• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't eat ANY snow or else!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Lessee, when I was a kid I played with a ball of mercury, chomped on a chunk of lead, built about 100 model cars with toluene, got gasoline (leaded) splashed in my eye while tinkering with a Briggs and Stratton and more recently I've used paints with cadmium in them for my art work. and now this. I know I ate a lot of snow back in the day, too. Every time we biff it in the steep 'n' deep we inhale and swallow a lot of the stuff, too, We're all gonna die.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The difference Is now there are a whole lot more things out there that will kill you, and even more that we don't know what they do.

Progress marches on at mankinds a risk.

BTW I'll still eat the snow as long as it is white, mom taught me to avoid yellow snow:wag:.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference Is now there are a whole lot more things out there that will kill you, and even more that we don't know what they do.

Progress marches on at mankinds a risk.

BTW I'll still eat the snow as long as it is white, mom taught me to avoid yellow snow:wag:.
I tend to agree with you a lot.
On that note, our Utah snow is probably extra specially toxic since it picks up lovely stuff from our polluted air AND the Great Salt Lake. But, I'm guessing a few bites here and there are probably not a huge deal. Better than Flint, MI water I'm sure!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
chomped on a chunk of lead

I suspect I'm younger than you, but when I was growing up, my dad had an old lead weight in his garage - several pounds. I used to play with it and thought it was so cool that I could gouge it. Probably explains a lot ...

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
Yup, none of us are getting out of here alive.

Speak for yourself. I've got a reincarnation gig already lined up. I paid a guy I met at the bus station for it many years ago.

Not sure which one it will be but he guaranteed I would come back as a forever hot young lady, a multiple discipline world cup champion or a Ski Tote.

So I've got that going for me;)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Why You Shouldn't Eat ANY Snow, Not Just Yellow Snow
January 18, 2016 | by Robin Andrews

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/snow-sponge-toxic-car-exhaust-particles

Sure, I understand the part about snow nucleating on airborne dust, and the part about organic vapours getting trapped in the crystal lattice.

But...where do they think their drinking water comes from?

A few areas add treated sewage effluent to the snowmaking water. No one wants to eat that ! :eek:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Would adding bourbon offset anything?

9873599.jpg

5632762.jpg

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I thought of this thread when I saw that ^^ on facebook :) tell me how it went if you try it! (I would, we have gotten so much snow but then I'm not sure I trust snow that has been remotely near Philly street surfaces)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought of this thread when I saw that ^^ on facebook :) tell me how it went if you try it! (I would, we have gotten so much snow but then I'm not sure I trust snow that has been remotely near Philly street surfaces)

Yeah I think this might need to be tried with pure Rocky Mountain high-altitude meadow snow?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Speak for yourself. I've got a reincarnation gig already lined up. I paid a guy I met at the bus station for it many years ago.

Not sure which one it will be but he guaranteed I would come back as a forever hot young lady, a multiple discipline world cup champion or a Ski Tote.

So I've got that going for me;)

You'll be a ski tote.:duck:

Sponsor

Staff online