• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog Breeder ad on Pugski

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I noticed an ad for a site that seems like a vetted dog breeder sales platform.
I know I shouldn't be surprised at the price of some of these dogs, but since I am a dog rescue sort of person, this gave me sticker shock.
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.15.40 AM.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I noticed an ad for a site that seems like a vetted dog breeder sales platform.
I know I shouldn't be surprised at the price of some of these dogs, but since I am a dog rescue sort of person, this gave me sticker shock.
View attachment 112551
Love can't be bought. +1 to rescues.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dogs have a cost, but some take advantage of a situation, block the ad as it well above what a reasonable price should be unless it is a sucker.
I've been blocking ads that don't pertain to our audience for a while now, but its like playing Whack-a-Mole

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've also heard that the pandemic has driven up prices. I have mixed feelings about dog breeding as I do think that there is value in getting an animal with known background both genetically and care but the best animals I've had and known have been shelter/rescue animals.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Our first 3 dogs were quality pups from reputable breeders. Granted that was 25 years ago, but adjusted for inflation, they'd be closer to $800 today, which is frankly close to what I expected to find. I was stunned the other day to see $400-700 prices on a breed rescue site. These weren't dogs with papers and CERF/SHOR certifications, they were older "mixes". Given that my experience with rescue dogs has shown a pretty high spend rate in the first six months or so playing catch-up with their health, those fees are ludicrous. $3000 for a dog sold online over the internet? Not happening. We bought our dogs from folks who cared enough about their dogs to put us through the wringer.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Our current rescue came with a 2 week free trial. We took her to the vet to get a full going over. Everything was up to date done by the foster dad who had her before us. ZERO issues the first 8 years. Lowest maintenence dog and best behaved dog I've ever owned. The adoption fee and donation back in 2012 was like $75.00

Edit to add, ya the vetting to even get that 2 week trial was pretty exhaustive. They are very careful who they allow to adopt around here... pit bulls, dog fighting etc..

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Disclaimer:
I am a rescue person 100%, but my niece breeds Bullies.
It was a passion of her husband so after he died she was committed to carry on his passion.
She gets decent money for her pups, not like the prices in that ad, but she's still developing her reputation. While she is based in Michigan now, she and her husband started breeding in OK, so she regularly makes trips to deliver pups to clientel in OK.
@Sibhusky I will say, in regard to the breeders putting you through the wringer, my niece vets the buyer really well, and has a contract that states that the person she sells a pup to has to reliquish the dog to her if they decide its not a goof fit. So far she has had one pup that she exchanged for a different one because the bullie didn't really fit. The second one did.

This is her facebook page.
I'm not pimping her breeding, just commenting on the varied thinking when it comes to pets.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve dealt with a few breeders on some of our dogs and had several rescues. The dogs were all great from both so I’m not judging. IMO it’s more about how you raise then once you have them home.
I'm with you.
I'm more of a rescue person but I don't have a knock on reputable breeders. I do have a huge issue with puppy mills.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here in New England rescues are around $500. There are a few towns where you can get a local pup at a shelter for around $150- $200. But not all local shelters are that cheap. And most rescue pups aren't local, they are brought up from the south. So the fee covers the adoption fee from a shelter down south, vetting, spaying or neutering, often a foster until transport, and then transport. In MA there is also a 2 day quarantine after they arrive. All of the rescues also make note that your adoption fee helps to cover the occasional higher vetting and fostering fee for some dogs that need more care before transport. Like if they are heartworm positive, injured, etc. As a comparison, the going price for a purebred Golden Retriever is around $3000. For a purebred you can get on a list for a litter next spring or later. Some are taking names for 2 years out. Not that a rescue is much easier. Rescues have waitlists here too, although not as long. Well, unless you want a specific breed. The local Golden Retriever rescue stopped taking applications. And then there's the screening with personal and vet references, sometimes home visits... you can expect to apply for several dogs before getting approved, many of which you never even hear back from the rescue after applying, you just see that the dog is no longer available on the rescue's site.

Yes, it is great that there aren't many strays around here. But if you want to adopt, it takes a little more work, and money, than in other parts of the country. And well worth it. We've had our new rescue pup John Archibald for about a month now.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On my side of the family we have had Doxies for years (in total 6 from the same breeder and on other breeder) they all ran from $1,000 to 1,500 complete with papers over a 30yr period. The last had no papers but and paid that much (long story I won't share , if we hadn't found her I was in for a drive to travel 2,000 miles round trip), because our breeder had passed on an her daughter had health issues and couldn't keep it up. We also considered rescues but had a hard time finding one that match what was needed for the one without papers. Our Jack was $600.00 with papers, so I understand that dogs cost money and what people spend is crazy.

One of our Doxies got into Gorilla Glue (yes they have a vet on there emergency line 24x7, besides regular doctors, something to do with it tastes and smells good for pets and kids if I understood correctly), its not toxic but kills the dog (or animals) all the same as a pea size amount swells into a coconut sized lump in the stomach. At the time (10 years ago) it resulted in a $2,700.00 vet bill to have it removed, so sanity does not always win. Dog other than a cone of shame and scar on the belly, no worse for wear.

@Tricia sorry didn't mean to imply that you didn't, just mad at the advertisers to be so thoughtless. Some ad's are match to the thread topic including advertising the opposite of what is being discussed or prompted by the site. Very targeted, very scary that they monitor the site that closely.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit to add, ya the vetting to even get that 2 week trial was pretty exhaustive. They are very careful who they allow to adopt around here... pit bulls, dog fighting etc..

Yes, we do a pretty exhaustive vetting and if something doesn't feel right we have no hesitation to say no. Recently one adopter claimed to not want to share their veterinarian's name and phone number because the application didn't have an ssl certificate. Mind you, he was perfectly willing to provide all of his own information. It just didn't feel right.

Even if I foster fail with Hatch I will have to fill out the application and pay the fee. I think there is a small discount as a foster but knowing how well they care for these animals, I'll probably refuse that discount or donate it back to them. He's had some tummy troubles and we ended up at the vet with meds and a prescription diet along with a fecal test. There was no hesitation once the director and I decided it was probably time.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here in New England rescues are around $500.
That seems crazy to me. We paid 125.00 for Gypsy and that was the fee for a dog that we needed to pay for spaying.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here in New England rescues are around $500. There are a few towns where you can get a local pup at a shelter for around $150- $200. But not all local shelters are that cheap. And most rescue pups aren't local, they are brought up from the south. So the fee covers the adoption fee from a shelter down south, vetting, spaying or neutering, often a foster until transport, and then transport.

Well, "down south" AKA HERE, it's still around $100 to adopt and they come already spayed/neutered with all vaccinations up to date. So, I think theyre's possibly some gouging happening there to get to $500,or even half that. Disappointing if that's happening..

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think we paid as little as $25 and as much as $150 for a rescue pup. Again, that ain’t the point. It’s about giving a dog a home and getting a great dog.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think we paid as little as $25 and as much as $150 for a rescue pup. Again, that ain’t the point. It’s about giving a dog a home and getting a great dog.
If even the letig rescues are charging $500 that inevitibly leads to more puppy mills and other less well regulated sources flooding the market.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the time (10 years ago) it resulted in a $2,700.00 vet bill to have it removed, so sanity does not always win.
Dachshunds are notorious for having back issues. Ours, however, was slim and athletic so we were not too worried ... until he was walking along while snow was thawing and spotted a child's baseball bat in the thawing snow. We assume he thought it was a snake and twisted round violently. This was 16 years ago, and $1,898 later for the fused vertebrae ...
100_0104.JPG

Sponsor