Does anybody have experience with Glade goggles?

Discussion in 'Softgoods: Clothing, Helmets, Goggles, and More' started by RJS, Oct 2, 2018.

1. RJS

RJS Getting on the lift Skier

Good afternoon,

I just heard of a relatively new company called Glade that makes goggles, and I am curious if anybody here has any experience with them? It looks like their claim to fame is selling decent goggles at cheaper prices. I've seen good reviews for their Challenger goggle on Blister and Freeskier. I did a search on this site and couldn't find anything about Glade, so I figured I would post here because I value everybody's experiences here.

For context, I bought the Smith I/O 7 last season, and while the quality of the lens is excellent, I'm not that big a fan of the goggle itself. I've had problems with lens staying on, and more issues with fogging than I would have liked. I'm in the market for a new pair of goggles, and would love to not spend a whole lot (so that I can spend more money of lift tickets/travel :D).

2. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Whiteroom Pugski Sponsor

They aren't that much less than a corresponding model from Smith or Scott, in fact they cost more unless you pay MSRP. The Challenger is $89, The Smith Squad is the closest thing* in their line. It retails for $100, but is easy to find for 40-50% less than that... how is the Glade "cheaper"? I mean, if they are good and you like their style- go for it, but comparing pricing of a spheric lensed goggle like the I/O series to a cylindrical lensed goggle like the Glade is disingenuous.

*high-end lens coating on non-spheric lens

Tyson Rockwood and RJS like this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    RJS

I appreciate the help. I didn't realize that you could find a Smith Squad for 40-50% off, that seems like a good deal.

I don't know a whole lot about goggles, I wasn't trying to say that the Glade goggle was comparable to the Smith I/O, I was just saying that the reason that I am shopping for new goggles is that I'm not super happy with my I/O. In the Blister review for the Glade Challenger they mention that "for that price point, the Challenger has a very impressive feature set, including replaceable lenses and straps, polarized and photochromatic lens options, and a sleek, frameless silhouette" - I was taking this to mean that they are cheaper relative to the competition for their feature set, but perhaps this isn't really true?

4. headybrew

headybrew surrender to the flow Skier

Hey RJS did you ever purchase a pair of Glade goggles? If so please share your thoughts and experiences, they emailed me saying they'll have a decent Black Friday sale and I would love more info if you have it.

5. Thread Starter
    TS
    RJS

I purchased their goggles with the magnetic frames, and I am impressed so far. I've put 2 days on them, on one day I used the everyday lens, and the other I used the low light lens. They fit very nicely with my Pret helmet. The quality of the lenses is very good as far as I can tell. I've never had an easier time changing lenses. I also bought a case for them, which I haven't done for Goggles before, to protect them in my ski bag. That I would also recommend :).

6. headybrew

headybrew surrender to the flow Skier

Thanks for the update, I am going to give them a try too. I've had some expensive goggles that just didn't pan out and am thinking cheaper and replacing them more often is the way to go.

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    RJS

I think that's the way to go. $45-55 for additional lenses seems like a decent deal, so if a lens get too scratched, I'm just going to get another one. I had my third day of skiing yesterday with the everday lens and it worked out great. I changed lenses in the lodge before heading out, and it literally took five seconds with the magnetic lenses. I love it!

jmills115 likes this.
  8. BaconTowel

BaconTowel At the base lodge Skier

I did the same thing this year. Love these goggles! Magnet is incredible and been super happy with them overall.

RJS likes this.