• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't rent a car with a Citi credit card

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As of September 22, 2019, most (probably all) Citi credit cards will no longer include insurance coverage for automobile rentals.
They are dropping a long list of other travel benefits (none of which I care about, to be honest).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
As of September 22, 2019, most (probably all) Citi credit cards will no longer include insurance coverage for automobile rentals.
They are dropping a long list of other travel benefits (none of which I care about, to be honest).

I'll let my SO know. We use his card when traveling and renting a car for that reason. That's a bummer............

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Am I missing something?? Most US personal car insurance policies cover domestic rentals as well as those in Canada and Mexico.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I think the bigger issue is that lots of the coverages included in your home insurance, your car insurance, your credit card insurance, only cover the cost to repair and not this nebulous other thing they hit you with, loss of service. Basically, if they twiddle their thumbs about repairing the car they can hit you for every day it is out of commission. And those insurances mostly don't cover that. This is the bit that worries me every time I touch a rental car. I think that Citi got tired of being in the middle of those fights.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the bigger issue is that lots of the coverages included in your home insurance, your car insurance, your credit card insurance, only cover the cost to repair and not this nebulous other thing they hit you with, loss of service. Basically, if they twiddle their thumbs about repairing the car they can hit you for every day it is out of commission. And those insurances mostly don't cover that. This is the bit that worries me every time I touch a rental car. I think that Citi got tired of being in the middle of those fights.

This is one of those things where you need to read your policy carefully. My normal auto-insurance policy does cover loss of use, and it's not a special add-on or anything, but I don't think my previous policy did.

I also usually use my AmEx for rentals in part because it does have insurance benefits, but it specifically excludes certain types of vehicles (including vans). Again, the devil is in the details. I just double-checked, and it does provide loss-of-use coverage, but the total coverage is capped at $50k, and any loss that results from a violation of the rental agreement is also excluded (and rental agreements often ban driving off pavement, so good luck in Vermont).

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

When choosing which card to use, I'd rather one that is willing to get in the middle of those fights for me, and cover anything that my insurance won't.

Good head's up not to use Citi.

And it seems a bit odd that they don't want to be in the middle of those fights - Citi is plenty big and surely has lots of fights with all the major car cos. and can simply resolve them quickly. They're better positioned to negotiate away the BS charges than I am and I would have thought they basically would tell Avis, Hertz, etc. "look, we'll pay for loss of use but only a reasonable amount - you've got to get it in and out of the shop in 3 [x] days for small stuff and justify anything longer really carefully."

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't received any notification from Citi regarding my card, and my online account doesn't have any notifications for anything that I can see. I may have to ping them and see what's up.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/citi-dropping-several-benefits/

Citi announced today that they are dropping several benefits associated with their cards starting on September 22, 2019. This is unfortunate for Citi cardholders as not having these benefits detracts from their value.

Citibank announced some major changes to their Prestige card earlier in 2019. These changes are slowly going into effect this summer with the final changes happening in September 2019. The loss of the benefits only adds to the drama with the Prestige card and its less expensive counterparts.

What’s Going On?
Citibank is dropping the following benefits on September 22, 2019:
  • 90 Day Return Protection
  • Baggage Delay Protection
  • Citi Price Rewind
  • Lost Baggage Protection
  • Medical Evacuation
  • Missed Event Ticket Protection
  • Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service
  • Travel & Emergency Assistance
  • Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
  • Trip Delay Protection
  • Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
  • Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
Extended Warranty and Purchase Protection are also being removed from the Citi Double Cash and Citi Dividend Cards in September. Thank You point-earning and co-branded cards will still have these benefits.

In total, 12 benefits are going away from all Citi cards in the fall. What I find shocking is that many of them are commonplace on travel cards from other issuers. Now Citibank is doing away with them.

A favorite perk among Citi cardholders is the Price Rewind. This perk lets you scan a receipt for a product you purchased with your Citi card after finding a lower price elsewhere. Upon approval from Citi, you will get reimbursed the difference. This is a cool perk that you won’t find on cards from many other issuers.

Furthermore, many travelers with Citi cards like to use the Car Rental Insurance and Travel Accident Insurance. These perks have the potential to save travelers hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in the event of an accident happening. They also give travelers peace of mind knowing that their credit card issuer has their back. Peace of mind is a huge selling point for any product, let alone travel credit cards. With Citi removing this, they are also removing a competitive advantage compared to other issuers.

Analysis
When an issuer gets rid of perks, the reason why is generally a lack of use. It’s unfortunate that most consumers don’t know about the many perks that come with their credit cards. And now the banks are removing them for the consumers that do use them. Discover did a similar nerfing in the winter of 2018-19 as they got rid of a plethora of benefits that made their cards useful.

With Citi dropping these benefits, they will be losing part of their share in the travel card market to other issuers. Such other issuers will be apt to quickly take that share as the competition grows. For example, American Express has been adding new benefits to their cards over the last year, making them more attractive. Additionally, Chase already has similar benefits in place with its premium cards. Thus, Citi might be seeing many card cancellations and many of their consumers switching to another issuer in the future.

Citi might also think that they are compensating for these benefits being removed. MasterCard added some new benefits to all their World and World Elite cards in April 2019. Many of these new benefits are useful, but not to the extent of the current list. Most of Citi’s cards are MasterCards. Plus, you can get a World or World Elite MasterCard with a high enough limit.

Final Draw
Citi dropping these benefits is some of the worst card-related news of 2019 for travelers so far. However, not all hope is lost. Travelers can use the benefits from other cards. Chase and American Express have some of the best travel benefits between them. Furthermore, the points and transfer partners from these two issuers are oftentimes more valuable than Citi’s Thank You points.

In the meantime, these benefits remain for current Citi cardholders until September 22, 2019. They also go into effect for first year and newly approved cardholders. Unhappy cardholders can cancel, and Citi will provide a pro-rated annual fee refund. However, cancelling a Citi card without an annual fee might not be good for your credit history and your card foundation.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I just checked my Citi AA Card online and didn’t see anything about the changes. Wonder if they will email us about this if we are affected?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
I never got an email, but logging into my account today, and then clicking on the "Card Benefits" link did pop up a notification matching what's posted above. You might want to try that.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm pretty sure they sent me snail mail about it. Not sure why I even looked at it, as I pay my bill online. I thought it was just some come on for a rewards card. Normally they go straight in the shredder. I remember cursing.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That sucks. I've been a loyal Citi Card AA member for over 25 years. I've always justified the $50 annual fee for the benefits that they are now taking away. I'm going to have to call them ask what I'm getting for my $50 now. Capital One looks better all the time.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure they sent me snail mail about it. Not sure why I even looked at it, as I pay my bill online. I thought it was just some come on for a rewards card. Normally they go straight in the shredder. I remember cursing.

Ah... snail mail. That could be it. I could easily have missed that.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
That sucks. I've been a loyal Citi Card AA member for over 25 years. I've always justified the $50 annual fee for the benefits that they are now taking away. I'm going to have to call them ask what I'm getting for my $50 now. Capital One looks better all the time.

This is a particularly odd reduction of benefits for the airline affinity cards, which are pitched to travelers. What do travelers use? Rental cars! Seems like they're going to see some users drop their cards . . .

TS
mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We got snail mail letter about it months ago. It was so far off it slipped our minds. My wife remembered as we entered the car rental center at SFO. So we huddled there trying to get solid info on our phones. After a few call center round circles we finally found the Sept 22 date on thepointsguy.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

$50? It’s $99 now. I may have to reconsider options. I need to call them tomorrow

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I got the same notice on my Citi Card. Never used the perks that are going away, but it was nice to have the backstop.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the "people don't use it" is a strange explanation for removing the benefit. It's accident insurance - I sure hope I never have to use it.

In any case, I guess I'll have to review what my regular insurance covers, and consider whether or not to get another card that still carries primary rental car coverage. (My Citi card had/has primary coverage, with no annual fee which was nice... but I've had it for almost 20 years.)

Sponsor

Staff online