• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm sure if I were still there I'd be looking for some quieter place. Just the thought of Burma Road or Honeymoon Lane terrifies me now.
But when you are over 70 you do not go near the place on the weekend or holidays. Weekdays are not so bad especially Blue Mt.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbird. But I came to the decision to get one by a circuitous route.

I bought the Ikon Pass a couple of weeks ago to include my Mammoth (4-6) and Winter Park (12-14) days next year. My 16-18 Snowbird days presented a bit of a quandry: My first reading of the Ikon FAQ led me to believe that after the included 7 days the additional 10 days or so would be at 25% off. However, a closer reading showed that additional days are at full price. I'd gotten used to the MCP half price days, and I never previously thought much about a Snowbird season pass. Until I looked it up and realized that the senior pass is only $659 ($999. non-senior). Up to then, I had thought the solution was to buy the 10 day card for $559 (last year's price). However, with 4 days coming up next week being included, buying the season pass on top of the Ikon pass became a no-brainer. I really hate the idea of the Ikon days going to waste, but after rolling it around in my head a bit more, I realized that I can use the 7 Ikon days to cross over to Alta if the need rises to meet someone over there, which always seems to crop up during a week's stay.

Oh, and next year my 6 Ikon days at Jackson Hole will be gravy. And then there's Deer Valley... And Solitude...

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Our mountain has great deals on senior passes. 65to75 is $99 if you buy this year for next and $25 if you are over 75
in season senior is $99 bargain for the older skiers. Goes up to $355 after Nov 1. This is a smaller but good mountain
with short line ups. Just a bit far for a day treck from Vancouver. Lots of people stay overnight in Rvs or had the lodge. Some come up from Hope BC

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Both Blue Mt and Camel Back are free @ 70. PA does a good job for us seniors.
Canaan Valley and Timberline in WV are also free @ 70.

Squaw Valley until about 10 years ago was half price for 65 & older.
They axed that and doubled the walk-up rate.

Bad news is Squaw killed the senior (65+) pass for next year that I have this year.
Good news is the IKON base pass (that adults of any age can buy) that I bought yesterday is a
better deal and is $80 less than this years senior pass !

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wachusett Mountain offers a Senior Bronze pass to seniors 65+ for $269, good non-holiday weekdays and all nights (weekend days and school vacation weekdays are blacked out). The regular Bronze pass is $279, so only a $10 savings here.

However, the Senior Gold pass is $329, with no restrictions; the regular Gold pass is $569 (a $240 savings).

There is a free, very active mountain-sponsored "Wachusett Old Timers (WOTS)" organization, and a large group of senior skiers at Wachusett every weekday.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stratton has the adult Ikon $899, adult Ikon Base $599, Stratton Select with 10 blackout days - adult is now $449 and the senior version is now $399.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Suspect the Vail Resorts anomaly with the Kirkwood senior season pass is that it predates them buying the resort that might cause some complaints by older local Kirkwood Meadows homeowners. That noted, expect it to also disappear, just like sleeping inside vehicles inside their parking lot and a ski season lasting through April.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa Fe mountain offers senior pass and senior ticket prices. Age 62 is $20 off the window ticket price and 72 and over is FREE.

Monarch mountain is free over 70 I think, which is really nice.

Our other "home" mountain in Winter Park; they offer $25 off for seniors over 70 which isn't saying much. The pass discount was nice but IKON put the Kibosh that.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
This is probably going to get me in trouble with many on this thread, but I don't see the logic from a business perspective in offering a huge discount to seniors other than "being nice." The rationale from a business sense for offering discounts for kids seems logical to encourage a next generation of skiers. Seniors are presumably already hooked on the sport and going to ski anyway. Seniors may also make more use of the season pass because of retirement, etc.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I just don't understand senior discounts for most goods and services.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Under 6 and 70+ is free at both Moose Mountain and Skiland in Fairbanks, Alaska.

In fact my Dad plans to be on the Ski Patrol for 2 more seasons until he reaches 70 and then "retire" and continue to ski but with less responsibilities.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
At least locally, where the median income ain't that great, and a hill that gets 50% of its business from locals, affordability is an issue. I'd say the vast majority here are not on any pension other than social security. If you're on a fixed income and at an age where taxes are going up and health care costs are going up, getting a break on something you can easily dispense with (unlike taxes, housing, food, and healthcare) keeps you trying to fit that into your budget just a little longer. And maybe the grandkids and the kids come to ski with Grandma and Grandpa since they are still at it.

The real deal here happens at age 70+. I know a ton of people with passes in that bracket who only ski less than a handful of days, you can see it in their vertical. But they pay for lockers and beers. And their family visits. And that family will drop way more than the price of a senior ticket in two days, let alone a visit over Christmas week.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
[

A Basin does a good deal for the 70+ seniors. currently unlimited, unrestricted skiing/riding at A-Basin for the entire 2017-18 season.for 105$.

This might be enough to get me to move my annual trek to the white stuff from SLC.

https://www.arapahoebasin.com/tickets-and-passes/season-passes/a-basin-senior-pass/
QUOTE="nay, post: 235348, member: 361"]Add that to Loveland and you have the perfect pass set for $204.[/QUOTE]

OK I now need a cheap place to stay for three weeks. Somewhere that has a kitchen. I guess Georgetown or Silverthorne Dillon would be best. Small and funky preferred but big and impersonal is OK.

Any recommendations?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
[

A Basin does a good deal for the 70+ seniors. currently unlimited, unrestricted skiing/riding at A-Basin for the entire 2017-18 season.for 105$.

This might be enough to get me to move my annual trek to the white stuff from SLC.

https://www.arapahoebasin.com/tickets-and-passes/season-passes/a-basin-senior-pass/
QUOTE="nay, post: 235348, member: 361"]Add that to Loveland and you have the perfect pass set for $204.

OK I now need a cheap place to stay for three weeks. Somewhere that has a kitchen. I guess Georgetown or Silverthorne Dillon would be best. Small and funky preferred but big and impersonal is OK.

Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

My recommendation is Whitefish where age 70+ is FREE. I just turned 70 and will be at Whitefish for a week or two before the Big Sky Gathering, staying in a truck camper with my dog.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
[

QUOTE="nay, post: 235348, member: 361"]Add that to Loveland and you have the perfect pass set for $204.

Any recommendations?

Look at AirBnB and VRBO in Georgetown. My sister-in-law is living in a AirBnB there while house searching. It’s a real community for a few weeks and Loveland après at Guanella Pass Brewery provides a locals hangout, if that matters.

Defiantly can check the small and funky box in g’town and it’s 10 mins to Luv.

A-Basin > Luv in terrain diversity
Luv > A-Basin in snow quality (always soft somewhere)

But I’d stay in Goergetown or Frisco depending on what you want. Georgetown is also a bit lower in elevation and is under 9K.

thewirewiz

Booting up
Skier
Bretton Woods in NH is $25 for seniors, 65 to 80. which is darn good. 80 and up ski free.

Cannon Mt is FREE for senior residents of NH 65 and older. Awesome for people on fixed income.

Two state senators, one from each party, put up a bill to remove this great deal about 2 years ago, while new gold leaf was being installed on the state capital dome during refurbishment. It did not pass.One of the senators was quoted in the press as saying that retired seniors had plenty of money, so the deal was a loss for the state that could be eliminated.

Keep your tips up.

Last edited:

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Big Sky gives seniors $100 off of a season pass of which there are many options, but not really a "senior pass."

There is also a deeply discounted (1/2 off the Senior rate) for skiers over 80. Big Sky, and many other resorts, provide additional variety in pricing which allow seniors and others options to save money and still ski everywhere they want to ski.