• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
In the old days, injuries on the hill were mostly self-inflicted. I don't know what the statistics say, but anecdotally it seems like more and more the risk lies not in ourselves, but in our fellow snow sports enthusiasts. (Notice how I didn't single out snowboarders).
I experienced a collision myself last winter, when another guy (as large as I am) hit me from the side. Fortunately we were traveling in more or less the same direction, so the impact was far less than it might have been. But it was still a hell of a jolt. Had I been a smaller person, I would have ended up at Vail Valley Medical Center. Instead I was no more worse for wear than Case Keenum after being clobbered by a defensive lineman.
A ski patroller saw the whole incident, and the offender was clearly at fault. Since, I didn't seem hurt, I shrugged it off and let the guy go, without getting his information (which was a mistake, because many injuries don't show up while the adrenaline is still flowing).
I always ski with my head on a swivel; it gets pounded into us every day at ski school. But since then, I have been thinking more and more about the safety parallels between road cycling and skiing.
Yes you can hurt yourself an a bike, but the greatest worry is getting hurt by someone else, especially someone driving a vehicle.
When I first started road biking, I bought tasteful looking kit, eschewing what I thought looked tacky. But I was missing the whole point: bright colors can save your life!
In another thread, the question was asked about whether or not skittles colors were still in. The overwhelming reply was no; muted earth tone colors were in.
I am not sure that is such a good thing.
Granted, if you ski off piste or in the bumps, congestion is not usually a big deal, but in the early season there are no such options. And even in mid-season, you still need to make your way off the mountain. And virtually every mountain North America features a late-afternoon $h!t show. Which color is safer then: taupe or fluorescent yellow?
As the uphill capacity grows ever greater, is skiing likely to get safer? I doubt it.
Will we see a trend toward defensive ski attire? Maybe.
Is it impossible to imagine a time when ski helmets come with a flashing light on the back? Hmmmm.
Well, I am off to the WROD at Loveland.
This is what you will see, if you run into me from behind.
65551_135-4-back.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember when Richie Rich (on Epic) was modeling and acting, he was adamant about wearing armor, to a point that he was over the top. His intent was to protect his livelihood.
IMGA0239.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think the color "thing" is real. Have had experiences driving, on motorcycles and bikes, and countless ones on the ocean where bright colors saved lives. Had not thought much about it with respect to skiing. Which is kind of surprising. My wife and I both learned to ski at two. So 60+ years of this. Her mom's ski career ended when she was hit at Vail, and broke her femur, at about age 75. Lots of screws and plates to "fix" her.

My wife and I have a lot of ski clothing. Our mid layers are all pretty bright, but the outer shells, the pants, the jackets and helmets are all various blues, black, gray, silver. The brightest thing with me are lime green Komperdell poles.

Thinking that for the very crowed days, Santa may be looking for a couple of bright colored shells.

Agree on RR. Great entertainment. A legend.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a bright red jacket for this reason and so that my son can easily spot me when there’s a good distance between us. I still have black pants, though.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've been hit more in the last ten years at Breck, once with significant consequences, than in my previous 68 years of skiing. Here mine all have been in ski school uniform. I free ski in bright colors.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Someone should integrate bicyclist rear view eyeglass fixtures with goggles

Reactions: Ron
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I've been hit more in the last ten years at Breck, once with significant consequences, than in my previous 68 years of skiing. Here mine all have been in ski school uniform. I free ski in bright colors.
There is a reason why there are so many law firms advertising on billboards on I-70.
The problem is that Vail Resorts (and others) have no interest in enforcing the responsibility code, since the legislature indemnified ski areas for all but the most egregious negligence.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This year I actually bought an orange shell(well it's actually blue and orange but it's a start)after decades of wearing dark grey and black. Dark muted colors actually used to be hard to find now I'm have trouble finding anything bright. I even briefly considered a "hi-vis" work jacket for skiing but didn't want to be confused with maintenance staff or a first responder.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
You'd be surprised how many motorcyclists talk safety then buy black leathers or textiles.. :huh: Gotta represent I guess..