• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dragging the Inside Hand on Steeps

Chriscray

Booting up
Skier
Lots of good stuff in this forum. I wanted to add may take on pole length and steeps.

I'm 5'7. With the skinny skis I used 48" (120cm) poles.

When I started to get to know the newer 'shape' skis I downsized A LOT because of the turn dynamics. I can use the sidecut more easy with a shorter pole. I do still make it a point to 'plant' my poles even when deep carving. I don't care for that super mechanical race carve all the racing kids do. Its technically good form but it just looks BAD!

95% of my skiing is at Deer Valley and Park City. There I use 44" (110cm) poles.

When I ski Snowbird, those 44's kill my triceps. If I bring 46" poles it easier for the steeps. I've contemplated bringing 48's, but I think that be too big of a jump.

Now I have a new pair of adjustable poles (with real baskets!) I scored after season that I'm dying to try out next season.

I complimented a friends poles because they are new Lekis with a big basket. There was a piece missing on the lock. He offered them to me for a six pack of cheap beer (it was a Sunday in Utah, you can only get the 3.2%). I contacted LEKI about the part and now I have a pair of LEKI Bluebirds!

I want to try the Trigger S system. All my friends who tried it love it.