• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Drahtguy Kevin’s 2019 Thumbnail Reviews: Sub-85mm Skis

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic Redster G9
Dimensions: 110-68-95.5
Radius: 18.5m@177cm
Sizes: 165, 171, 177, 183
Size tested: 183
Design: Carryover

Fast. Stable. Calm. Fun. The ServoTec band makes this groomer-centric rocket ship awe-inspiring. The firm tip responds effortlessly. Edge hold is superior, and the tail is solid. This ski loves speed and rewards those willing to feed it.
  • Who is it for? Speed demons with wide open groomers to let ‘em run.
  • Who is it not for? The timid. The G9 will eat your lunch and puke down your throat.
  • Insider tip: Crowded runs are not advised. Give these guys space.

Atomic Redster X9
Dimensions: 114-65.5-99.5
Radius: 15.4m@169cm
Sizes: 169, 175, 181
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover/NGT

The X9 has a definite race ski feel with the expected secure edge grip through the turn and a tummy-tingling pop at the finish. The X9 is quick from edge to edge and likes to have input from the pilot. A dandy ride for those looking to rip groomers or firm conditions.
  • Who is it for? Skiers with skills. High edge angles are rewarded exponentially.
  • Who is it not for? Backseat skiers will spend lots of time picking up the pieces.
  • Insider tip? This ski likes to be driven and rewards those with skill.

Blizzard Firebird Competition

Dimensions: 121.5-70-104
Radius: 14.5m@172cm
Sizes: 154, 160, 166, 172, 178
Size tested: 172
Design: All New

A quick hookup and exponential energy from turn to turn make this ski an exciting and rewarding ride. Power and precision are attributes skilled riders will enjoy for turns to come. The Comp is not as demanding as the SRC, which is expected with the slightly larger turn radius.
  • Who is it for? Technical aficionados will do well with this ski.
  • Who is it not for? Heel pushers need not apply. These skis live to be on edge
  • Insider tip: Go for an aggressive tune to make the most of these skis.

Blizzard Firebird SRC

Dimensions: 121-68-105
Radius: 12.5m@165cm
Sizes: 155, 160, 165, 170
Size tested: 165

Wow. Lots o’ turns in little time. This is a lot of ski in a little package and needs a dedicated commander. Outstanding turn initiation gets these scalpels zipping across the fall line at warp speed.
  • Who is it for? Slalom enthusiasts have a new friend.
  • Who is it not for? The faint of heart. These skis are fast and edgy.
  • Insider tip: Pay attention as to not get left behind.

Fischer Curv GT
Dimensions: 129-80-112
Radius: 16m@175cm
Sizes: 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 182
Design: Carryover/NGT

Performance reigns supreme in this groomer-oriented ripper. A responsive tip; outstanding flex, strength, and grip; and a top-notch tail make this ski a pure joy to command. The Curv GT will change turn sizes on a whim whether at speed or not. Kudos, Fischer.
  • Who is it for? Those seeking a ski to up their game that isn’t overly demanding.
  • Who is it not for? Low intermediates won’t get the most out of this ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t overlook this versatile ski.

Head Monster 83

Dimensions: 131-83-110
Radius: 16.7m@177cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

I heard much buzz about this ski from other Pug testers so I wanted to see what it was about. A new tip shape, build, and flex pattern are in store for 2019, and Head got it right. Snow feel is spectacular. The new tip and flex make the ski easy to maneuver at a variety of speeds and supply the bang I so enjoy at the end of the turn. Seems year after year that Head is leading the pack, and the Monster 83 will keep that streak alive.
  • Who is it for? People wanting a versatile ski that is at home anywhere on the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers seeking a specific tool. This is the Leatherman of skis.
  • Insider tip: Skis true to size.

Liberty VMT V76
Dimensions: 126-76-106
Radius: 15m@179
Sizes: to come
Size tested: 179
Construction: All New

"Smooth and eager to please" describes this ski to a T. Getting in and out of turns is quick and energetic. A secure feel underfoot made me want to go faster and faster on the groomed and off. Whatever I threw at this ski was devoured with ease and comfort. One of the surprises of the testing season for me.
  • Who is it for? People looking for a more on-piste-oriented ski who like to dip their toes off piste as well.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers unwilling to try an “off brand.”
  • Insider tip: You’ll be hearing more about Liberty in the future.

Liberty VMT V82
Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 16.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 186
Construction: All New

From tip to tail, this ski is a winner. This ski is smooth and easy just like its skinnier little brother. Multiple turn shapes are simple and secure. High-speed cruising is a delight, and the silky feel makes you want to extend your day.
  • Who is it for? Want to fill the midsection of your quiver? Here you go.
  • Who is it not for? People scared of change. Liberty is upping its game.
  • Insider tip: Check out the base structure on these babies.

Nordica Spitfire Pro

Dimensions: 122-72-102
Radius: 15m@168cm
Sizes: 156, 162, 168, 174, 180
Size tested: 174

A slightly dialed back version of the Spitfire RB, the Pro is more accessible. It is a quick-turning, energetic ski that rewards a capable driver but doesn’t kick you in the junk for a mistake or two. The ski initiates well with a solid feel underfoot and a nice, firm tail. The Pro is a great choice for advancing skiers.
  • Who is it for? Carvers and aspiring carvers. This ski will improve your game.
  • Who is it not for? Skidders and sliders won’t find the fun.
  • Insider tip: Technical skiers will get a hoot from this ride.

Nordica Spitfire RB
Dimensions:122-72-102
Radius: 15m@168cm
Sizes: 156, 162, 168, 174, 180
Size tested: 174

The timid need not apply. I’m certain "RB" doesn’t stand for Rippin’ Bastard, but it should. The RB is a true slalom ski with a super tip that initiates at the thought of a turn. The skis cross quickly, securely, and effortlessly across the fall line and fly into the next turn. The flex is stiff and even, giving the RB great hold and energy to spare. On the “buy now” list.
  • Who is it for? Slalom gurus wanting a ski to test their mettle.
  • Who is it not for? Someone just entering the slalom ski world.
  • Insider tip: These are the real deal: proceed with caution.

Salomon S/Max Blast
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 17m@175cm
Sizes: 160, 165, 170, 175, 180
Size tested: 175

The blunt tip shape on this ski is … interesting. I found that this ski takes way more effort than others in its class to perform. The tip felt vague to me. The Blast is a bit nervous underfoot and doesn't have that silky feel one would expect in a ski like this. Similar experiences at the Copper Mountain and Snowbasin test lead me to believe it isn’t a tune issue.
  • Who is it for? Salomon devotees.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers wanting to park and ride. This ski needs A LOT of effort to get the most out of it.
  • Insider tip: Demo before committing to buy. This ski is polarizing.

Stöckli Scale Gamma
Dimensions: 135-80-107
Radius: 15m@175cm
Sizes: 155, 165, 175, 185
Size tested: 175
Construction: Carryover

When the Stöckli rep suggested I take this 15m-radius ski out and “give it a true test all over,” I was a bit surprised. At 80mm underfoot, the ride is remarkably versatile all over the mountain: it's super stable charging groomers and in the bumps and crud. The Gamma crosses effortlessly under your body whether traveling fast or slow in seemingly any snow condition. The edge grip is tight but releases at will. Well done, Stöckli.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting a narrower one-ski quiver or needing to fill the 75-85 mm niche in their quiver.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and low intermediates. This ski benefits from user input.
  • Insider tip: A special order may be necessary; it is difficult to find on the rack.

Völkl Deacon 74
Dimensions: 125-74-104
Radius: 16m@173cm
Sizes: 163, 168, 173, 178
Size tested: 173

Völkl Deacon 76
Dimensions: 122-76-103
Radius: 18.3m@176cm
Sizes: 171, 176, 181
Size tested: 176

Volkl introduced these new skis with a big online campaign. I was excited to see what the big deal was. Both models have the same damp, quiet ride that is solid yet forgiving of errors. They hold the turn well but offer no real bang for your buck at the end. The Deacons feel noticeably heavier than most other skis in this category.
  • Who are they for? Intermediates and above who want a fast and mellow ride.
  • Who are they not for? Skiers looking for a high-performance feel.
  • Insider tip: The UVO puck on the tip works to quiet the ski.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kevin, thank you! Those of us who don't test lots of skis appreciate input from others. But can I ask for/suggest two things that I think all reviewers should try to include?
1) can you address "feel" more explicitly in your reviews? Some of us are drawn to either heavily damped or light and "poppy" skis. I don't see much reference to that "feel" element in reviews here, but it is probably the single most important element for me when I choose a ski.
2) can you draw out more differences between skis? For instance, the first four skis on your list all seem to be aimed at strong, technical skiers who want to go fast. But I don't really get much sense of the difference between them. Some more contrast/explanation of differences would be very helpful.

Again, thank you for posting; I'm just hoping reviewers could address these two issues when they put out reviews.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Kevin, thank you! Those of us who don't test lots of skis appreciate input from others. But can I ask for/suggest two things that I think all reviewers should try to include?
1) can you address "feel" more explicitly in your reviews? Some of us are drawn to either heavily damped or light and "poppy" skis. I don't see much reference to that "feel" element in reviews here, but it is probably the single most important element for me when I choose a ski.
2) can you draw out more differences between skis? For instance, the first four skis on your list all seem to be aimed at strong, technical skiers who want to go fast. But I don't really get much sense of the difference between them. Some more contrast/explanation of differences would be very helpful.

Again, thank you for posting; I'm just hoping reviewers could address these two issues when they put out reviews.

Definitely good points, which highlight the reasons that interactive reviews are so important.

These particular reviews are intended to be thumbnails, so putting too much information inside them is counterproductive, but this is why you get to ask @Drahtguy Kevin himself what he means by "feel."

As to the second point, yes, please ask the reviewers for more specifics! And don't forget our Cage Match Comparisons, which are intended to highlight the differences between (usually) similar skis.

TS
Drahtguy Kevin

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Good points, @tch. I intentionally don’t talk about feel in the thumbnails because feel is subjective. What I feel likely isn’t what someone lighter/heavier than I feels. Feel also plays into skiing preference — charger, finesse, etc.

Extrapolating on differences would take the reviews out of the “thumbnail” category.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great reviews as always Kevin. I look forward to your reviews as I know from past years that we tend to like the same skis.

I don't understand why Head is not building a Monster 83 in a 183/84 length. Head seems to think that 177 is the longest ski a person might want in a number of their key models. At least with the Monster 83, I suspect that is erroneous. I skied next year's Monster 88 in the longer length and thought is was terrific. I would not consider a shorter length in that model and both skis have a similar radius--not sure about the flex pattern. My son skied the Monster 83 in 177 and raved about it but he is a lot lighter than I am.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews as always Kevin. I look forward to your reviews as I know from past years that we tend to like the same skis.

I don't understand why Head is not building a Monster 83 in a 183/84 length. Head seems to think that 177 is the longest ski a person might want in a number of their key models. At least with the Monster 83, I suspect that is erroneous. I skied next year's Monster 88 in the longer length and thought is was terrific. I would not consider a shorter length in that model and both skis have a similar radius--not sure about the flex pattern. My son skied the Monster 83 in 177 and raved about it but he is a lot lighter than I am.
I usually ski 184 monster 98. I tried the monster 88 in 177 2019 version, and thought it was terrific for all around frontside ski. Maybe you would be surprised by the m83 in a 177.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I usually ski 184 monster 98. I tried the monster 88 in 177 2019 version, and thought it was terrific for all around frontside ski. Maybe you would be surprised by the m83 in a 177.

Thanks. I have no doubt I would like it. I skied the original Monster 78 in 177 for a long time (and still occasionally break it out in the early season) because I was talked out of buying the 183 or 184. Even thought I love that ski, I wish I would have bought the longer length. I think if it is intended as a narrower all mountain ski it ought to be offered in a longer length. I think they ought to offer the iTitan in a longer length as well. They can leave the rest of the Supershapes at a max 177 length.

skiester

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between de Firebird Competition and the Nordica spitfire Pro. Is there much difference between the two? I am looking for an energetic technical ski for hard snow conditions and recreational technical training. Any thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between de Firebird Competition and the Nordica spitfire Pro. Is there much difference between the two? I am looking for an energetic technical ski for hard snow conditions and recreational technical training. Any thoughts?
Both are great, maybe a nuance difference between the two. Do you want black and red or black and orange? They really are that close. I would put more thought into the tune than the skis.

skiester

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks guys. This will be the first time i can decide which ski suits my outfit better ;)

Has the similarity anything to do with the fact that Blizzard and Nordica are basically the same company? I mean on paper there are also only nuance differences. Curious about that...

Sponsor

Staff online