• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dropper versus no dropper test.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So I want do at time testing of dropper post versus no dropper post.

My goal, because I want to video to be good, controversial, and get lots of views are to be the first person to just time a loop of dropper post + 300 grams, and then no dropper post(or not using it) -300 gram. I plan to test in couple different local and I am going to be shooting at test loops of about 5- 10 minutes long, so that mishaps do not matter as much and will use trails I know really well. The loops I am planning out are zero sum vertical IE it will start and end at the same spot, so it should nt favor deccending, climbing or traversing.

My goal so I can ride the same bikes is this.

No dropper , ride and dont use the post

Dropper post, add 300 grams and use the dropper as much as I want.

Basically instead of taking the post off an on , i am going to just add weight when I am using, do you guys think this is fair? I also plan to test both hardtail and Full suspension.

IMO the question comes down to, Is the weight plenty of 300 grams and added range of motion let you ride you bike faster? or the 300 grams weight too much to overcome?

What do you guys think will be faster for myself? Is there are video out there that truly A&bs dropper versus no dropper with out switching the bike.....

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure what this will prove

Some descents would be impossible or really hard without a dropper.

Cornering will not be as efficient either.

Which is why you will never see any downhiller or Enduro rider with a high seat.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did it, for a full month. Same bike, same trails, all long enough to be statistically relevant. Still slightly slower with dropper.

@Josh Matta, you will be faster with dropper, since you've adapted to that style (probably the same reasoning holds for me, in the other direction).

@Rod9301 you are right about some descents not being possible without a dropper. In a week at Moab, there was one drop I could not confidently ride without a dropper (Captain Ahab, near the point where the trail truly starts descending). But.....it had enough consequence that it didn't bother me too much to walk it.

It did have me pondering the new AXS post. Maybe from Santa!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Not sure what this will prove

Some descents would be impossible or really hard without a dropper.

Cornering will not be as efficient either.

Which is why you will never see any downhiller or Enduro rider with a high seat.

I want the video to go viral, because unlike the others I have watched I am doing multiple days, with many bikes and different trails including some flats one. I think it clear what camp I am in, but I will give it my all no dropper to see how fast you can be.

I would love to have someone else who isnt used to a dropper ride with me as well to see how they would they do.

Pretty sure this is the drop you are talking about

I skipped it as well, but in 2013 last time I was there, I was riding this., 73 degree head angle and 425mm reach! not exactly confidence inspiring.

10273329_10153090384808357_7759654044818851105_o.jpg

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The knowing how to ride with a dropper factor is huge. It took me @ 3 months to really embrace using the dropper all the time-not just high for climbs or slammed down for descents, but micro adjusting across all types of terrain

I have a buddy who has recently jumped on a new bike with dropper and he never uses it---he's no faster with one than without one.

Sounds like a fun test, Josh--though taking a dropper on and off a bike is a drag.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Read the op I am not taking the post off an on

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Again, you're adding weight when you do use the dropper?

I don't think that adds anything to the concept. If you're trying to make a clean point about dropper advantage, doing weight that way is a distraction. In no way does it keep anything constant. Hell, in a guy your size +/- 300g is a variance we'd see just based on hydration level.

Of course, if you're just going for controversy and virality - go for it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I see his point. The downside of having dropper is the additional 300g. So unless he wants to remove the dropper post, this is the easiest way to even the playing field.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see his point. The downside of having dropper is the additional 300g. So unless he wants to remove the dropper post, this is the easiest way to even the playing field.

I don't follow, sorry. I get that the weight penalty of a dropper over a rigid post is 300g, but the proposed video structure is:

Bike X with dropper post (used) | Bike X with dropper post (on bike but not used) + extra 300g

^ I don't see an even playing field there, explain? ^

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah its looking like this is a next year project anyway....

but yeah no way I am taking a dropper out with internal routing....I am just leaving it in for both test. When I can use I am adding 300 grams, when I cannt use normal weight but I wont use it. Same bike/same rider others wise.

Hell if other want to join, I would love anyone else but would especially love someone who has never used a dropper and someone who has one but is in the process of adapting.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I don't follow, sorry. Bike X with dropper post (used) | Bike X with dropper post (on bike but not used) + extra 300g <- I don't see an even playing field there?

you got it backwards. I am adding the weight when I can use it.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ride without a dropper and have only used one a couple of times. I also ride a hardtail and flats. Probably the exact opposite of Josh. He is probably fast, and I am not. About the only common denominator is we are both male.

I have long legs and just get my whole butt and body in back of the seat when I need to. I don't think that prevents me from going down anything that I have the courage too. The hard tail is more limiting than a dropper in my opinion. I did rent a FS bike with dropper in the Kingdom trails in VT last year. I liked the dropper and I feel it makes the bike easier to ride, and probably faster. Its a lot easier to lower the post and slide back to front at whatever height you want, than to have to pop off the back of the seat and drop down. I did get tire marks on my butt once when I dropped down a little too far.

Josh, I don't think I would make a good test partner, though, sorry. That's not me, but I resemble his form.

p5pb8985086.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is the caption from that pic:
"It's been a while since I've high-posted a drop (or ridden 26" wheels), but this shot from 2012 illustrates how we did it before the dropper revolution."

I guess he is saying he has his dropper post at max height. He must have talked to Josh and did the test 8 years early. I wonder if he added 300 grams????

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
He has a dropper in that pic.

Yeah but he didnt use it? :huh: :roflmao:

With modern geometry trail bikes I find I have to be more towards the front where back in the day in my XC bikes I had to be as far rearward as I could on the downhill tech stuff or I would risk crashing most times. Now I feel that if I do that I loose too much front wheel traction and steering control. That said I still use the dropper a lot mainly for ease and comfort.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB , to me it's at least as much about cornering on downhills (think upper/lower body separation) as it is about straight line fore/aft movement.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find dropping the dropper useful on tight uphill switchbacks also.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm sorry, but denying the utility of the dropper post at this point just looks like willful ignorance to me. To each his own, have fun and all that.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious, who is denying the utility of the dropper post? If you think its me, I am not. I don't have one because my bike didn't come with one. I would definitely like to add one, and when I have the time to make sure it will work on my frame I will.

Josh was looking for someone who has never used one, and that is basically me. I get by without one, but I would certainly prefer to have one.

Sponsor