• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Drive-In Movies at Squaw

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1593665844698.png
NEW! DRIVE-IN MOVIES AT SQUAW
Dinner and a movie sounds great, right? Just announced, three days of drive-in movies over the July 4th holiday weekend at Squaw Valley.
Grab a meal to-go in The Village and enjoy it from the comfort of your car under the starry skies. Get your tickets early, we do expect these movies to sell out.
Each showing will be $40/car

July 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
This video game-inspired adventure stars one of the world's fastest blue hedgehogs as he helps defeat an evil genius. Starring Jim Carrey and James Marsden.

July 4
Sing
Theatre owner, and koala, Buster Moon hosts a singing competition to save his struggling theatre. There's a mishap involving a glass eye, a few extra zeros inadvertently added to the prize money by an elderly iguana, and animals from across Calatonia join the competition.

July 5
Field of Dreams
"If you build it, he will come". Need we say more?

For details on tickets and availability go here

To see what's open go here

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
While I appreciate drive-in movies have a mythologised role in American culture (& sexual history) are these things really popular as a "fun" activity (making out & sex excluded)? $40 to see old movies you could stream in the comfort of your own big screen TV for $3? And family event - how good is the view from the back seat of anything? Aren't the kids going to be sitting on the hood or roof anyway?

I get that a drive-in screening of Grease could make for a fun outdoor summer party but in COVID times the things that would make it fun like audience participation can't really happen.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While I appreciate drive-in movies have a mythologised role in American culture (& sexual history) are these things really popular as a "fun" activity (making out & sex excluded)? $40 to see old movies you could stream in the comfort of your own big screen TV for $3? And family event - how good is the view from the back seat of anything? Aren't the kids going to be sitting on the hood or roof anyway?

I get that a drive-in screening of Grease could make for a fun outdoor summer party but in COVID times the things that would make it fun like audience participation can't really happen.
Well Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty new... just came out this year.

I used to love going to the drive-in as a kid... I was pretty young though and it was the early 80's. I wonder what kids think of it now? Might still find it cool to go to a movie in your car like I did. I do remember having either the speaker you could hang on your window, or you could tune to the right station on the radio.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I remember back in probably 1980 or so..I was visiting my buddy and he was older than me by probably five years. And his buddy rolled in and he could drive! So first buddy's mom sees second buddy and says"Jesus Doug where have you been?? Your shirts all untucked, your fly is down, your hair is a mess, and you got some kinda sore on your neck...". And I can remember Doug trying to fix these things in real time as mom was saying it and it was the funniest thing.. then she says "You were at the drive-in I bet...". Innocent days... :ogbiggrin:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Disagree ...strongly! It's all about the fun factor. We've been staying home and watching Netflix and having sex for months now. It's time for something different! It doesn't really matter what movie they show!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty new... just came out this year.

I used to love going to the drive-in as a kid... I was pretty young though and it was the early 80's. I wonder what kids think of it now? Might still find it cool to go to a movie in your car like I did. I do remember having either the speaker you could hang on your window, or you could tune to the right station on the radio.
Pffft. I was in high school in the early 80s and the drive-in near us was still a great place to go. I remember it being more of a social hangout.
We did watch movies there, but the placement of your car pretty much told the story about why you were there. The farther away from the screen, the more you got out of the car and socialized while you were watching.
I recall the popcorn and hot dogs were pretty good.

The only time I went to the drive-in with a boyfriend we were in a Pontiac Fiero. There wasn't much of the American Culture (& sexual history) that fatbob eluded to going on in a Fiero. ;)
IIRC we saw Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome.

Sponsor

Staff online