• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doug Pierini has a long resume of accomplishments in the ski industry, including a recent stint as vice president of skier services at Breckenridge, which has brought him to the place where he is currently taking a lead roll at Kirkwood.

Pierini's accomplishments include PSIA National Team, Jackson Hole Ski School, Ski School at Ski Portillo, MT Bueller, Australia, as well as holding ski resort positions in Steamboat, Plattekill, NY, Sierra at Tahoe, and Alpine Meadows.
Doug says that it was his time at Breckenridge where he thrived and shined a light on his skill set, as VP of skier services.

He is familiar with the unique character of Kirkwood and hopes to maintain that while they make needed improvements. He and his wife are excited to bring their family to Tahoe to become a part of the community, enjoy what this area has to offer.

pierini.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So speculation as to what it means to K'weed?

Try to increase appeal to spread the South Shore crowds a bit more?
Pay parking? ;)
Keeping backside open more days for longer?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just read about this. Not sure what its gonna bring.

I will say casey was a great old school gm. Very grass roots. Best snow shoveler ever!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just read about this. Not sure what its gonna bring.

I will say casey was a great old school gm. Very grass roots. Best snow shoveler ever!
I didn't hear why Casey left. Do you have some insight?

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not really sure...maybe he retired? I think he wad pre vail so theres that.

Im as curious as you but im a long ways from there right now physically and mentally.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
He is familiar with the unique character of Kirkwood and hopes to maintain that while they make needed improvements.
Speaking of unique, I thought Coop moved on. I have wonder how many days lifetime Pierini has at Kirkwood which is the place I've skied the most the last five years. I was in the area at Lake Kirkwood yesterday on my way home from Tahoe.

When are they going to start these improvements? Vail has owned Kirkwood since February 2012. Besides getting connected to outside power, have there been any improvements? There is still a plastic structure at Timber Creek base and there can be long lines to buy tickets if you are not direct to lift (and can figure out where to buy them). I don't think I saw Bubb's Pub or the drag lifts on Covered Wagon open this year and I think the upper one is not longer operable.

Try to increase appeal to spread the South Shore crowds a bit more?
Pay parking? ;)
Keeping backside open more days for longer?
They already have pay parking below chairs 10 and 11, but I parked there free most of my days as I avoided Saturdays when they collect. I hope they can keep enough employees and run the ski area later in the season when snow permits and figure out and train staff how to get people into lots quicker to avoid the hour long AM backups coming from Tahoe. This year they drove away customers by continuing to charge full price until their closing day, even though they cut way back on lifts. How embarrassing to close before Sierra and a week before Heavenly and a month and a half before Squaw this year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of unique, I thought Coop moved on. I have wonder how many days lifetime Pierini has at Kirkwood which is the place I've skied the most the last five years. I was in the area at Lake Kirkwood yesterday on my way home from Tahoe.

When are they going to start these improvements? Vail has owned Kirkwood since February 2012. Besides getting connected to outside power, have there been any improvements? There is still a plastic structure at Timber Creek base and there can be long lines to buy tickets if you are not direct to lift (and can figure out where to buy them). I don't think I saw Bubb's Pub or the drag lifts on Covered Wagon open this year and I think the upper one is not longer operable.

They already have pay parking below chairs 10 and 11, but I parked there free most of my days as I avoided Saturdays when they collect. I hope they can keep enough employees and run the ski area later in the season when snow permits and figure out and train staff how to get people into lots quicker to avoid the hour long AM backups coming from Tahoe. This year they drove away customers by continuing to charge full price until their closing day, even though they cut way back on lifts. How embarrassing to close before Sierra and a week before Heavenly and a month and a half before Squaw this year.
From what we hear, Northstar and Kirkwood are not going to see much in improvements now that Park City is Vail. PC is quickly becoming the golden child of Vail simply from a marketing standpoint and I believe it will be getting the lions share of $$ invested...it needs it, PC as a resort does feel tired and dated.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can tell you firsthand vail desperately needs to step up and spend some money.

Cornice....bubs formerly only opened during a select few peak days and it really was casual type food to alleviate montes. I would lease the hell out of that place, return it to its former self only better and hustle some serious dough.

Theres plenty of employees that would have worked to keep things going to a later date. It just hurt inside to see the mtn close when it did.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think the point is Kirkwood doesn't need glossy Vail style investment - it just need enough to keep the lifts open & a dining experience for the guests which isn't them all cramming into Montes or waiting on a table in the Wall.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Can't edt to add to above

après at Kirkwood feels good when there is music and a beer stall on the patio but non existent when there isn't, and even then people aren't in the habit of hanging around - can't help but agree that making a feature of Bub's might reverse that a bit. I know the drive is long and therefore people are never going to want to hang around all night - but a lack of atmosphere doesn't exactly build recommendations among the tourist set.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
It would also be nice to have somewhere to get a pizza. Theres plenty of rooms and homes in that little valley along with hungry skiers. Theres not one place after 3 to actually be able to get a pizza. That completely blows my mind. Vail doesnt want a family of four to get away that cheap, 7800 isnt equipped for whatever reason. Pints under 9 dollars and pizza conveniently located near parking would own that village imo

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Love Kirkwood. Best wishes to new GM.

A little off topic:), but I'm wearing a Kirkwood Inn and Saloon shirt to today's Washington Nationals baseball game because it's the same bright red as our team colors.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It would also be nice to have somewhere to get a pizza...
In Feb 2014, after Kirkwood had been owned by Vail for two years, Bubb's still had a personal pizza and a pint special available after 3 pm that I enjoyed more than once that season. It was $7.50 for a generic beer and $8.50 for a craft beer. It was usually busy après, but somebody must have realized that they were essentially giving away the pizza. Since then, if I want to stop for a beer, I go to 7800 during the day, or Kirkwood Inn on my way out, where as far as I know, they still have very good chicken or fish tacos on special during Happy Hour.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
/\ Sounds like vailenomics - rather than have lots of people spend a modest sum in their establishment it's pony up for the Wall Bar or piss off.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Doug's replacement at Breck will be Jeff Lifgren, who most recently was in the same position at Keystone. He had been adult ski school manager at Breck until 2013, when he moved to Utah to run the ski school at Canyons.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A year later. Any insight on how his first year went?

Tony

tseeb
Skier
A year later. Any insight on how his first year went?

Are you sure you and they want to hear? You are giving me another chance to say Vail should be embarrassed for closing Kirkwood the same day that Homewood and Tahoe Donner closed - April 16. Is that who they want to be compared to? This was during a year that Kirkwood received over 700" of snow, enough to be in top 10 for snowfall in North America and could have been open through Memorial Day without much effort. Also note that Diamond Peak, Donner Ski Ranch, Granlibakken (300 vertical foot area near Tahoe City) and many others ran lifts later than Kirkwood this year. It would be one thing if they closed on date scheduled because they were doing lift improvements like Alta, but AFAIK that is not the reason.

They also did not open the Kirkwood Inn, then cIaimed it was closed because it was damaged in the winter and is undergoing renovations. I have to wonder if it was damaged because it was closed during a winter when 700" of snow fell. My notes from one day at Monte Wolfe's, the small cafeteria/bar closest to chairs 10 and 11 for a day in March are: "we found a place to sit, but line to get into cafeteria was out past the cash registers. It finally went down enough for at_nyc to get a soup, but then they closed a cash register so there was a long wait to pay."

To be fair, Kirkwood did a great job opening and running lifts during and after storms and lift operators and ticket checkers were friendly and usually efficient.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Kirkwood inn did indeed receive a whole lot of damage and the rebuild is going right into summer. Floors are still ripped out.

Sponsor

Staff online