• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
Going to Keystone for the first time this weekend and driving from Denver Int'l. Is it better to exit off 70 at Loveland onto US6 and come in from the north, or continue on 70 to Silverthorne and get on to US6 there?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Use smartphone to track weather/road conditions on Loveland Pass, if clear and you're arriving in daylight it is super scenic and fun, but slow and curvy. If weather/conditions are questionable it's safer, flatter, and a bit faster to go to Silverthorne/Dillon exit on 70.
Scenic stop on Rt 6 and Loveland Pass:
LL

Last edited:

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I lived in Denver with the Keystone/A-Basin season pass, I always took the Silverthorne route. Exit 70 through Loveland Pass is a narrow, two lane road with lots of hairpin turns. With the slower driving speed due to the switchbacks, it didn't seem to save any time to Keystone unless there was a traffic jam near the tunnel. Either way, it never seemed worth it to me to monitor the conditions to (maybe) save a couple of minutes, especially when through Silverthorne was such an easy straight shot.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you nervous driving single lane mountain roads at elevation with no guard rails and steep drop offs? Could potentially be snow packed and/or icy? Gusty winds? If so, drive to Silverthorne. Views are great going over Loveland and you get a decent view of A Basin. If you are driving during ski traffic time then you may want to be aware that there will be those that can be impatient and not appreciative of you slowing down to check it out.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Given the forecast, 70 is probably your better choice. Also gives you a chance to stock up on groceries and booze if you didn't do that in Denver.

Sunday looks to be the only day without potential snow. If you're going up in the afternoon that day, it might be ok. Keep in mind rental cars are not equipped with snow tires.