• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DPS Phantom initial stickiness and snow buildup issue

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The “bad product” was not gray market, it was caused by poor packaging from a vendor that DPS used. DPS became aware of the problem of some of the early packaging problems before I called them due to my VERY sticky to the touch bases.

You are the 2nd or 3rd owner from the sounds of it, but who knows
Bad product can fall through the cracks of the recall process and be resold by unauthorized dealers AKA gray market instead of being properly returned to the manufacturer. We don't know where the first owner of the skis obtained the "bad product" do we?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Even though you are not the original owner and didn't apply the Phantom yourself, I'd still contact DPS and let them know of your experience. They may have an idea of what transpired to cause the problem. At least then you'd know what was going on.

TS
E

erjp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It might not be the Phantom. Did you take the skis from a warm, moist environment right to the snow?

Your experience sounds like fresh, dry snow freezing onto the bases. I've had this happen when pulling skis from inside a warm snow-cat. It feels like they are stuck in concrete. Scrape the ice and snow off and they are fine. The cleaning on the hill trip might have warmed the skis again.

Interesting! I didn't think about this, but it makes sense. Similar to licking the metal of the chair lift :)

However, my case was different. Before I put them on the snow, they were out in the (very) cold air for 5 mins until I bought the ski ticket. So they weren't warm.
Also, I tried cleaning the snow/ice several times, but it always started accumulating again.

Even though you are not the original owner and didn't apply the Phantom yourself, I'd still contact DPS and let them know of your experience. They may have an idea of what transpired to cause the problem. At least then you'd know what was going on.

Yes, others in this thread have also recommended this, and I did contact DPS last weekend.
However, no response yet. I'm still hoping they'll get back to me with some information, what they think the problem could have been.

As I mentioned, I had taken my piste skis for Phantom waxing to a professional shop and I just got them back today.
As @Unpiste wrote, there's absolutely no white residue on the bases. There's some white stuff (a bit like paint) on the sides, but it doesn't resemble the white residue that was on the base of the DPS skis.

Sponsor