• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The Kirkwood inn did indeed receive a whole lot of damage and the rebuild is going right into summer. Floors are still ripped out.
Was Kirkwood Inn damaged because it was closed so nobody cleared the snow around the entrances for the first time in a big snow year and that led to damage? Or was it damaged because nobody was there when pipes froze or snow got so deep on the roof that it caused it to leak. I heard it was damaged, but so were a lot of other places in Kirkwood from having over 50' of snowfall this winter. Two houses blew up, probably from propane lines or tanks leaking, and at my friend's family's house, even with a lot of shoveling all season, their deck was in danger of collapse.

g3man

Booting up
Skier
Vail has moved Doug Pierini to manage the resorts in the northeast (Okema, etc) ... so what does this mean for Kirkwood? I'm just a paying customer (Kirkwood-only Pass), but there hasn't been much change over the last few years from before Doug joining as GM. Still closing earlier and earlier each year, still operationally worse than prior years (broken-down lifts, etc)

See article: Vail Shifts Management After Buying Mount Sunapee, Okemo
Vail Resorts management said Doug Pierini will leave his position as vice president and general manager of Kirkwood Mountain Resort in California and step in as general manager of Okemo. He also will serve as the chief operating officer of Vail Resort’s Northeast Region

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vail has moved Doug Pierini to manage the resorts in the northeast (Okema, etc) ... so what does this mean for Kirkwood? I'm just a paying customer (Kirkwood-only Pass), but there hasn't been much change over the last few years from before Doug joining as GM. Still closing earlier and earlier each year, still operationally worse than prior years (broken-down lifts, etc)

See article: Vail Shifts Management After Buying Mount Sunapee, Okemo
Vail Resorts management said Doug Pierini will leave his position as vice president and general manager of Kirkwood Mountain Resort in California and step in as general manager of Okemo. He also will serve as the chief operating officer of Vail Resort’s Northeast Region

That may be a promotion, but its also an interesting transition from a mountain like Kirkwood to a mountain like Okemo.
Interesting for sure.

Reactions: RJS

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems like Doug and his family have been moved all over the place in the past few years.
Yes, I know it is a promotion and yes, I know that it is “voluntary” but it has to be difficult for his wife and family. I hope it is worth it.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Doug grew up in New York. His parents were part-time instructors in upstate. He's now chief operating officer for the whole northeast division instead of just one resort.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug grew up in New York. His parents were part-time instructors in upstate. He's now chief operating officer for the whole northeast division instead of just one resort.

I understand that. My point was that Vail Resorts has moved him around many times from CA to CO and now that other coast. Great for his career but it has to be difficult for his family.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
He moved himself to different resorts several times before joining Vail. He's only moved a couple since.

I have friends in the oil industry who have lived all over the world. I know people in the automotive industry who have lived all over the country. Moving is part of the plan when folks seek to move up corporate ladders.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
He moved himself to different resorts several times before joining Vail. He's only moved a couple since.

I have friends in the oil industry who have lived all over the world. I know people in the automotive industry who have lived all over the country. Moving is part of the plan when folks seek to move up corporate ladders.

Yes, Kneale, I understand that moving is part of a climbing the corporate ladder. What I am suggesting is that Vail could do things differently than other companies to miminize impact on the families of their employees while maintaining their commitment to money making.

g3man

Booting up
Skier
Original intent to posting was to lament another change at the top of Kirkwood management... I don't see a corresponding announcement of a replacement head for Kirkwood; I was hoping (dreaming?) to see a positive change this year.

Their Facebook page stated "Every Friday until opening day find mountain improvement updates here!" ... but it already stopped after 2 updates. 8-(

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Original intent to posting was to lament another change at the top of Kirkwood management... I don't see a corresponding announcement of a replacement head for Kirkwood; I was hoping (dreaming?) to see a positive change this year.

Their Facebook page stated "Every Friday until opening day find mountain improvement updates here!" ... but it already stopped after 2 updates. 8-(
The replacement was someone existing in mgmt at least that's the last word I had on it a few weeks ago. Im not dropping names even though the place is in my rearview mirror.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Read what some of you have said about pizza. Whoever becomes the ruler of Kirkwood would have a lot of happy customers if they do the one thing we older hard cores that are all about the skiing have been asking for over DECADES. The Backside has some terrific skiing as is but that Chair 4 takes so so so so long to reach the top after going 60% of its distance over boringly flat terrain. Please please please do something with that unpleasant lift!

g3man

Booting up
Skier
The replacement was someone existing in mgmt at least that's the last word I had on it a few weeks ago. Im not dropping names even though the place is in my rearview mirror.
Hopefully, it's someone who is empowered to make decisions that would help Kirkwood overall... or at least a little bit of help to season pass holders like not closing when there's plenty of snow (though there's no snow in sight at the moment).

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think Vail should sell Kirkwood to Alterra, take the money & build more paid parking areas at their existing resorts :doh: :snowball:
Casey went to work at Squalpine & AFAIK is still there. Although Pierini has been back & forth & all over, I'm not sure it is always a choice when it comes to Vail.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was talking to some people about Kirkwood last year. A lot of comments on how due to the remote area that it's equally difficult to staff the place. So it's possible that even with a kick ass pizza place, you couldn't staff it for going pizza price rates...or whatever the economies are. I can see it...you can walk to Heavenly for the same wage as a 40 min+ commute each way.

Economics of that hill are a little batty. I'm sure that plays into the closing date equation as well.

Lets not even get started of the economics of owning a place there (and the snowball effect to renting a place there.)

Love Kirkwood. Hope it can thrive someday, in spite of it's challenges.

...think I'll go give them some $$ this weekend. :)

Sponsor

Staff online