• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Drive from Denver to Aspen or Steamboat

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Is AWD or SUV needed? Im pretty sure it note needed since its a well plowed highway many of the money making resorts. But I read there a new Col. law that requires M/S tires or AWD vehicles. Does the rental agency equip them with M/S tires?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
It all depends, call them and see what they say. I wouldn’t want to go over Rabbit Ears, Eisenhower or Vail pass without decent snow tires if there is any chance of snow. Not to mention you could likely be sitting in traffic with everyone else trying to go up from the front range. There is nothing more frustrating that waiting in traffic for an ill prepared car that can’t get up the incline. Our AWD suv that we keep offsite from DIA at a parking garage sits on winter tires year around. If one of the passes get closed due to snow (or accidents), the reroute around can be pretty treacherous.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Normal all-season tires are all M+S, so you are fine in the legal sense.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I've driven over Vail Pass many times in rental cars, none of them AWD and none with snow tires. If it's snowing it can be a bit sketchy, but we just go slow. If it's really bad they close the pass.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost cancelled an SUV rental a few years ago before heading to Vail, but then there was some snow that showed up in the forecast a few days before we left. I was glad I had the SUV when we got stuck waiting for the Eisenhower tunnel to re-open after a crash. There was snow removal equipment (front end loaders) literally getting behind ill-equipped cars and pushing them up the hill or off the road. Some folks got diverted to (or decided to take) Loveland Pass when they closed the highway just behind us; I wouldn't have wanted to do that drive without snow tires or AWD.

20150204_165123 ACR Conv.jpg

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve done it once driving solo in a snowstorm in the tiniest speck of a rental car and it was super terrifying. M+S/All Seasons check the box on the legal requirement, but I’d either go with the 4WD, plan to have some travel flexibility to leave and beat a storm coming through (which, who wants to do that?) or grab a pair of chains on your way out of town. It’s against most rental car regulations, but I’d they’re well secured and you go slow, the odds of doing damage are quite low. Plus shops will take them back if they aren’t used.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always get a SUV 4x4. I don’t get out west every week so the last thing I want to do is screw up my ski week to save the $100-150 difference. Pretty much everytime I’ve been out there I’ve needed it and been glad I had it.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
Generally Vail Pass will be a higher priority than Rabbit Ears pass if the weather gets bad. It is not unusual for Rabbit Ears to be closed for 12 hours or so in a storm. If they open it I would take a fwd over it but I am used to driving in snow.

I 70 between Denver and Vail actually closes more often than Rabbit Ears but for shorter times, rockfalls and idiot drivers are the usual causes.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
wouldn’t want to go over Rabbit Ears, Eisenhower or Vail pass without decent snow tires if there is any chance of snow.
I would avoid going over any of those passes if it’s likely to snow, specially Vail pass. The chance of getting stuck in horrendous traffic jam is high.

the last thing I want to do is screw up my ski week to save the $100-150 difference. P
The difference is often a lot more than that. I’ve often seen it at double the cost.

For years, I’ve only rented compact cars. I was more “resource constrained“ then. I managed to get to where I need to be by watching the weather and planning accordingly.

Now I have a place to stay that’s up some marginally plowed dirt road. So I needed the AWD to just get home. I do find having awd a nice luxury. I can park wherever I like without worrying too much about being able to pull out. There’s also a bit more flexibility when the weather is somewhat marginal. Nice, but by no means necessary.

Still, I try not to go over any pass when it’s snowing hard, even with an AWD.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The 4WD won't help you at all going downhill. You need the tires or the chains. I'd be more inclined to rent a "whatever" car and buy some chains for it if it doesn't come with snow tires. Likely to cost less than renting a 4WD, and you are assured of having good traction for both uphill and downhill driving.

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve driven DEN to Aspen hundreds of times in rentals. Mostly in 2wd.
Only once, did I not make it. I-70 was closed at Georgetown and 40 was closed at Tabernash.

Reserve a cheapie and a 4wd backup. Pick up the one appropriate for conditions.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 4WD won't help you at all going downhill. You need the tires or the chains. I'd be more inclined to rent a "whatever" car and buy some chains for it if it doesn't come with snow tires. Likely to cost less than renting a 4WD, and you are assured of having good traction for both uphill and downhill driving.

Note that all the rental places I have seen state you may not use chains on their vehicles.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is AWD or SUV needed? Im pretty sure it note needed since its a well plowed highway many of the money making resorts. But I read there a new Col. law that requires M/S tires or AWD vehicles. Does the rental agency equip them with M/S tires?

It all depends on conditions. Most days you can do it on a motorcycle but on days where the weather gets bad you are much safer with a AWD/4WD vehicle with AT or Winter Tires.

Sponsor