• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you wear elbow/knee pads?

Do you wear knee and/or pads?

• All the time, up and down

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Only while lift or shuttle served riding

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Only for the down

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Only when trying new things or trails

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have them but forget them at home more often than I wear them.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a lot of thinking time on my very wet and slippery ride today, couple close slides and some near crashes while climbing slippery roots and I got to wondering. None of my riding friends wear pads and I rarely see any local riders wearing pads unless there is a race going on. I briefly looked around on here and on mtbr.com and it seems that maybe like helmet use and skiing, wearing pads in mountain biking might eventually become the norm?

As I'm still pretty new at riding mountain bikes, do you wear pads when riding? Or is is situational for you?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I always wear them lift-served. Rarely anywhere else. I'd like to have a decent pair that I could put on without taking off my shoes. Then maybe I'd whip them on at the top of a longer climb.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, but nothing I ride is that crazy. If the roots, rocks and logs are wet and slippery (except for an occasional spot), I don't go out. My wife who's leg skin is like tissue paper wears shin guards on the few occasions she rides in the woods.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I pad up anytime I'm doing anything beyond a slow ride to the store up the block for a few groceries. Anytime I'm going to be going faster than 15mph going down will do more damage than if simply jogging or hiking. So, padding up for that.. Same goes for skateboarding.. Little mellow hill around the corner, meh, no pads. Bigger hill around the other corner.. Yep, full pads and helmet.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I dont own any so no. Slippery roots sure can cause trouble. I am more concerned about breaking twisting falls.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never seen anyone wearing them locally. Most protection I've seen is a full face helmet...

I wouldn't mind some shin guards eventually. I'm just getting into single tracking with the wife. I just wear long socks right now and she wears pants...

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I started wearing POC VPD knee pads every ride about 5 months ago after 30 years of riding. Only used to pad up for DH lift served days. Since the Pandemic began I tend to ride the most tech trails around to stay away from the crowds. I also slammed my right knee one too many times this Spring and it was getting a bit creaky. As I read before, but never believed, you can get used to a decent pair and really not notice they are there after a while.

I've only slammed my knee once while wearing the pads and they really do work.

BTW, some of my most painful crashes have been while climbing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now there's an ad at the bottom of the page for Knee Pads you will forget you have on.

Knee Pads

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wore the whole set up when I did a DH 101 course several years ago, but that is the only time I wore knee pads or elbow pads.
I looked a whole lot more bad ass than I've ever been.
IMG_1365.jpeg

So, my answer would be either No or Just once.

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flawed poll.
Answer: no.
I knew I forgot something. Don't suppose I can change it and add a simple No option? This is what I get for posting late at night. Sorry.

I started wearing POC VPD knee pads every ride about 5 months ago after 30 years of riding. Only used to pad up for DH lift served days. Since the Pandemic began I tend to ride the most tech trails around to stay away from the crowds. I also slammed my right knee one too many times this Spring and it was getting a bit creaky. As I read before, but never believed, you can get used to a decent pair and really not notice they are there after a while.

I've only slammed my knee once while wearing the pads and they really do work.

BTW, some of my most painful crashes have been while climbing.

I have the same pads! I was on a trip to ride the only lift served bike park in Alaska and asked the people working at Powderhound Ski Shop for a set of light weight everyday pads and that's what they handed me. After how well they have taken care of me for boot fitting and various other things, I didn't even question or look at anything else. I have indeed gotten used to them and how light weight and comfy they are.

I guess my extended question that I wasn't able to articulate very well is for those of you who don't wear pads at all, what is your reasoning behind it?

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Trail weight knee and elbow pads sure take the sting out of stupid falls. I use the Leatt trail knee pads 80% of time (elbow pads less so).
I armor up like a medieval knight for DH (which I do frequently)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"Flawed Poll" because it doesn't include "It depends on the situation."

I already overheat easily on rides, so wearing lots of heavy armor is rough. Also, I have yet to find much protection that doesn't chafe my knees when pedaling. I don't wear gear while climbing if I can avoid it - I've gotten some nasty cuts and abrasions going uphill, but downhill involves so much more speed and momentum. Every climbing fall has been slow motion, and I can often catch them. On the descent, a lot of times I don't even perceive a moment between losing control and slamming into the ground. It feels instantaneous.

I always wear hard plastic elbow, shin + knee, and full face helmet when downhilling - I also have a neck brace, but I don't wear that much anymore because I'm not pushing myself the way I did a few years ago, so it feels silly (stupid reason not to wear it, though). I also had a full chest protector at one time, but now I wear the G-Form tee that has a little bit of padding on the shoulders and chest. I figure that my hydration pack will provide some protection if I fall on my back.

I've seen some nasty injuries on downhill, btw. One woman who grabbed the brakes after a little bit of air on an easy trail ... a guy who didn't wear a FF helmet on a black diamond trail at Trestle and broke his orbital socket ...

I always have G-Form elbow and shin pads with me on my rides (the knee pads don't work for me). They take almost no space in my pack. I rarely wear them, partly because I don't feel like taking off my shoes. But the other day, I rode my first real trail of the season. There's a descent that is just continuous jaw-chattering rock, from gravel to baby heads. I've ridden it many times and never been injured, but I had some jitters, so I wore the protection as a hedge. I think it gave me a little shot in the arm to allow me to ride fast enough that the rocks didn't totally mess me up.

On a related note, I wear men's baggies to ride. They seem to make a big difference when sliding on dirt and rock - I don't get the road rash that I'd get with bare skin or even spandex shorts. On me, they come down to just below the knee. I do not understand women's baggies, which are 1) not actually baggy and 2) expose most of the leg.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear hard shin knee and elbow forearm pads all the time.

Most of my falls are uphill in technical terrain.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I guess my extended question that I wasn't able to articulate very well is for those of you who don't wear pads at all, what is your reasoning behind it?

I just don't fall enough. I ride just about every day and about once a year I am wishing I had pads. Besides, there are a lot of places other than your knees where you can land, can't pad everything all the time, so I choose to pad nothing most of the time.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just don't fall enough. I ride just about every day and about once a year I am wishing I had pads. Besides, there are a lot of places other than your knees where you can land, can't pad everything all the time, so I choose to pad nothing most of the time.
This same line of thinking is valid for skiing with/without a helmet as well.. Still summer! :duck:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, but a little bit of knee skin is nothing compared to dain bramage. Also, pads do zero to protect ligaments, etc...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yeah, but a little bit of knee skin is nothing compared to dain bramage. Also, pads do zero to protect ligaments, etc...
There's no patrol likely to pass by and help you get down the rest of the way if you break a patella.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's no patrol likely to pass by and help you get down the rest of the way if you break a patella.

Where I ride, there are plenty of people zipping by all the time - if I'm riding in a more remote area, I only ride with a partner and/or much more conservatively. Almost everywhere has cell service.

Where I ski (preferably trees), there aren't always a whole lot of other people around.