• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dominator Zoom vs Zoom Graphite & other Dominator wax questions

IceToon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello everyone.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping that members familiar with the Dominator system would be able to answer as I haven't been able to find a clear answer on their website or my Googling.

1. Is there any difference between the Dominator Zoom and Zoom Graphite beyond cosmetics? Based on my reading, graphite is supposed to reduce static, and suitable for dirty snow, but I can not seen any reference to that on the Dominator website. Instead, they seem to suggest that if the base is black go Graphite, and if it is clear then go regular. Having tried their Renew Graphite on a clear base, I can see that it makes the base look dirty, but, well, I am more interested in function (and price) over cosmetic. Right now I can find the Zoom a little cheaper than the Zoom Graphite so if they make no difference then I will just go Zoom, but if the Zoom Graphite does have some benefit on dirty spring snow, then I will stick to that.

2. At the moment my go to wax is the Hertel FC739. I find it better than other all temperature wax I have tried, at least in that price range. That said, in warm spring condition I find wanting myself wanting a bit more glide.. without breaking the bank.

First of all, has anyone compared the Zoom/Zoom Graphite with the FC739 in wet condition? If so, does the Dominator work as well/better/worse in your experience?

And suppose that the Zoom is no better, or worse than the FC739, would I be better off going for the Butter on top of the Zoom, OR the Race Zoom for Old Snow if I would like to up the performance while spending as little as possible?

And, for my own education (as I can't find much info on their website) what are the Q7/6/5 overlays and what are the differences between them (they all seem to be rated for the same temperature).

I would like to point out that my purpose is not racing, I am not looking for a solution that will allow me to go very fast for a few 100 meters, but rather something that will last me most of the day (longer the better) while providing more glide than the FC739 on wet spring snow.

Thanks in advance for your insights :)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never used the Hertel FC739 or the Q7 overlays. I have, however, used lots of the Zoom series waxes and like them a lot. I use the Renew with Graphite and the non-graphite zoom. The graphite is for static build up on very dry, cold, snow. I am not aware of it making a difference on dirty spring snow, but it might. I use the Renew base prep (with graphite) because it makes the zoom glide wax last 3 days after a hot wax, as opposed to 1 day. I only use Renew once or twice a season, not regularly. I use zoom regularly and its a good all temp wax. For wet snow, hyperzoom is noticeably better. For spring snow, putting butter over hyperzoom is even better, by a lot. Butter is the key for spring snow. It only lasts for a day, or less, but it works very well until it wears off. It is soft and you just rub it on and cork it in. You don't hot wax it, so you can put it on as often as needed.
If you want to use zoom with graphite, that might be even better than non graphite zoom, I have never tried it. Go to this page if you want more tech info:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
something that will last me most of the day (longer the better) while providing more glide than the FC739 on wet spring snow

In general, the waxes I've tried that work well on really warm wet snow don't last long, like Scott says about the Butter. For me it only lasts a couple runs. Also, are they even still making those fluorinated waxes?

Base structure is probably at least as important.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Similar to Scott, I start and end the season with Renew to do base prep, and also after a base grind. I use Zoom for most conditions, but Bullet on the coldest days, makes a difference. I tried putting Bullet over Zoom this season and thought the results were better. Renew + Zoom or Bullet seems to last longer than other waxes. I think I'll need to try Hyperzoom for springish conditions! I don't think I want to bother with Butter for recreational skiing as I don't get that much time on real spring snow.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Hello everyone.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping that members familiar with the Dominator system would be able to answer as I haven't been able to find a clear answer on their website or my Googling.

1. Is there any difference between the Dominator Zoom and Zoom Graphite beyond cosmetics? Based on my reading, graphite is supposed to reduce static, and suitable for dirty snow, but I can not seen any reference to that on the Dominator website. Instead, they seem to suggest that if the base is black go Graphite, and if it is clear then go regular. Having tried their Renew Graphite on a clear base, I can see that it makes the base look dirty, but, well, I am more interested in function (and price) over cosmetic. Right now I can find the Zoom a little cheaper than the Zoom Graphite so if they make no difference then I will just go Zoom, but if the Zoom Graphite does have some benefit on dirty spring snow, then I will stick to that.
I'm speaking from a cross country perspective, but there used to be some belief that a graphite wax as a layer under other waxes helped those other waxes last longer. I believed that for awhile, though now less sure. But a bunch of people believed it.

I certainly believe graphite waxes make a difference in dirty snow - though it's not that they're faster right off the bat, but that graphite helps resist dirt which will slow glide. It would have to be exceptionally dirty to ski on such a wax as a final layer (really, I think it is never done), but graphite would be used underneath another wax and bleed into that other wax, changing its properties

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hello everyone.

2. At the moment my go to wax is the Hertel FC739. I find it better than other all temperature wax I have tried, at least in that price range. That said, in warm spring condition I find wanting myself wanting a bit more glide.. without breaking the bank.

First of all, has anyone compared the Zoom/Zoom Graphite with the FC739 in wet condition? If so, does the Dominator work as well/better/worse in your experience?

And suppose that the Zoom is no better, or worse than the FC739, would I be better off going for the Butter on top of the Zoom, OR the Race Zoom for Old Snow if I would like to up the performance while spending as little as possible?

And, for my own education (as I can't find much info on their website) what are the Q7/6/5 overlays and what are the differences between them (they all seem to be rated for the same temperature).

I would like to point out that my purpose is not racing, I am not looking for a solution that will allow me to go very fast for a few 100 meters, but rather something that will last me most of the day (longer the better) while providing more glide than the FC739 on wet spring snow.

The answers you seek are at the website. Wax science demystified. Look a bit harder.
Anyway, with the new lines of Dominator waxes coming forth, it might be best to take a look at those.
They are FFC and Elite.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The answers you seek are at the website. Wax science demystified. Look a bit harder.
Anyway, with the new lines of Dominator waxes coming forth, it might be best to take a look at those.
They are FFC and Elite.
Jacques, we'll need you and other waxing experts here (@Philpug ) to give us the review on the new vs old Dominator lines once you get the chance to compare them. Wax Cage Matches!

Jacques

Skier
Jacques, we'll need you and other waxing experts here (@Philpug ) to give us the review on the new vs old Dominator lines once you get the chance to compare them. Wax Cage Matches!
I used FFC base prep. and warm and cold for a few others. They reported excellent performance.
I should get some Elite testing waxes before next season I hope. (I was told some would be sent to me once in full production) I am sure they will perform well as Thanos told me he was "beyond stoked" with the Elite waxes performance.

Jacques

Skier
Hello everyone.

Are you skiing in Japan? Dominator makes waxes just for the monsoonal snow they get there.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never used the Hertel FC739 or the Q7 overlays. I have, however, used lots of the Zoom series waxes and like them a lot. I use the Renew with Graphite and the non-graphite zoom. The graphite is for static build up on very dry, cold, snow. I am not aware of it making a difference on dirty spring snow, but it might. I use the Renew base prep (with graphite) because it makes the zoom glide wax last 3 days after a hot wax, as opposed to 1 day. I only use Renew once or twice a season, not regularly. I use zoom regularly and its a good all temp wax. For wet snow, hyperzoom is noticeably better. For spring snow, putting butter over hyperzoom is even better, by a lot. Butter is the key for spring snow. It only lasts for a day, or less, but it works very well until it wears off. It is soft and you just rub it on and cork it in. You don't hot wax it, so you can put it on as often as needed.
If you want to use zoom with graphite, that might be even better than non graphite zoom, I have never tried it. Go to this page if you want more tech info:

Apologies for reviving an old thread but was wondering if you have been able to compare Hyperzoom to one of the newer fluro-free ones like FFC2? As a rec skier, I don't think I can afford the Elite line haha

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used hyperzoom and like it a lot. Very close to their race zoom waxes. I have not tried any of the new waxes that came out recently to replace floro. Still using up my Zoom waxes and I put DPS Phantom on all my skis

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had surprisingly good luck with the new Swix line at ABasin/Breck last week.
We crayoned it in on the hill, corked vigorously with the edge (not flat) of the cork, and then vigorously brushed with my cheap nylon brush (chosen for its small size). Not thorough brushing ... there were visible wax crumbs on the surface afterwards.

I actually think it worked better than the Dominator Butter I used the previous day.
20220516_221403.jpg

20220516_222300.jpg

Sponsor