• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whaaaat? What kind of question is that? It implies you even let your skis touch a green run at all.

I don't let my skis get within sniffing distance of a green run. If the only access to where I need to get is a green run, I take off my skis and walk it.

Once when I was at an unfamiliar resort, I found I had accidentally skied part of a green run. Thought about giving away that pair of skis at that point, but ended up deciding to just give them a thorough base grind instead. They still haven't skied the same way since though.
Ah, the shame of ski a green run. How do you live with yourself?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't need no stinking binding. A few bugle head dry wall screw through the ski base works every time. Just make sure the heads are driven flush to maximize glide. Extra bonus points for waxing over the screw heads.
Whaaaat? What kind of question is that? It implies you even let your skis touch a green run at all.

I don't let my skis get within sniffing distance of a green run. If the only access to where I need to get is a green run, I take off my skis and walk it.

Once when I was at an unfamiliar resort, I found I had accidentally skied part of a green run. Thought about giving away that pair of skis at that point, but ended up deciding to just give them a thorough base grind instead. They still haven't skied the same way since though.
:roflmao:
You two are killing me!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
My rule of thumb with any skis is to avoid the runs with beginner/inexperienced skiers. Have seen more accidents as a result of skiers skiing beyond their ability crashing in to others. Also if I had a nickel for every time someone skied over my skis on a green run I would own several more pairs of skis. First run with new skis is never over the top gnarly for the first few turns, but once I'm comfortable with how the skis perform …. :daffy::yeah:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
At my home mountain, there are a few runs I've grown accustomed to using as "benchmark" runs. It's where I take my 1st turns of each season and where I usually try out new gear for the 1st time.

If I'm not at my home mountain, then all bets are off & I just go for it.

dovski

Skier
At my home mountain, there are a few runs I've grown accustomed to using as "benchmark" runs. It's where I take my 1st turns of each season and where I usually try out new gear for the 1st time.

If I'm not at my home mountain, then all bets are off & I just go for it.
What is your home mountain?

dovski

Skier
I actually have two: primary is Mt Bachelor, Hoodoo is my other. It just depends on the snow & weather.
Nice, I am at Mt Bachelor with the fam in a little over 2 weeks. Will be testing out my new Stockli SR95 if the snow base is good if not will use my Enforcer 93s aka my rock skis - do not want to ski new skis in rocky conditions

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd probably wait until there was enough snow on it so it was white instead of green. I have skied hills where the grass blades were still sticking up above the 2"-3" of snow on the hill.. but not with new skis.

On the serious side some places require skiing a green trail or connector to get to the lift that goes up to steeper terrain.. So, you may have no choice but to ski a green trail or part of one first at some resorts..

Sponsor

Staff online