Dog nutrition: what do you feed your pooch?

Discussion in 'Chez Ziggy' started by pete, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Another thing Ziggy loved was a good rawhide bone. That was another hard no after being diagnosed with pancreatitis. On his last day we gave him a rawhide bone and let him go to town on it. Its funny how he was having some neurological issues after a seizure, but he knew what to do with that rawhide.
    *talking about this made me go look at pictures of him and now I'm tearing up.
    IMG_2683.jpeg

2. bbinder

bbinder Out on the slopes Skier

Only works if your dog has an egg deficiency. Which is no dog ever. Eggs are a great source of highly biologically available protein plus fat. My first go-to for skin issues are omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids (and curiously, mega doses can have anti itch and anti inflammatory properties, e.g., for allergies and arthritis). Often I have seen a dog’s skin improve from a random change to a different commercial dog food - my theory is some micronutrient that dog needs is present one but not the other food. And as noted already: Siberians: think Zinc!

Mendieta, pete and Monique like this.
  3. bbinder

Short answer is that most dogs will have different responses with respect to gas production. I am told that the ‘Beano’ product for dogs works.

crgildart likes this.
  4. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

*hug*

Eggs are also good for omegas, aren't they? Is there a cheap-ish form of fish oil etc around? I am sure they would love it as oil rather than in a capsule.

Mendieta likes this.
  5. bbinder

Usually rawhide causes a problem because a dog swallows a chunk and that chunk causes an obstruction. Personally, I do not believe that it swells much in the stomach. Gorilla glue is another issue, but nobody gives that to their dog for fun...
    Safe chewing objects is a tough subject. As you noted, bones (and anything harder than their teeth) can cause a fractured tooth - painful, and yet few dogs complain. They just feel and act better when the tooth is treated or extracted. Rawhide has issues, but if monitored most dogs do OK. Unless they are prone to stomach upset from rawhide. Just be careful where the rawhide is sourced. Most come into the country from container ships form Asia. There is a lot of documentation of findings foreign rawhide contaminated with bacteria (E. Coli; Salmonella) or heavy metals such as arsenic or lead. Rawhide that is processed in North America is safer. Be careful with tennis balls - they can be more abrasive than sand paper. I have seen dogs wear their teeth down to nubs from chewing on tennis balls.

Boy, I am sounding like a debby downer.
    The beneficial amount is more than you can find in an egg or an OTC preparation. There are prescription products on the human and animal side that can fit the bill (I believe...). A couple of companies make a prescription diet that is hypersupplemented e.g., Hills j/d. I had one severely arthritis patient on j/d that I was able to get off of all other medications, but she was probably an outlier.

Mendieta, pete and Monique like this.

6. DanoT

DanoT RVer-Skier Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    I am a bit of a skeptic, so I have always figured that the expensive Omega 3 eggs are a marketing ploy and that in reality have more Omega 3 than other eggs, but not enough to offer much if any health benefit. Strictly speculation on my part, though.

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    pete

pete not peace but 2 Beers! Skier

Should share the beef heart ... beef heart and onions are tasty.

I've read various stories on rawhides, noted this more recent one that I'm no expert as to it's contents, however I feel it is honestly written:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/care/finding-the-right-rawhide-chew-for-your-dog/

8. Monique

I'll be rolling in steak.

Maybe literally.

I REALLY like steak.

9. Varmintmist

Varmintmist Bear, with furnture. Skier

Stuffed heart :golfclap::golfclap:
    Non dog related story.
    I was in the service and lived off base. Bought a heart and was going to cook it. Had a guy in the shop that we started his name with "Big" from CA. I remember him asking me to spot him in the gym on an incline bench. About half way through his set I told him not to drop the weight, because there was no way I was going to get that off of him.

I mentioned that I was going to do a heart and he was "thats disgusting/gross" ect ect. Well I cooked the heart, and cubed up some of it and put it in a bowl with some cubed cheese to eat. I started eating it and sur enough he came over and asked what it was. I said meat and cheese. Mentioned it looked pretty good. Kept looking at it and asked for some. So I gave him some. He said "This is really good, what is it?" I said "beef heart" ........

You ever see the Bugs bunny cartoons where the blood drains out of his face in a clear line showing where it is leaving? I saw that as he stopped and took a few breaths. I also moved my chair back in case I had to run. After a few seconds, he asked for more and I lived.

exKong.jpg
    This is a Kong for power chewers. 3H 16m from new.

I just found a dog bone last night. It was most of the way through the toilet, jammed up near the cone. One snake that didnt work, a wax ring and new bolts and I can potty all night now.

Monique and pete like this.
  10. Jenny

Jenny Out on the slopes Skier

It’s really nice to have all the beef right in the freezer and, yes, you’ll have lots of steak. But what you’ll really be rolling in is ground beef. So much ground beef. We have a lot of the ground beef pre-made into hamburgers, because it is cheap and we are lazy, and we STILL have just pounds and pounds of it in one pound packs.

11. Thread Starter
    TS
    pete

Monique likes this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    pete

hahahhaha, sidetrack subject: we do steak on regular basis ... usually buy on sale or whole loins to avoid all the "other cuts". buying 1/4 or 1/2 might be overall cheaper and give you extras for pooches, but T-bones are $6.88/lb and whole loins run $5.99/lb regular basis. (side side note: if buying a loin, once cut up I will season and then vacuum seal for freezer. One can thaw em quickly in a pot of water .. and the time between freeze and thaw provides the marinate time)

Monique likes this.
  13. Tricia

This is really good information for our next pup.

14. Monique

Yeah, they said to expect about 100 pounds of ground. I see a lot of meatloaf in my future (couldn't see paying to have them made into patties). Burgers, too. Ooh. I used to do a mean ground beef stroganoff ... Need to find that recipe ... But yeah, it's a lot. If I were the only cook in the house, I wouldn't have done it, but my boyfriend also cooks a lot, and both of us hate food waste, so I think we'll figure it out.

Back to topic: I think Loki is farting more as I transition their food, but at least it's not stinky. Still early days, though - they're getting a mix of old and new right now.

15. Tricia

Not sure if I ever posted this here, but we have a neighbor who had a rescue mastiff mix. Oggie.
    [​IMG]
    He loved to chew on balls, any balls. He also had a kidney issue and was on prescription dog food.
    One day we were eating dinner at our house and I noticed a unique ball laying on the ottoman and took a closer look.
    It was my 2 inch lead cannon ball. :eek:
    Now that's some interesting dog nutrition.
    IMG_4735.jpg

Monique likes this.
  16. Monique

I knew a German Shepherd who insisted on gnawing on large rocks!

Sibhusky likes this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    pete

rescue .... yea!

Tricia likes this.
  18. oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier Out on the slopes Skier

All of our dogs have lived between 13 and the low end to 16 at the high end.

Its been primarily Purina (cheapest on sale :rolleyes:) plus some stuff my wife cooks specifically for them (left over rice with chicken or beef stock with some veggies) mixed in on occasion.

Our vet on that last visit asked what do we feed them as they have a shinny coat and extremely healthy. He was surprised what we told him.

I primarily look at the manufacturing location as it IMHO determines quality control (aka liability awareness because of local regulations).

Purina is a big feed manufacturer and making an error like this can cost them business if it spills over to other sectors, so again, I suspect they have quality simply to ensure long term profits.

crgildart likes this.
  19. Tricia

I used to buy a market steer at the 4H livestock sales. It is a great way to support future farmers and get some amazing quality beef. Don't be surprised if the meat taste different, as in, it will taste more like "beef". Also ask the butcher to make the ground beef to your specs. I used to ask for 90/10

Monique likes this.
  20. Tricia

Between Phil and I, all of the last 4 dogs have been rescues and the next one will be too.

pete and bbinder like this.