• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dog Breeder ad on Pugski

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ours are $325 for adult dogs and $400 for puppies. That’s inline with most rescues around here. The Boulder Humane Society (shelter) is $200 for an adult and $400 for a puppy.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Qimmiq (RIP) was $200 2 years and eight months ago. We promptly had $800 of dental work in addition to getting his shots up to date. We were his 4th family and neutering and microchip had been handled a few owners back. Dental work had apparently never been done in his 8 years of life up until then. Between the expenses of him getting into chocolate, zinc responsive dermatis and endless zinc tests($240 per test), and a tumor on his prostate, the hits just kept on coming. He may have set a new record, but I haven't done that to myself yet. I really miss him actively at this point. My other dog is here beside me but she is shy and quiet and not the joyful clown that Qimmiq was. (She may have been about $200, but that was 12 years ago.)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Qimmiq (RIP) was $200 2 years and eight months ago. We promptly had $800 of dental work in addition to getting his shots up to date. We were his 4th family and neutering and microchip had been handled a few owners back. Dental work had apparently never been done in his 8 years of life up until then. Between the expenses of him getting into chocolate, zinc responsive dermatis and endless zinc tests($240 per test), and a tumor on his prostate, the hits just kept on coming. He may have set a new record, but I haven't done that to myself yet. I really miss him actively at this point. My other dog is here beside me but she is shy and quiet and not the joyful clown that Qimmiq was. (She may have been about $200, but that was 12 years ago.)

Awwww. We have some awesome dogs available with RezDawg. I wish you were closer.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be surprised if any rescue groups in Massachusetts are making a profit on a $500 fee. In addition to transport and feeding costs, some rescue groups appear to be committed to dealing with all of the health care issues of the dogs that they adopt out, including some that are not immediately obvious (dental issues, congenital issues, heartworm disease, etc.). Even with basic care (vaccinations, deworming, heartworm test, and spay/neutering) the cost to the veterinary hospital far exceeds the $100-125 adoption fees that are quoted above. Most veterinarians are willing to take a financial hit on occasional patients, but it is not sustainable on a large scale without being subsidized. I would be happy to debate and justify veterinary fees, and I hope that I don't need to with this group...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd be surprised if any rescue groups in Massachusetts are making a profit on a $500 fee. In addition to transport and feeding costs, some rescue groups appear to be committed to dealing with all of the health care issues of the dogs that they adopt out, including some that are not immediately obvious (dental issues, congenital issues, heartworm disease, etc.). Even with basic care (vaccinations, deworming, heartworm test, and spay/neutering) the cost to the veterinary hospital far exceeds the $100-125 adoption fees that are quoted above. Most veterinarians are willing to take a financial hit on occasional patients, but it is not sustainable on a large scale without being subsidized. I would be happy to debate and justify veterinary fees, and I hope that I don't need to with this group...
I'm just trying to figure out how rescue groups here stay afloat only charging 1/5th of that?? I get that things cost more in urban areas of New England than here, but not 5X as much. I'm thinking maybe we got an increadibly good deal because ours had been in foster care almost a year with no real interest until we took her.

OK right now it's more like 2.5X as much. We've done two since 1999 and both came fully fixed, vaccinated, wormed etc with zero additional vet needs beyond routine annual stuff.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just trying to figure out how rescue groups here stay afloat only charging 1/5th of that?? I get that things cost more in urban areas of New England than here, but not 5X as much. I'm thinking maybe we got an increadibly good deal because ours had been in foster care almost a year with no real interest until we took her.

OK right now it's more like 2.5X as much. We've done two since 1999 and both came fully fixed, vaccinated, wormed etc with zero additional vet needs beyond routine annual stuff.

Some rescue groups get subsidized and/or have fund raising to offset some of the costs. They may get donations of short dated meds and vaccines. There certainly are veterinarians out there who go above and beyond - they will contribute time and money and are willing to suffer financially to a degree. And some veterinarians will cut corners when performing surgery in order to reduce costs. I would always treat a rescue the same as a client's pet - the same time, meds and procedures. Personally, I wouldn't sleep well otherwise.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Some rescue groups get subsidized and/or have fund raising to offset some of the costs. They may get donations of short dated meds and vaccines. There certainly are veterinarians out there who go above and beyond - they will contribute time and money and are willing to suffer financially to a degree. And some veterinarians will cut corners when performing surgery in order to reduce costs. I would always treat a rescue the same as a client's pet - the same time, meds and procedures. Personally, I wouldn't sleep well otherwise.
My daughter volunteered 1-2 Saturdays a month for about two years at that local Independent Animal Rescue. She said there's a line of licensed vets wanting to work there for next to nothing or entirely free. This is the heart of biotech and big pharm. Plenty of vets working here but not the altruistic gigs most would prefer.. drug testing on animals is where most of them get their food money. It's a positive externality that they come volunteer at the local rescues to collect good Karma points. Perhaps that's how we keep the costs lower around here?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter volunteered 1-2 Saturdays a month for about two years at that local Independent Animal Rescue. She said there's a line of licensed vets wanting to work there for next to nothing or entirely free. This is the heart of biotech and big pharm. Plenty of vets working here but not the altruistic gigs most would prefer.. drug testing on animals is where most of them get their food money. It's a positive externality that they come volunteer at the local rescues to collect good Karma points. Perhaps that's how we keep the costs lower around here?
Sure, makes sense to me!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I don't begrudge rescue groups their fees knowing what goes into care of these pets.
Imagine getting a stray dog, having to have it fixed, chipped, and all that entails and you're quickly over 500.00 before you even thinkg about feeding it and general overhead.

Some groups like CRCS put a ton of effort into training and socializing pets that would otherwise be lost in the system. There were a few dogs we visited before we adopted Gypsy that were(what I would consider) lost dogs. It was clear that they were destined to live out their life in the shelter. :(

We give to the Nevada Humane Society and also donate products for their silent auction. When Ziggy passed, we donated his gluco monitor to them which was received with enthusiasm. It was quite clear that things like that are costly for them and needed for some of their rescues.

You definitely don't need to debate the value of a good veternarian and the fees that ensue.
I've actually been surprised at the affordablity of vet fees over the years here wtih Ziggy, even when he developed diabetes and pancreatitis.

*We adopted Gypsy from the county animal shelter where its subsidized with tax dollars. The cost was $125.00.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Getting back to the original discussion for a moment, I feel that charging $3000-4000 for a dog is nuts. Especially since many of the dogs in this price range are “hybrids” or as I refer to them (affectionately): mutts. I totally get the reasons behind a quality breeder charging substantial money for a pup. In our area, a well bred Golden Retriever puppy will sell for $1000-2000. A quality breeder for me is one that is working to delete genetically related diseases from the breed as well as breeding for appearance and temperament. A quality breeder is not in it for the money - after covering their costs (housing, feeding, training, showing, vet bills), many are lucky to break even. For quality breeders, it is a labor of passion.

I have enormous respect for rescue groups and the people that adopt rescue dogs. They are often dealing with dogs that are psychologically neglected or damaged (in addition to any health issues that are present). It takes an enormous amount of time, effort, and money to get these dogs on the right track. I admit that while I can offer some sound advice regarding these dogs, I don’t have the desire or fortitude to undertake the task. And Marcia and I are suckers for Goldens (for lots of reasons, not the least of which is that are easy). When our previous dog passed, Marcia would literally stop her car in the street while driving in order to get out and pet a passing Golden Retriever - while I can make fun of her for this, I am not much better... Our first Golden was a rescue and our second was an accident (long story). For our current dog, we were unable to find either and went to a breeder.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When our previous dog passed, Marcia would literally stop her car in the street while driving in order to get out and pet a passing Golden Retriever - while I can make fun of her for this, I am not much better... Our first Golden was a rescue and our second was an accident (long story). For our current dog, we were unable to find either and went to a breeder.

When my boss and I are traveling and I see a dog I know that he will likely stop to say hi to the dog. When I told him I had applied to foster dogs he was super excited.

Sponsor

Staff online