• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi, I could use some info about winter driving in the Whites. Specifically, I will be living in East Haverhill this winter, which is to the west of Mt. Moosilauke. There are a ton of ski areas "nearby," but as someone who hasn't yet spent a winter in the region, I'm not sure what roads are passable in snowy weather and which are not.

Loon, for example, is close as the crow flies but may be inaccessible. Cannon seems to be more logistically feasible?

I know I'll find this out eventually as winter approaches and I talk to people in the area, but I can't help thinking about my skiing options and wonder if there's anyone on here familiar with these roads who could tell me what is passable and what I should avoid, and maybe where you would ski if you lived in East Haverhill? (I have front-wheel-drive and very little ground clearance. I'm getting by with studded winter tires until I can afford to buy a more robust vehicle).

Thanks for any input!

Sallycat

Screenshot 2019-06-17 20.59.39.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
It looks like your closest two mountains are Cannon and Burke.

You are back behind the White Mountain ski areas of Loon, Cannon, Bretton Woods, and Waterville Valley. Cannon looks like it will be the shortest drive of all, about 45 minutes. To get an accurate reading on Google maps, ask for directions to Mittersill Alpine Resort, not Cannon Mountain. The map app will direct you to Mittersill, which is right next to the Peabody Lodge at Cannon, the main entrance. (Google Maps has Cannon's entrance over at the tram on I-93, which is not where you'll be going most of the time.)

The back roads leading to Cannon from East Haverhill are kept well plowed in winter. NH does a fine job of keeping its roads clear. Take the northernmost route via 116 to get to Franconia, then up the hill on Rte 18 to Cannon's main entrance. If that hill gives your car trouble (it shouldn't with studs), you can go into Franconia to get easy access to I-93 South. Go a little ways south on the interstate and take exit 34-C to the right; that will put you on 18 which will take you to Cannon's main entrance. It shouldn't add more than 5 minutes to your drive. Do not go to Lincoln then north on I-93 on a snowy day. That takes you through Franconia Notch, and you don't want to be going through the notch when it's snowing.

On the other hand, you'll be living close to I-91. You can get on it and go straight north to Burke without having to travel on winding back roads. I don't mind those back roads, but some people prefer to drive on an interstate.

I think Cannon and Burke are the closest ski areas to you. I've been to Burke only once; others can talk about how it skis. I can talk about Cannon if you like. Its pass holders are fiercely loyal.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You might want to take a spin on the Kancamagus Highway, 112, before winter. "The Kank".

You really should get dedicated snow tires. Maybe even studded for ice.
The other thing driving on NH roads that are not the big ones is the frost heaves. It would be comical if not so annoying and sometimes dangerous.

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
You might want to take a spin on the Kancamagus Highway, 112, before winter. "The Kank".

You really should get dedicated snow tires. Maybe even studded for ice.
The other thing driving on NH roads that are not the big ones is the frost heaves. It would be comical if not so annoying and sometimes dangerous.

Thanks! I'm moving to my NH home later this week and will definitely explore as much as possible before snow falls!

My car is an '09 VW Jetta Wagon, which is HEAVY AF. I have studded winter tires and they have been really great. I worked at a ski resort last year in central VT and never had any trouble at all getting to or from work despite living on a mountain and working on another mountain. I mean, yeah, I did some light grooming for the town of South Pomfret with my chassis, but you know I never charged them for it. ogsmile

TBH the ice scares the bejeebus out of me more than anything else and I was pretty confident last winter. Then again, if the traction had ever failed that heavy mofo would have got me into a pickle or two. But it never failed.

I'm stuck with this car for another winter on account of general poverty, but it doesn't sound as though it will slow down my skiing!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My car is an '09 VW Jetta Wagon, which is HEAVY AF. I have studded winter tires and they have been really great.
We went through some bad Tahoe winters with a 10 JSW with snows...not even studded ones and didn't have a problem, we get more snow but New Hampshire probably gets more ice and thats where your studded snows make the difference.

James

Out There
Instructor
@SallyCat, last season you were working at Bromley, is that right?
That pass on rte 11 from/to Manchester past Bromley can be terrible. Last season I managed to catch two snowstorms there. In November. Going up it with unplowed 4 inches, cars all over the place, then someone in front going too slowly. Even a month ago, some incredible heavy rain at night with fog and nearly invisible road lines.

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
That pass on rte 11 from/to Manchester past Bromley can be terrible. Last season I managed to catch two snowstorms there. In November. Going up it with unplowed 4 inches, cars all over the place, then someone in front going too slowly. Even a month ago, some incredible heavy rain at night with fog and nearly invisible road lines.

Yeah, I drove up from PA to Windsor, VT one night in heavy rain and fog and it that route, from Manchester all the way to the highway, was one of the worst drives I've ever done. Was relieved to reach 91 only to find it almost as bad; in and out of thick pockets of fog the whole way. .

I wasn't at Bromley btw, but a slightly more northern mountain. I won't name it because it was a toxic and dysfunctional workplace and I quite literally almost did not survive my time there.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Oh. I just looked it up. Not much visible on the map for East Haverhill.
The Oliverian School looks interesting. On its home page it says Cannon Mountain is 25 minutes away.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With studs don't worry about it, just stay of the dirt roads. Frozen rutted roads and low clearance do not get along well. Lots of us drive 200 or 300 miles in snow, ice and traffic to get up there so you'll have a good head start. If the snow is good you can park a car on the backside of Cannon and take the other car to the ski area, take the lift up, and ski down to the car. I never had a spotter so we didn't do it.

Here's Kinsman Glade looking down at the notch

20180107_115314.jpg

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loon's not out of range anymore then Cannon is. We take 112 across from Woodsville everytime we go up there. Great road? no, but scenic yea.

Here's an idea if you don't want to dedicate yourself to one mountain or pass. Ski the original Ski 93. They are all open again.

IMG_0300.JPG

A little Walking Boss Woods at Loon in April. It was awesome