• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Gloves can be washed...very carefully on the delicate setting in the washer, then long drying at delicate or warm in the dryer, or on a separate glove dryer. Laundering out the old sweat and ski oil may help. Be ready for the gloves' linings to get inside out, and you have to poke each finger back into place. If they're worn, the lining stitching may come apart. Re-treat any leather parts after the washing. Re-waterproof the fabric parts. The washing can free up the insulation, but not as good as new.

If the gloves get stinky from old sweat or get hard to pull on & off when your hands get moist, try deodorant foot powder in the gloves. It works pretty well for stink and well for pull-on.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I received a response today from Hestra on the glove insulation question.

Thanks for contacting Hestra USA!
Insulation will pack out with repeated use, and the rate of that compression depends on many factors, from initial fit (tighter fitting gloves will pack out more quickly), to how tightly a skier grips a pole, to how frequently they are used and what material they are made of. There's no set rule for how quickly insulation packs out, but the more you use a pair of gloves (or boots for that matter), the faster the liners will pack out.
If you have a model with a removable liner, you can replace the liners when they pack out. If your gloves have a fixed liner, once they've packed out there isn't really anything you can do to refresh that layer of insulation, so you'd either want to retire that pair of gloves to warmer days, or add a tight-fitting baselayer liner (think socks for your hands) to help insulate a little better on the colder days.
We recommend having more than one pair of gloves to be better prepared for all types of weather conditions.
Regarding caring for our sport gloves, here's a little video that should prove helpful -
Best,
Dan from Hestra USA

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
BTW - Hestra also has a great warranty and stands behind their product. Supposedly, a fresh pair of Fall Lines are waiting for me at home (unfortunately, my VCF met an untimely end and have been discontinued).

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Gloves can be washed...very carefully on the delicate setting in the washer, then long drying at delicate or warm in the dryer, or on a separate glove dryer. Laundering out the old sweat and ski oil may help. Be ready for the gloves' linings to get inside out, and you have to poke each finger back into place. If they're worn, the lining stitching may come apart. Re-treat any leather parts after the washing. Re-waterproof the fabric parts. The washing can free up the insulation, but not as good as new.

If the gloves get stinky from old sweat or get hard to pull on & off when your hands get moist, try deodorant foot powder in the gloves. It works pretty well for stink and well for pull-on.

Don't underestimate the effect of perspiration salt in reducing the insulation properties of any glove technology.

Rinse them! Dry them! Then wear them again.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I swear by Mountain Hardwear Butter Glove Liners. I NEVER have cold or wet hands. They wick the moisture away. I wear them everyday.

n black

Booting up
Skier
Everybody's hands are different - take my experience vs that of my 18yr old son's: I have hands that don't perspire very much at all, but are very sensitive to the slightest bit of compression causing reduced circulation and therefore getting cold. Slip-on glove liners are totally counterproductive for me - even with the slight compression they give, my fingers get colder with them than without. Sweat control is not an issue for me. In contrast, I've actually have a pair of gloves that went from slightly too snug to nicely roomy from the insulation packing out a bit, and my hands stay warmer now. Obviously, when the insulation packs out too much, then they'll start getting colder again.

My son, otoh, has hands that sweat more, and his circulation is never an issue for him. Gloves that control moisture and have good insulation work best for him.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid