• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Probably the worst reason for holding back on comments. If people are going to skew their comments to keep sponsors happy or worse if the forum were to adopt a moderation policy in this regard ( not saying it would) then Pugski becomes immensely less valuable.

I've got no problem with the kickstarter route - I think it's a valid marketing channel. I do have a bit of a problem with some of the claims if they aren't backed up with proper testing under an accepted scientific methodology.

I get what you are saying, but some of the comments were bordering on being mean-spirited and uncalled for. I think we should acknowledge that DPS is doing something that they believe has a noble purpose in addition to possibly changing a very accepted practice in the industry.

So forgive me if I want to cut them a break as they enter into this venture. And, yes, the fact that they are Pugski sponsors only makes me want to cut them even more slack.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Soooooooo if you are addicted to that fresh waxed glide, but like the durability of Phantom, could you use it as a "permanent" prep-wax job and lay the wax of the day over it? Knowing that when that wears off you still have pretty good glide? An interesting experiment to run. Oops, starting to talk like a chemist again...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also factor in the University of Utah Professor(s) that are involved. Most colleges are not going to let their name get associated with some shady deal. It isn't a guarantee, but I have confidence that some real science was involved here.

I had the same thought. Scientists and engineers, especially those in academia that primarily get their funding from the government and industrial companies based on their reputation and publications, are going to be careful about their associations with actual commercial products in the manner seen here. That's not to say they are perfect (I'm an industrial research chemist, so don't have to hustle for funds), but we have folks like this for consultants and can see their behavior up close. I hope my previous comments didn't suggest that I don't think there is some science behind this, but what it is ain't published yet!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I get what you are saying, but some of the comments were bordering on being mean-spirited and uncalled for. I think we should acknowledge that DPS is doing something that they believe has a noble purpose in addition to possibly changing a very accepted practice in the industry.

So forgive me if I want to cut them a break as they enter into this venture. And, yes, the fact that they are Pugski sponsors only makes me want to cut them even more slack.

That's fair enough and I have no quarrel with you or DPS if everything they say turns out to be true.

What limited amount I understand about base chemistry at present means I'm on the sceptical side of the lasts a lifetime claim. & it takes a lot of people running skis at 200days + (and fullish days at that) to even get near a conclusion there). I guess really what I'm hoping is that this doesn't turn out to be snake oil.

I have a pair of Juice'd skis applied at new (in the demo fleet they belonged to) - guess what I have to wax them like anything else

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So here’s the thing.

Most people ski one (set of) ski(s) on everything.

Most people don’t wax and maybe once a season let a machine do it.

Most people don’t base grind, know a damn thing about structure, or do much of anything except repair major damage, the latter probably by getting another pair of skis.

All of which is to say, most people neglect their skis and day to day don’t really notice any major difference. I’ll exclude east coast people since they ski on concrete or whatever and apparently have to care about things for basic purposes of survival.

So a reasonable life of the ski product friction modifier should be the design goal of every single ski manufacturer.

I can keep my edges detuned properly with a limited set of edge stones. Why on earth do I want to have to keep treating my bases? I don’t anyway. $100 is nothing. Most people spend half that on gas every single trip. How many people have a bacon Bloody Mary monthly budget of $100?

You know all of those car stickers that say stuff like 26.2 and 13.1 and all that running people do that apparently comes with buying AWD cars? You know what’s better than running? Not running. You know what’s better than maintenance? Not maintenance.

My sticker is going to say 0.0. Most people are 0.0. There’s a reason. Bring it. Perfect it.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has everyone read the Ski magazine article on this stuff that I posted a URL for? The guys at Ski Mag. skied three pairs of DPS skis, one waxed, one "nude", and one with Phantom. They gave their detailed impressions of each ski's performance. The Phantom wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close to the waxed ski. This wasn't an in depth scientific test, but it proves its not snake oil. (If you can believe what you read in Ski Mag)

I also factor in the University of Utah Professor(s) that are involved. Most colleges are not going to let their name get associated with some shady deal. It isn't a guarantee, but I have confidence that some real science was involved here.

In my opinion, this stuff has promise and one way to find out what it can really do is for people to use it. DPS compares it to an all temp wax. I use Dominator Zoom all temp wax and it has limitations. In really cold and really warm the stuff doesn't glide. It looks like the Phantom works in the warm, because it is very hydrophobic. I am curious if it will work in really cold temp's (<15F). They don't have any specific info on this that I can find. I will probably email them to see what they say.

A few points, if I may.....

1) One article in Ski Mag won't sell me or a lot of old schoolers for that matter. Blister's editor in chief has a hard time accepting it as well. It's going to take some time for this to be either proven or disproved and if if proven it will take some time to get good traction.
2) There's been millions of pages of junk science that have been promulgated by universities since time immemorial.
3) And you nailed this.....lack of specific data, controlled testing, double blind, etc. That info is needed and needed from multiple sources for comparison.
4) To simply say this will change skiing forever, never wax again, lasts forever, etc., without A LOT of information to back it up is a weak presentation and will be subject to ridicule. I estimate, plan, and execute multi million dollar projects for a living. I've been doing it for decades and I can guarantee that if I ever went to my customers with claims of this nature and didn't have some serious data to back it up I would be torn to pieces.
5) All the fanfare that is hitting the net over this product, all the interviews, podcasts, articles, etc. all have one thing in common......lack of specific data. They say it's backed by a bunch of data but make no effort to provide that data. They say it's better for the environment but offer nothing to back it up other than calling wax a bad guy.
6) You mention the one way to find out what it can really do is to use it. That requires me spending $90 and risking a pair of skis. I've seen no warranty or guarantee. They're not even offering a money back if not satisfied on just the product. No, you gamble. You gamble with not only the cost of the purchase but potentially the replacement cost of your equipment if not satisfied.
6) My ultimate fear is how this could potentially and negatively effect my skis. That's really my only concern. I honestly don't care how they fund or it why. It seemed odd to me is all. I get the marketing angle achieved through a kickstarter campaign and accept that as their reason easily.

So my skepticism is based on all the aforementioned points. The product "sounds" remarkable. If true I'd consider it on daily drivers. I'd definitely use it on some of my skis. The race skis will always be waxed. The biggest problem with the whole Phantom thing isn't necessarily the product, but rather how it's been rolled out. Criticism, ridicule, and disbelief will continue until enough information is presented or enough time goes by to assuage such things.

I want to believe, but I'm from Missouri..........(not really, you get the point......)

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Yea, as said above the average recreational skier knows little about proper base preparation with wax. Most don't know how to perform a proper waxing.
They take skis to a shop that can only spend a few minutes to wax a pair of skis. The wax jobs don't last.
Many DIY folks don't even scrape or brush their wax job, so again a total strike out. Then their waxing and wax choice may be very questionable too.
So for all those folks that make up a pretty big amount of "skiers" something like this may be great as they have no reference as to what great really is.
I am way into waxing and tuning. I know the difference that proper base preparation, regular waxing, proper scraping and brushing make.
So if your like me, the stuff is not going to be for you. That's my prediction.
If you are a casual vacation skier that has never skied fast skis, then this product may be just the thing for you. It will get you by and you will be fine. One the other hand you might also do fine with zero waxing. Yes, I said zero waxing. An un-waxed carbon graphite base works well on super cold snow. Will the base last as long without wax. No, it will not, but when you can buy a new pair every few years, who cares!

Bla bla bla.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, I’ll chime in...

We are gonna ski maybe 20 days a year as long as we live in Florida, LOTS more when we move to Utah.

We are going to be on a 12 days on skis trip in December, 37 days from now but who is counting :yahoo:

So, on a 12 day on the snow trip I would need to wax for sure. I don’t know doodie (notice I did not say sh!t) about waxing skis, much less taking the stuff with me. I like to travel light, as in VERY light. So a lifetime wax seems like a good deal. I did the Kickstarter 2 Pack, so I got two packs for $160, $80 per pair. I doubt it will arrive before we leave, but if it does, I will apply it to both pair of skis.

In the big scheme of things, it amazes me at the things people will put up a fuss about, and then waste money on other stuff. Personally I squeeze the last oz. of toothpaste out of the tube, but I look at the cost benefit of every purchase I make no matter how large or small. I am really into preventative maintenance and I am not skerd of buying once and crying once. I likely would have to pay to have two pair of skis waxed.... Over the course of those skis, the $160 is a freaking bargain.

Let’s see, $160.... $25 more than a 1 day lift ticket at Deer Valley.... 4 bottles of wine.... 3 tanks of gas.... 1/3 of a night for a ski in/ski out lodging

I potentially could be saving money
I potentially could have wasted money
I won’t know the freaking difference anyway this year :philgoat:
Mrs. 53 will be able to tell the difference by day 2 :Teleb:

Time will tell.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So for all those folks that make up a pretty big amount of "skiers" something like this may be great as they have no reference as to what great really is.
I am way into waxing and tuning. I know the difference that proper base preparation, regular waxing, proper scraping and brushing make.
So if your like me, the stuff is not going to be for you. That's my prediction.

I agree with your first point about the general skiing public. I am a race coach and over the last 5 years or so I got a pretty good education on ski tuning and waxing. I am super interested in this stuff for recreational use, not as a replacement for race waxing. I will approach it cautiously and try it on an old pair of skis that I won't mind replacing if it bombs. Racers and people who involve their ego's in how fast a skis glides will still use wax, and DPS has said they should and that you can still wax over this stuff with probably better results, meaning after you quickly wear off your super duper flouro carbon tehtrahydrate poly brown streak wax, (or Dominator Butter for short) you will still have very good glide from their stuff.

I agree some people in the media are overhyping this stuff (gee maybe Trump is right about the media :yahoo:) and DPS could be a bit more sciencetific about this stuff. Why wouldn't you want to use this stuff if it works? Come on about the price, $100 or less on discount is pretty reasonable for a ski lifetime application. I am sure it is not snake oil, and just as sure it won't meet all the hype either, but it sounds like a good step in the right direction.

Here is a statement I found on the Kickstart site about the temperature range of this stuff (the workable temp range is a big deal to me, as I am most interested in when I will need to add wax on top of this stuff)

"Phantom is noticeably faster than all-temperature wax in warm snow temperatures, and provides similar levels of glide in colder snow temperature ranges. The remaining risk is validating performance in extreme cold weather scenarios, which we hope to finish by late November 2017—prior to production."

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a wax skeptic. So obviously I will be skeptical about this.

I've skied old wooden skis. The bases on modern skis are so much lower drag that any wax related drag reduction on a modern ski will be minimal. The drag reduction has already been done in the base material choice.

Hydroflouric acid is stored in polyethylene containers because the polyethylene doesn't react with the strongest chemical you can find. Ski bases are polyethylene. Not much is going to stick for long to the bases.

Wax matters in a race. Might make a .10 second difference over a 2 minute run. A real difference but probably not something that can be felt without being timed. And that wax won't work on a second run.

I volunteer to treat one ski and not the other to test it.

If I get my skis treated, I hope that the clister I apply to slow down in the bumps still sticks.

Eric

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another quote from DPS (Marker this ones for you, I am thinking the same thing)

"Can a base still be waxed after application?
Yes. If you are racing competitively, you can still apply special temperature specific waxes over Phantom. For racers, when your temperature specific-wax wears off, you are still riding on a Phantom coated base, which is superior to the performance of an unwaxed base. The bottom line: 99 percent of skiers or snowboarders will be perfectly happy with using only a one-time Phantom application on their boards for as long as they own them without ever having to apply wax."

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Somebody over on NSers found this patent that appears to be related to Phantom: http://google.com/patents/WO2016042323A1?cl=en

According to the patent abstract (thanks for posting it), base grinding can take place after this stuff is applied, with it purportedly permeating the entire base area in 36 hours. Permeate? I didn't think a base was that porous, but the abstract does discuss how it will add a little weight to the ski so I guess it really gets in there. But doesn't the base have to be somewhat porous if a wax can hold over it?

I have some old skis and will be glad to try it out (one ski with Phantom and the other with wax).

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
Anyone that talks about "ripping wax" off a ski..........do they even know what scrapers and brushes are for. There should be no wax left on the surface of the ski when the "wax job" is finished. Sure there is a micro-layer on the base, but it's the wax in the base that bleeds as one skis that maintains that micro film of wax.

So who knows what they are testing against. Could be badly waxed skis that are then not scraped and or brushed well at all. All temp. wax, universal wax. What waxes were actually tested against? And again Hydrocarbon waxes are not "bad" for the environment anyway.

The podcast is kinda' twerking me now.

Like I said above. Maybe good for vacation skiers and folks that just want to get down the hill and don't care about glide speed. That's why they have poles.

On one hand they say wax can't penetrate a base. (Hmmm, where have I heard that BS before?) But for some magic reason the molecules of there stuff must be way smaller, because their stuff goes all the way through the base!

Jacques

Skier
Another quote from DPS (Marker this ones for you, I am thinking the same thing)

"Can a base still be waxed after application?
Yes. If you are racing competitively, you can still apply special temperature specific waxes over Phantom. For racers, when your temperature specific-wax wears off, you are still riding on a Phantom coated base, which is superior to the performance of an unwaxed base. The bottom line: 99 percent of skiers or snowboarders will be perfectly happy with using only a one-time Phantom application on their boards for as long as they own them without ever having to apply wax."

Once the base is sealed with that stuff, how is wax going to absorb into the sinter? Seems to me it would be worse than an extruded base after the treatment as far as wax absorption goes.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Anyone that talks about "ripping wax" off a ski..........do they even know what scrapers and brushes are for. There should be no wax left on the surface of the ski when the "wax job" is finished. Sure there is a micro-layer on the base, but it's the wax in the base that bleeds as one skis that maintains that micro film of wax.

So who knows what they are testing against. Could be badly waxed skis that are then not scraped and or brushed well at all. All temp. wax, universal wax. What waxes were actually tested against? And again Hydrocarbon waxes are not "bad" for the environment anyway.

The podcast is kinda' twerking me now.

Like I said above. Maybe good for vacation skiers and folks that just want to get down the hill and don't care about glide speed. That's why they have poles.

On one hand they say wax can't penetrate a base. (Hmmm, where have I heard that BS before?) But for some magic reason the molecules of there stuff must be way smaller, because their stuff goes all the way through the base!
Yes, we have heard it all before, but sometimes it really is different (and I am not suggesting it is). This is from the abstract:

"The chemicals react together as the solvent evaporates, on application of the composition to a ski base. Each hydroxyl group on a molecule of compound (I) can substitute with the chlorine atom on a molecule of compound (II), or cause ring-opening of the epoxide in a molecule of compound (II). When compound (III) is present, the amine group can instead cause epoxide ring-opening in compound (II) at the terminal end of the polymer chain. The amine group can perform additional ring-openings with additional epoxides, subject to steric considerations, allowing the relatively short individual chains to form a three-dimensional network through the permeated material of the ski. These steps are commonly known as 'curing' . Furthermore, in the presence of compound (IV), the silicate groups of compound (III) can be cross-linked by condensation of ethanol from compound (IV) and the alcohol groups generated from epoxide ring-opening, forming a three-dimensional silicate network through the material of the ski it has permeated. This silicate network in particular confers hydrophobicity to the material, with cross-linking also occurring as the solvent evaporates. When applied to a ski, the above composition confers hydrophobicity to the exposed surfaces as well as the bulk material, such that exposing a new surface of the treated portion of the ski, for example, through accidental damage such as a scratch, merely affects the physical shape of the ski, and not its hydrophobic properties. This is possible because the composition permeates the ski and bonds to the surfaces of individual grains within the base layer, coating the outer surface of each grain (even where the grain is located away from the external ski surface). This results in each coated grain having a predominantly silicate surface, conferring hydrophobicity. As such, any grains which are lost from the ski base due to damage or wear simply expose further grains with the same hydrophobic properties, allowing the ski to retain its hydrophobic properties. The composition can be said to become part of the material microstructure."

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Somebody over on NSers found this patent that appears to be related to Phantom: http://google.com/patents/WO2016042323A1?cl=en
I'm pretty sure this patent is for Juice Permanent and Pocket Juice. It references permanent application and temporary application and the inventor is listed as Derek Prince. The Juice/Pocket Juice website lists JD Prince as the co-owner/co-founder.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Once the base is sealed with that stuff, how is wax going to absorb into the sinter? Seems to me it would be worse than an extruded base after the treatment as far as wax absorption goes.

As is usually the case, things are a bit more complicated than this. Different materials behave differently, and while regular wax obviously isn't repelled by the material ski bases are made out of (polyethylene?), it's entirely possible that this product can be absorbed into a base far more readily, due to the way it interacts with the base on a molecular level (think hydrophobic vs. hydrophilic materials), viscosity, or other factors. Short of a hot box, I wouldn't expect wax to penetrate a base especially deeply, and as it doesn't actually bond with the base material, it will always wear off eventually.

Similarly, I don't think DPS ever claimed this "seals" the base. It bonds with the base, yes, and apparently strengthens it, but this doesn't mean the base is no longer porous or can't absorb wax. I'm just going off of DPS's claims here, but none of them seem obviously impossible or contradictory off the bat.

I'm not a chemist or material scientist, so please forgive any vagueness or lack of proper technical terminology. And I'm certainly not making any claims as to the effectiveness of this product, though I'm interested enough to try it out on a pair of skis. (I have plenty…)

Sponsor