• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does Giro ship Googles with protective film? (Did I get B stock?)

soerenberg

Booting up
Skier
I just ordered a Giro Method google on Amazon to go with my new helmet for next season.
The reason for Amazon was mostly to find combination of google and lens which was hard to find. Vivid Emerald which I figured would be a good compromise.
When I received the Google I was surprised that there is no protective film on outside. While second lens in bag has film. Does a new Giro usually have a protective film?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the lens looks fine its fine.
All the googles I ever bought: from smith scott, bolle, film was only ever on the bonus lens.
Part of the reason is it needs to look good in the box on the shelf and ready to go.

James

Out There
Instructor
Never gotten a lens with film on the outside. Only the inside. Usually, always?, it’s a lens out of the goggle that has a film on the inside layer. It’s protection for the anti-fog layer, which you’re not supposed to touch. Outside you can wipe.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I don't recall any film on mine. However at the Gathering some guy sitting at the table with some other brand looks down and says "holy crap." Peels of the film on the outside of his goggles and says "that explains my vision over the past three days. Thought it was the altitude."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just ordered a Giro Method google on Amazon to go with my new helmet for next season.
The reason for Amazon was mostly to find combination of google and lens which was hard to find. Vivid Emerald which I figured would be a good compromise.
When I received the Google I was surprised that there is no protective film on outside. While second lens in bag has film. Does a new Giro usually have a protective film?
If there is a protective cover on them its usually on the inside of the lens not the outside.
That being said, not all manufacturers put a protective film on the goggle lens, but often do on the spare lenses because they are loose.
Also, when I pull a goggle out of the box its usually in a bag so that is probably the level of protection that they're using.
Also, being on Amazon, it may have been coming from a store that had some goggles on display.
I wouldn't worry about it if the lens is in good shape.

TS
S

soerenberg

Booting up
Skier
thanks. The lens has some imperfections, no film on the back. Front probably cleans out.

I think I need to figure out now whether I go the right lens. I decided for Emerald based on the VLT rating.
While it is a green lens, the image is pretty pink. Not sure if I will get used to it or how it will look on actual snow.

I found this to be best for VLT data:

Maybe Copper would be better from an image perspective. But hard to find (with black frame).

Sponsor

Staff online