• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drool worthy tools

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
https://silca.cc/collections/workbench/products/t-handle-folio

Every bike should be so lucky as to be touched by these.

I'll post pictures later, but what are your favorite tools? Mine are a 5mm Wiha allen key I've had for ages, a Shimano TC-CT10 cable cutter that I've had since 1989 or so, a wood handled Shimano chain tool, and a $400+ Silca Pump with the Hiro head. You're gonna have 'em a long time, might as well have good tools.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Seriously? $185 for allen keys? $450 for a floor pump jut to show your hands are too big for the regular pista pump? I wouldn't have that stuff in my tool box.

dm

scott43

Skier
Those examples may be true Dave..but..there are times when seemingly expensive tools are worth it. Silca pumps last forever..I've had mine for 30 years..still going strong. The Campy tool kit has amazingly good tools in it. If you're hacking stuff at home and have used vise grips because you didn't have the proper tool..you would appreciate the quality occasionally..but maybe not enough to pay for it.. :)

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Campy tools are good but most of mine are obsolete now. I'm gonna sell them as soon as the collector Italian tool market takes off. Silca pumps were good too, but Medais were easier to use and faster, and I have a 47 year old one that still works regardless that there's been no company support since about 1995. Any tool that costs more than the equivalent Snap-on is not a tool at all, it's really just a gift that your rich asshole brother in law gives you to prove he is richer than you.

Either that or the value of the dollar against the Euro is so low that we need to re-examine the role of monetary policy in determining international prices.

dm

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are always those willing to parted from their money. There is a fine line “between good, expensive and worth it” and “are you stupid”

This one falls in the latter.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've noted that the "bike people" seem to more or less obsessed with the names and niceities that go along with pedal power.

The gravity driven group may be slightly less consumed.

It's OK, they are not hurting anyone with their obsession...;-)

$18 each for a nicely handled wrench isn't actually outside the norm if purchased one by one. A bit spendy as a set however. I do like the solid feel of tee handled tools, opposed to sockets, extensions and adapters etc. I make them up as required.

scott43

Skier
Honestly..when I was in the business..the most useful tools were the humble 8-9-10mm y-wrench and the 4-5-6mm y-allen wrench. Proper cable cutters (not side-cutters), decent 13-14-15mm cone wrenches, Park spoke wrenches (1.5, 1.8, 2.0). And of course the myriad specialty tools..all I can say is, if you use a cheap tool when it's your job and the tool fails, you're losing money.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I think I’d be lost without my Park 3-way 4-5-6mm and my Pedro’s 3-way Torx.

The old purple Hayes Brake pad shim tool is always a lifesaver with frustrating brakes.

All 3 of these tools are ~$10

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But that's never true about skis or boots..or ski jackets, etc..

You beat me to this. Value is clearly not universal for any product or item including skis. If you value it, it’s worth the price, whatever “it” is.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What ever the market will "bear".

But stop with all the Name Dropping! Jeesh! Guchi!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In all seriousness, I own some top of the line tools as they are all thats available at the time, I also have some cheap cheap Harbor Freight and Princess Auto and Busy Bee Tools that far out perform and out last the similar expensive tools on the market (the difference they don’t look pretty). Nice thing is if they break or get lost there are no tears.

Truthfully its not the tool but the user that make the difference. Same goes for skis and bikes.

As a side note, about 35 years ago I met and old Englishman, that had a full machine shop and all of the machines where manufactured from wood.by him. SERIOUS! I saw the work he did......amazing. I wish I get near his skill level in my lifetime.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've noted that the "bike people" seem to more or less obsessed with the names and niceities that go along with pedal power.
Maybe I'm "a bit" biased, but I have same feeling. Sure there's whole bunch of high prices due "right name" in skiing or any other sport, but I have feeling that either marketing and PR is super good in cycling or users are just a little bit easier to fool. You can literally sell shit for price of gold as long as you start new trend that with this shit you get extra 0.01W ;) But then again, maybe alpine skiing is a bit specific, as in my mind it's the only sport where you actually perform worse with top end gear that you are not capable of use, then with lower end gear that fits your capabilities. With cycling for example, you can ride as good with real pro tour bike as you would with ($5000 cheaper) bike fitting your abilities. You won't gain those few % out of that real race bike, but you won't be any worse becase of it. With skiing, you will actually ski worse with FIS DH skis, then you would with recreational skis, if you are not able to ski on race level.
Anyway a bit more on topic... I'm sick of my presta adapter that I need to put/screw on presta valve to use air compressor (with shreder head) to fill my mtb tires. It's great tool to have with me in case I get flat and co2 bomb is not enough and gas station with air compressor is somewhere near, but for home, I would want some decent head that would fit straight to presta valve without any adapters. Any suggestions for that, and regardless on this thread, not something for 30, 40 or even $180... yeah I have seen super cool (beats me what is so super cool to be worth so much) presta heads for $180.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
You guys would hate these.

https://abbeybiketools.com

I'll admit, I don't have any, but some of them are "necessary" if you work on your own stuff. I'd have the suspension sockets if I had not already gotten the proper sockets and had a machine shop grind the chamfers off. The soft alloy sockets are still better though.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online