• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

clickflashwhirp

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Inactive
Apologies if it's been covered but the threads regarding DP are rather large. Says on the DPS site that a stone grind is preferable before application. Problem is that I Telemark and no tech's grinders fit those bindings. So the only option is to get a belt grind. Question: does it have to be a stone grind to add structure, if so would a belt grind and some aggressive stiff brushing surfice?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do you put structure on your bases now? A riller bar should do the trick by hand without the belt grind.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where I get my skis stone ground, the shop takes off the bindings on all skis. You don't have to do any grinding on the ski. You should clean the wax out of the ski, that is really the purpose of the stone grind, among other benefits. I have done 4 skis with just wax cleaning and all came out great. I did allow a full day of UV cure for each part (2 parts total). Not getting enough cure from UV seems to have been a problem for some posters. Cloudy days, too short a time, I am not sure why. Also, brush the sh*t out them to get all the residue off. That helps on the first day to avoid stickyness.

TS
C

clickflashwhirp

Inactive
Where I get my skis stone ground, the shop takes off the bindings on all skis. You don't have to do any grinding on the ski. You should clean the wax out of the ski, that is really the purpose of the stone grind, among other benefits. I have done 4 skis with just wax cleaning and all came out great. I did allow a full day of UV cure for each part (2 parts total). Not getting enough cure from UV seems to have been a problem for some posters. Cloudy days, too short a time, I am not sure why. Also, brush the sh*t out them to get all the residue off. That helps on the first day to avoid stickyness.

Many thanks.

TS
C

clickflashwhirp

Inactive

Many thanks.
How do you put structure on your bases now? A riller bar should do the trick by hand without the belt grind.
Ended up just giving it a stiff brush afterward. Work with what I've got. Cheers.

TS
C

clickflashwhirp

Inactive
I had a blue bird day and stuck each part out for 3.5hrs. Hope that was enough. Seems to be getting faster.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They say 3 hrs per part A and 3 hrs per part B. Assuming you sun has the same UV strength as their sun (Salt Lake City, UT) then you should be good to go.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto. Just make sure your bases are really clean. And do stick to the 3 hour bit. More may be better. I did my wife's and didn't have any of the issues with gummy or sticky bases.

Sponsor

Staff online