• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drone spooks horse at Silverton Skijoring

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, look up what "piaffe" is. My wife rides with an Irish Olympian who trains horses to piaffe by riding them down to the llama farm near his barn. If he can stay on, the horse will learn to piaffe (I'm pretty sure he always stays on).
I have seen that, on video. (I have been forced to watch Olympic dressage. Not sure how long I made it)

Omg! Horses are insane! I had no idea they were so...particular.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
But nobody is talking about using horses for "skijoring" ... like that is OK ?

My guess is that the horses really like the skijoring. They seem to like horse racing and with skijoring they don't even have anyone on their back.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My guess is that the horses really like the skijoring. They seem to like horse racing and with skijoring they don't even have anyone on their back.
They do here. http://whitefishskijoring.com
9647898_orig.jpg

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I guess this form of archaic entertainment is still widely accepted in some remote areas.

I am not surprised.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I guess this form of archaic entertainment is still widely accepted in some remote areas.

I am not surprised.

The "archaic entertainment" of skiing is older, approximately 20,000 years ago.
The "archaic entertainment" of domesticated horses is more recent, approximately 5,000 years ago.

So those of us who ski without horses are actually practicing a more archaic means of transportation..... think about that.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm actually not getting what the issue is. Why is skijoring from the point of view of the horse any different than being ridden? Are you against riding horses as well?

It couldn't possibly be you're worried about a horse pulling something as light as a guy on skis?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The real issue as I see it is the safety of having horses making tight turns on a race course covered in snow. The rider and the skier part is pretty irrelevant. It's having horses run where the footing is dangerous. On that part, I agree with you. All three horses slipped and fell. I'd say that course design could mitigate this.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
When I ski jored with our horses we never ran in the snow. A slow lope. Our animals and safety are priority one. Like any activity, common sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
The warm temps seem to have been an issue. 3 incidents since 1949 in Leadville.
Using animals in a way that could be potentially harmful for entertainment purposes is not ok in my book and thankfully there are growing number of people that understand this.
Well that eliminates all riding except for working, transportation in the mountains.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I agree, this is not funny ...

Childish postings are detracting from the real issue.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's get back to the drone/skijoring part of the topic please. We aren't here to determine what is ethical or not.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s a site that reviews the applicable regulations covering drones.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/learn-the-drone-laws/

The penalties for for reckless flying are pretty stiff. The person who caused this problem needs a lawyer.

I fly remote control aircraft from time to time and belong to the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). Most members fly safely.

Sponsor

Staff online