• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dominator Wax combinations for Tahoe conditions?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello Dominator wax experts. Looking for some advice on combination that would work with the Dominator Zoom line that I am thinking of switching to--
  • ReNew for base-prep and hot wax - How often is this required? Every waxing? Once every few waxings? Only when skis look dirty?
  • Butter (HF) rub-on for spring slush/wet conditions- Can I apply it over Zoom or does it need at least the Hyper Zoom (LF) to work well?
  • Race Zoom old/new snow (MF) for my daughter's race days- Does this go straight on the ski base, or does it first need a layer of Zoom/Hyper Zoom to go on top of?
I am assuming The Dominator Bullet line (<14F) is not needed for Tahoe.

Thanks!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IME Butter goes over anything - but whatever you're putting it over better be a) durable for the conditions and b) completely brushed out. Butter will *not* work if you take a badly scraped first wax, put Butter on it, and then try to ski rain-soaked fresh snow. (Yep, I proved that again this season).

ReNew's best feature is its penetration. It's great for a) dry bases b) just after aggressive pre-wax brushing c) changing the main temp of the wax of the day (super hard to warm and vice versa) d) the previous wax had silicones or whatsits in it (e.g. going from spring wax back to cold formula). It's absolutely topnotch as a wax absorption tester - if bases won't take ReNew they are either extruded or iron-burned and won't take anything. Every waxing? No need, just use the wax of the day.

No experience with other Dom products and definitely not an expert,
CTM

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hello Dominator wax experts. Looking for some advice on combination that would work with the Dominator Zoom line that I am thinking of switching to--
  • ReNew for base-prep and hot wax - How often is this required? Every waxing? Once every few waxings? Only when skis look dirty?
  • Butter (HF) rub-on for spring slush/wet conditions- Can I apply it over Zoom or does it need at least the Hyper Zoom (LF) to work well?
  • Race Zoom old/new snow (MF) for my daughter's race days- Does this go straight on the ski base, or does it first need a layer of Zoom/Hyper Zoom to go on top of?
I am assuming The Dominator Bullet line (<14F) is not needed for Tahoe.

Thanks!

With the Zoom system all you need is either butter to overlay or some bullet to make it harder. Hint: Fresh snow no matter how warm likes harder.
Use renew every once in a while. Always use to prepare a ski and to start each season. If you skipped too many waxings it may be to late if you burned the bases for even renew. You can use renew any time though as long as you scrape and brush well, then apply your day wax, so don't be afraid to use it!.
Butter will hang on better after the ski has been waxed with some fluorocarbons, so use the race zoom old snow or hyper zoom first.
Although Zoom is good for fairly cols snows, remember fresh snows can be quite aggressive, so use some bullet in the mix and you will see.

Other than that it is a must to always scrape and brush well. See this video. If not, it's all for naught.

Then never wax a dirty ski! Always, every time, use this method to clean the base before waxing.

BTW on the Butter see this video.

Hope all that will help. I just found this thread.

smoothrides

Delivering Speed
Skier
Industry Insider
If you have race zoom old/new for your daughter, you should probably be using them on your skis too! :) Those two products will cover you almost all the time in Tahoe. If you rub it on thin and keep your iron moving, or rub it on and cork, you should get 40+ waxings out of a 100g block. Renew is great right off the grinder or as a travel/storage wax. Also works well for cleaning if hot scraping is your thing.

The Race Butter is phenomenal when it's low tide in the spring, but even when corked it only lasts a couple runs, so keep it in your pocket with a wine cork, and slap a coat on when you're on the gondola.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
If you have race zoom old/new for your daughter, you should probably be using them on your skis too! :) Those two products will cover you almost all the time in Tahoe. If you rub it on thin and keep your iron moving, or rub it on and cork, you should get 40+ waxings out of a 100g block. Renew is great right off the grinder or as a travel/storage wax. Also works well for cleaning if hot scraping is your thing.

The Race Butter is phenomenal when it's low tide in the spring, but even when corked it only lasts a couple runs, so keep it in your pocket with a wine cork, and slap a coat on when you're on the gondola.

I would second the above as a long time user of Dominator waxes.
Although I seem to think the Butter can last a bit longer than two runs, but then that's going to depend on how long the runs are! ;) I'd give it 10,000 vert. at 35 mph average if done correctly over a fluorocarbon base of wax. :duck:

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
textrovert,

You have it sorted pretty well. I use the Zoom series and I am a race coach. I don't get over the top with waxing, just want my family's skis to slide well.

If you haven't bought the Renew yet, get the version with graphite, its better for the ski. You use it after a grind, at the start of the season, or anytime you want to "hot scrape" your skis. Basically it sinks deep into the base and glide wax likes to stick to it. It will make your hot waxing with glide wax last 2-4 days before it wears off. I use it at the start of the season (hot scrape) and maybe 1 or too times during season.

Zoom, hyper zoom, and race zoom are all very good. I find hyper zoom to glide better than plain zoom when not quite in the sweet spot temp. range. Save the race zoom for race days and flourocarbon wax (race zoom) sticks better to other flourocarbon wax. You can put it on over renew or zoom, but it stick better to a coat of hyperzoom and will last longer.

Butter is very soft and wears off in less than a day, usually. It has lots of flourocarbon, so will do better over hyperzoom, but I just put it on when the temp's require it. BTW, don't hot wax it on, just rub it in with a cork.

I have one small cube of bullet for when its cold (<18 F), in the NE we need it, you may not. I do mix the bullet with zoom usually unless it is very very cold. Bullet is very hard and it is work to scrape off, but it has great glide on cold days.

There were some really good threads on Epic about this, too bad its gone.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Sponsor