• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
I know all too well about the mental thing. For me, my hands go back and therefore my body goes back as I "EEK"!

Punch it. When your hands go back, try to resist the urge to roll down the windows. Contract your heels toward your butt briefly, and then drive a two handed punch towards the chest of an invisible man standing in your landing spot. As your skis come parallel to your outrun, extend your legs a little again to make a soft landing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@MikeS If it were about the mechanics of it, I'm with you.....for me its a mental thing.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
@MikeS If it were about the mechanics of it, I'm with you.....for me its a mental thing.

Totally get it. For me, focusing on mechanics leaves less room for "oh my godddddd..." If I'm airing out a little drop I've done dozens of times before, I don't really think about it, and I just sail it and enjoy the ride. If it's a big drop I'm unfamiliar with, my entire evolution from releasing my skis to the fall line to bringing myself to a stop after landing consists of my brain running through technical points. "Where are my hands? Where are my feet? Where is my CoM? Scrub speed, set up the angle, good pop, hands forward, go for the grab, hold the grab, stay on target, release, extend, feel the snow, bring the skis under me, start my arcs, bring my speed down, stop." I'm so involved with the tech aspects of it that I don't have time to go "holy crap that's a long way down." Obviously YMMV.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Punch it. When your hands go back, try to resist the urge to roll down the windows. Contract your heels toward your butt briefly, and then drive a two handed punch towards the chest of an invisible man standing in your landing spot. As your skis come parallel to your outrun, extend your legs a little again to make a soft landing.

Probably the biggest air I've gotten was a cornice, not a cliff. And it did not end well. The first time around, I went over from standing still and everything was fine. The next lap, I started about 20 feet back to get a little speed. I remember thinking "Oh @@@, the ground is sure a long ways away." Sure enough, I started "rolling down the windows," landed on my tails, double ejected (leaving both skis sticking straight out) and slid a long ways.

My takeaway from that was "don't change your mind in the air."

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
When I was a teenager skiing Waterville I attempted a tip drop (tips drop straight down and then come back up; basically a less aggressive version of a backscratcher) after dropping off a lip. I ended up flat on my face, with no idea why, until I looked back and saw a broken piece of wood behind me. I figured my skis caught on and broke a trail sign (which I didn't remember seeing), until I realized the broken piece of wood was the front of my ski (purchased for $30 from a local discount store)....

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Pillow drops off the buried trees tops are quite fun when the snow piles deep atop Killington. Hazardous gnarly fun at its best. We need to get creative out East to keep us from getting bored.
Stash pillow drop.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just saw this and it made me think of this thread.
14484961_1322142651143881_1740985528085079675_n.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Good point. For example, the Waterfall under the main gondola at Stowe. I know lots of you have seen it. It looks tempting. Sooo tempting just sitting right there. Solid 15-20' drop. Glory to be had from onlookers on the gondi and on the trail below.

Only problem, flat landing. I've seen many a busted lip, black eye, and even some cracked facial bones from people who sent the Waterfall and got a face full of knee for their trouble. The guys who I know who have some experience hucking it will only do it after there's a solid base, and right after a big dump, like 2' or so. Even then, they'll typically land it in the backseat on purpose, landing it on their butt and back, with no attempt made at sticking the landing.

Don't do it, kids. Waterfall is bad, m'kay?

You just have to take it almost all the way to Gondolier and catch that last little bit of transition. Emil front flipped it like that gosh... 12 years ago? One of the gnarliest things I've ever seen. Or diving board from skiers left isn't too bad if you go slow.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Sweet thread..... the East is just so pedestrian due to the flat sketchy landings. I for one am always up for some roadside & side country hucks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Use it or lose it after age 40. Up til age 40 I could take 5 years off and still be comfortable on bigger airs by the end of the 2nd day back. Now, skiing a dozen times a year post age 50 I'm no longer all that comfortable with pretty easy stuff. Things really change with regard to your internal gyroscopes and balance post age 45, or they certainly did with me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Dean you must, must, must get to Grand Targhee. Cliff city. Wonderful snow. Looks like amazing cliffs from very small size to you'll die without some sort of deployable. Can't say we did any.

@FairToMiddlin , @Chris Geib , and i went out an access at the top of the Sacagawea lift. Our intent was to ski some woods before the cliffs. We go past the pole with a little ( tiny!) "Cliff" sign. Of course we figured that was the other spot, not where we're going! We followed some tracks out in the powder. (Did I mention Targhee has incredible powder??)

Well we kept going trying to see below but couldn't. Just the snow stopping and tops of trees. Was it just steep or a cliff? I should mention this wasn't totally an unknown. You could see the ridge we were on from the trail we cane down on from the other mountain. But at some point the cliffs started.

So we start slowing and stopped trying to figure it out. You couldn't tell, but we had a bad feeling. So we turned around and traversed out even though it involved some walking. Turned out from later scoping the cliff was 10-15ft into a very steep landing.

image.jpg

Don't have a good photo, but this is looking out the back of Targhee. Grand Teton is the peak. Upper right, if you zoom in you see tracks from cat skiers or hikers. That ridge though, goes to the rightfor quite a ways.just to the right if the tracks are big cliffs. They get progressivly smaller. That's the ridge we went out on.

I've heard they do some extreme comps on that ridge.

Here's a map. The ridge in question is that shaded cross hatched area.
1209418258.jpg

Just a note for people going to Targhee. Do not duck a rope unless your absolutely sure what you're getting into. Some are quite close to the point of no return free fall. And cornices break. Someone last season was killed ducking a rope near the top to take photos.

A few weeks before we were there in March 2015, an Australian was taking photos on the long traverse trail. (Headwall traverse I think) It turned out he was actually inside the rope and not taking photos but sitting. The cornice broke and he fell over a 250 ft cliff with the slide. He survived and was rescued by helicopter. Ironically the cliff was called the Aussie Drop.
http://www.tetongravity.com/story/s...ls-off-250-foot-cliff-trying-to-take-photo-of

Targhee is a gorgeous area. Simple too. Everyone loved it, some electing two days there instead of one over Jackson. The snow is key - they get near Utah levels of snow. More than Jackson. Outside of the cliffs they don't have the steeps of Jackson or the difficulty. So nice though.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes but I launched not knowing it was there which is how I kept form. Shock prevented rolling down the windows. And Bud was well off to the side when I was in the air. I remember seeing him to the left. Somehow the fronts of his skis got into the landing zone...
I did stick the landing! - head first canonballed into deep snow.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yes but I launched not knowing it was there which is how I kept form. Shock prevented rolling down the windows. And Bud was well off to the side when I was in the air. I remember seeing him to the left. Somehow the fronts of his skis got into the landing zone...
I did stick the landing! - head first canonballed into deep snow.

I recall a bit of a hunt for your skis. I think we found them a ways (quite a ways) downhill....