• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't mess with Parks Canada... apparently

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just as OHVs poaching trails gets them shut out of entire areas, the same will happen if the growing number of riders continue to build unauthorized trails. I'm glad he got popped.

James

Out There
Instructor
It happened in 2019 and now they’re fining him?

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
It happened in 2019 and now they’re fining him?

He was fired in 2019. His union filed a grievance and he was ordered to be reinstated in 2021.

I'm not condoning his actions but any serious mountain biker knows that the sports popularity is largely due to trails built illegally...errrr....ummm....without permission. Sedona, Durango and Breckenridge trails come to mind in the US but the North Shore and Squamish area is the same. Here's a quote from an NSMA article in 2019..."By the ministry definition, virtually all the mature trails on the North Shore were illegally built, including Ladies Only, Pipeline, Ned's, Seventh Secret, TNT and many others. Without unsanctioned building there would have been no mountain bike trails on the North Shore at all. The same goes for Squamish, Pemberton and Whistler."

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I back Parks Canada 100%. National Parks were created to preserve the area within the Park without development so future generations can enjoy. There is plenty of Crown land (land owned by the provincial governments) outside of parks and in B.C. people have the legal right (established by the B.C. Supreme Court) to recreate on Crown Land including long term camping, provided they do not build permanent structures or interfere with timber values.

Sponsor

Staff online