• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Doug's 2020 SIA Reviews

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The conditions at this year’s SIA were a few inches of fresh snow on top of a firm base. Not ice, but snow that had probably been warm for a bit then set up. Edgeable yet slick if you weren’t paying attention. I like to ski hard and fast on piste. Most off-piste snow was just plain nasty frozen mank, so we skied the piste most of the time. My background is racing as a youth in the early '70s and a return to racing in 2002 that continues today. So when I’m on piste, I’m usually making carved turns with brushed turns for variety and speed control.

Atomic Backland 107
Dimensions: 137-107-124
Radius: 18.5m@182cm
Sizes: 175, 182, 189
Size tested: 182
Design: NGT

I have some older Bent Chetlers (125mm) so wanted to see what the Backland was like. It is an easygoing ski for three-dimensional snow. It provides more performance than the Bent but is not as playful and loose.
  • Who is it for? Backcountry skier who wants a more traditional ski than a Bent.
  • Who is it not for? Carving junkies.

Atomic Savor 5
Dimensions: 104.5-72-94
Radius: 20m@167cm
Sizes: 140,149, 158, 167, 176
Size tested: 167
Design: All New

This ski was designed for the beginning skier. It is mild-mannered and boasts a sweet spot from tip to tail.
  • Who is it for? Never evers.
  • Who is it not for? Everyone else.
  • Insider tip: Not for insiders!

Augment All Mountain 77 Ti-Carbon
Dimensions: 121.5-77-107.5
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Sizes: 167, 175, 183
Size tested: 175
Design: NGT

I didn’t note my specific feelings about this ski, but I did enjoy it. It is hard not to like a 16.5m ski that is fat enough to deal with 3D snow.
  • Who is it for? Piste-oriented skier who likes to play in the snow on occasion.
  • Who is it not for? Race-inspired skiers.

Augment Sport Carving

Dimensions: Unpublished
Radius: 19m@176cm
Sizes: 162, 170, 176, 181
Size tested: 176

I didn’t note my specific feelings about this ski, but enjoyed it very much. It was near the end of testing so I was tired and ready to go, but the SC kept my attention with smooth, high-end performance.
  • Who is it for? People who prefer on piste to off piste.
  • Who is it not for? Powerhounds.
  • Insider tip: Augment skis are strong, well-built skis for serious skiers.

Fischer RC One GT 86

Dimensions: 130-86-116
Radius: 17m@175cm
Sizes: 161, 168, 175, 182
Size tested: 182

I’m a sucker for a ski built like a race ski with an 18m radius. You can really rip on this one with stability at speed and grip to spare. It took to the piste with aplomb and laid down some really nice turns. Get it on edge and bend it, and it hooks right up.
  • Who is it for? The race-inspired skier who also gets out on softer piste on a regular basis.
  • Who is it not for? The powderhound or timid skier.
  • Insider tip: Be careful: you’ll break the speed limit on these.

Fisher Ranger 94 FR
Dimensions: 126-92-117
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 161, 169, 177, 185
Size tested: 177

These skis are similar to my Ranger 88TI, which I like a lot. They are light and versatile, snappy and pleasant; they have a very nice shape for both groomer zooming and getting off piste in 3D snow.
  • Who is it for? People who like a lively ski that can be used all day, every day.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who want to tip it and forget it.
  • Insider tip: This ski with a Shift or Kingpin would make a great cross ski for resort and touring.

Head Kore 93
Dimensions: 133-93-115
Radius: 16.4m@180cm
Sizes: 153, 162, 171, 180, 189
Size tested: 180
Design: Carryover/NGT

This ski is awesome, near the top of my list along with the Ranger FR for an all-mountain ski. It does everything well: carved turns, brushed turns, and anything in between. It is stable and exciting at the same time.
  • Who is it for? The race-inspired skier who also gets out on softer piste on a regular basis.
  • Who is it not for? It is hard to think of anyone who wouldn’t like this ski.
  • Insider tip: Once you try one, you won’t want to give it back.

K2 Mindbender 90Ti
Dimensions: 127-90-114
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 163, 170, 177, 184

The Mindbender 90Ti is a shoo-in replacement for the Pinnacle with its cut and early rise, but it's different enough to not be identical. I have Pinnacle 88s and love them, but these lacked a je ne sais quoi.
  • Who is it for? The skier who is all over the mountain, on and off piste.
  • Who is it not for? The hard-carving piste slayer.

Kästle PX71

Dimensions: 123-71-100
Radius: 14.2m@169cm
Sizes: 148, 155, 162, 176
Size tested: 176

As the radius would suggest, this is a ski that likes to turn. The PX71 is very aggressive in the turn, and its race-like construction gives it lots of power and grip -- maybe a little too much, as it needed you to actively finish the turn. That tendency could be attributable to the tune, which seemed really sharp.
  • Who is it for? Aggressive (and not-so-aggressive) carving junkies.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who just want to cruise in a laid-back fashion.
  • Insider tip: This is a performance carver, not a Sunday driver.

Liberty Evolv 90

Dimensions: 132-90-114
Radius: 18.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179

This ski fills a gap between full-on freeride and carving-oriented skis in Liberty’s lineup. It is stable and a bit directional (meaning it wants to finish a turn rather than hold onto it). You want to keep the tips pressured to keep the ski turning. It was fun and would have been really nice on some softer snow than what we had.
  • Who is it for? A hard-charging 3D snow skier with a hankering for some carving when going from Point A to Point B.
  • Who is it not for? Folks who want to arc up a storm.
  • Insider tip: Backseat skiers need not apply.

Liberty V82
Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 16.5m@179cm
Design: New Construction

I enjoyed this ski last year, and this year’s model did not disappoint. It is very lively and exciting to ski on, quick and nimble with great grip. It easily makes variety of turn shapes, including little, quick turns, and returns a lot of energy at the end of a turn.
  • Who is it for? Aggressive piste-oriented skiers who want to be able to venture into 3D snow on occasion.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for an easy ride that doesn’t require attention to the moment.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let the brand name fool you. This is a serious frontside ski.

Liberty V92
Dimensions: 133-92-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm

Like the V82, I really like this ski. It would be more at home in my quiver than the 82 due to its width and the amount of soft snow I like to ski. What it gives away in quick edge changes over the 82, it makes up for with forgiveness. It's just more funnerer than most skis.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a responsive frontside groomer ski that has chops in crud and 3D snow.
  • Insider tip: This ski would make a great one-ski quiver for anyone east of the Mississippi.

Nordica Enforcer 93

Dimensions: 126-93-114
Radius: 16.5m@177cm
Sizes: 169, 177, 185, 191
Size tested: 185
Design: Carryover/NGT

The Enforcer 93 is a really nice performer. If you want quick, it is quick. If you want easy, it is easy. My pair may have been a tad sharp, but in the final analysis, the skis handle anything with aplomb.
  • Who is it for? Anyone looking for that do-it-all ski.
  • Who is it not for? I really couldn’t say!
  • Insider tip: This ski has been popular for a while for good reason: it performs well in most conditions.

Rossignol Black Ops 98
Dimensions: Unpublished
Radius: Unpublished
Sizes: 162, 172, 182, 192
Size tested: 192

This ski was fun to ride but uninspiring. It did a lot of good things, but turning me on wasn’t one of them. It had decent grip and could brush a turn with the best of them, but it was damp and unexciting. Word on the street is that the 192 has a different construction than the 182.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a ski that they don’t have to work to enjoy.
  • Who is it not for? Me and anyone that likes to charge hard and get feedback from their skis.
  • Insider tip: This ski will get the job done, like an old Beetle, not like Porsche.

Rossi React 8 HP

Dimensions: 127-73-111
Radius: 14m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170

I wasn’t enamored of this ski. For my skiing style, it was disappointing. You have to actively get the ski to turn, and it is damp and doesn't have a lot of energy.
  • Who is it for? I’m not really sure.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers looking for a lot of energy and excitement in their skis.

Salomon QST 92
Dimensions: 128-92-111
Radius: 18m@177cm
Sizes: 153, 161, 169, 177, 185

The QST 92 has all the makings of a one-ski quiver. I really enjoyed its grip as well as its easygoing attitude. You can relax on this ski and it will give you plenty of latitude to just cruise along in control. Tell it to turn, and Boom! Turns happen.
  • Who is it for? The one-ski powderhound who likes to turn on piste.
  • Who is it not for? Hard carvers.
  • Insider tip: Well worth considering for a OSQ.

Salomon S/Force Bold X12 LT
Dimensions: 132-84-116
Radius: 16m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184

A good all-around ski, the S/Force Bold responds well to input with nice turns. Finishing your turns on your own initiative necessitated working the end of the turn; it tended to want to straighten out. I enjoyed the ski but it didn’t set off any fireworks for me.
  • Who is it for? Easygoing skiers who ski a blend of on piste and 3D off piste.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump for buying season

Sponsor

Staff online