• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drone spooks horse at Silverton Skijoring

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Formal training in appropriate use should be required for folks wanting to acquire drones, and ALL personal drones should have an identifying signal emission device so their owner can be found.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
yes but doesn't that only punish the drone owners who are compliant with the laws? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: sorry, couldn't resist and I'm on meds :)

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Formal training in appropriate use should be required for folks wanting to acquire drones, and ALL personal drones should have an identifying signal emission device so their owner can be found.

eh no. Well we already basically have way to figure out who we are but training? what training? Honestly dont do dumb stuff, and youll be fine.

I think the problem here is playing with a animal that can not be controlled, in unknown situations.

Anyone who thinks that a horse wont do something to hurt someone, at some point in time is delusional.

With that said I am certain there was no laws being broken by the drone user.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
From 2017...............monetary damages for pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life. OK. Sounds legit.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I go to my wife's dressage shows. Do you know how often a horse freaks because somebody has an umbrella? Or because there is a farm with cows 1/2 mile away. Let's not even talk about Llamas....

Yeah horses can be very unpredictable. Any number of things can spook them and sometimes it's just that day...normally that horse is easy going, but today he is just weird.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were some issues with drone usage at an event in Tahoe recently and I thought of this thread.
I don't want to see regulations applied to drone users, but dang wouldn't it be nice if people used some common sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
I go to my wife's dressage shows. Do you know how often a horse freaks because somebody has an umbrella? Or because there is a farm with cows 1/2 mile away. Let's not even talk about Llamas....
Could we hear about the Llamas? We went to a Llama farm near Williamstown. More Alpacas. I think the Alpacas protected the Llamas, can't remember.
Don't know much about horses, but years ago did some riding in Flagstaff, AZ . I remember the woman telling me that AZ horses are spooked by water. They don't see it much. So puddles on the trail can spook them. At the rodeo, the non bronc or bull riding events, you lose points if your hat comes off. In the barrel racing those women fly. I've seen a horse spooked by a hat coming off on a trail. I'm guessing this issue is likely the root of the rodeo rule.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
My local bump is posted "Drone Free". No dogs either, but that is a different issue.

Same worries though.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Horses can be weird. Years ago my brother got on a horse for pony trekking in Scotland and the house had a thing about the sound made by nylon windbreakers. Understand, my brother somehow had never been on a horse in his life (I had, don't know how he escaped) and the horse took off. My brother knew nothing about use of the reins or even Whoa. We hadn't gotten that far in the mini lesson before the trek. The guide had to take off after them. Brother's comment: "It seems I've been issued a defective unit." Good times.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let’s see, horse drags a skier intentionally good, lose control in drunken fun (assumed) of horse, blame drone. :doh:

In all seriousness, drones (model aircraft) have been around for years no issues (relatively speaking). The issue is at which these new aircraft can be flown easily making it accessible for the masses. Unfortunately, that includes the few “fools” which cause issues and results in the situation we have today.

I think the solution is to restrict the Fools :rolleyes:.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Could we hear about the Llamas?

Well, look up what "piaffe" is. My wife rides with an Irish Olympian who trains horses to piaffe by riding them down to the llama farm near his barn. If he can stay on, the horse will learn to piaffe (I'm pretty sure he always stays on).

armed&dangerous

Booting up
Skier
my wife also shows dressage horses. The things can literally freak out at the drop of a hat. A drone would cause a stampede.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
But nobody is talking about using horses for "skijoring" ... like that is OK ?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
But nobody is talking about using horses for "skijoring" ... like that is OK ?
It is ok. I've done it with my own horses. Drone near horse stupid idea.
facebook_1437704786279.jpg