• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll take them on a groomer for first run but I don't look for easy terrain. My first run on my last new pair was Cascade at Killington. The next 3 or so runs were on Big Dipper to shake them out in the terrain I like to ski, rocks and roots be damned. :ogcool:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No. Unless the first place I'm using the new ski is a day trip to the Poconos (actually a little further north closer to western (Bingington) NY to ELK MT in Pennsylvania's "endless mountains" region), in which case despite what they'd like to have us believe, all of the runs are green circles.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Wow-you must be a stud skier. No greens, don’t buckle your boots. Do you click into the bindings or do you just balance on the top-sheets? Lol
Bindings.. not sure what you mean? I thought that you're just supposed to lag the toe lugs directly to the ski! Isn't that what the extra plastic on the front and back of the boot is for?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
During ski testing, we typically take the gondola, which is downhill of the greenest of greens at Snowbasin from where the tents are. I have gotten to the bottom and gotten on the beginner chair back to the tents just once on a pair of skis that I could tell were going to take ME for a wild ride in the conditions that day. I've definitely taken some runs from the top (it's a long way down) on terrain I am very familiar with and done some survival skiing. Sometimes due to tunes, sometimes due to a ski just being more than I can handle. It's a really good way to sort the wheat from the chafe for me.

There's nothing wrong with skiing a green on skis you aren't familiar with. It's a great way to get a feel for the skis. Enjoy your new Renouns!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fwiw, the fastest section on the Lauberhorn downhill at Wengen is basically a green run when not racing at 80-90+ mph. (record is 100)
Good call! Something the network sportscasters love pointing out. It's relatively flat only they carry so much speed going in and hold an aerodynamic tuck throughout because it is so non-technical, that their top speeds are reached.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Green run :huh: hell yeah. They are the best runs around my ways , that and the blues at least they have some structure. What better way to feel them out.
@Scrundy, the so-called designated Greens and Blues around our ways are downright treacherous requiring one to dodge both slow and fast-moving out of control human projectiles coming from every which way imaginable and then some often with their skis either 20' behind them or about to boomerang us, as well as having to make the one or two sweeping 90º - 180º turn of the trail on scraped off from high traffic bulletproof ice! I don't know how they do it:huh:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Scrundy, the so-called designated Greens and Blues around our ways are downright treacherous requiring one to dodge both slow and fast-moving out of control human projectiles coming from every which way imaginable and then some often with their skis either 20' behind them or about to boomerang us, as well as having to make the one or two sweeping 90º - 180º turn of the trail on scraped off from high traffic bulletproof ice! I don't know how they do it:huh:

Hear you, I try real real hard to ski on off peak hours. Nights and early am for me generally I do not like to ski when crowded. At least not for my style of skiing, consider myself kind of a playful charger. You’ll find me skiing blues and green most often, beating the edges at speed. You’ll find me on blacks when the crowd takes over but don’t enjoy them much. To me at least, the blues and greens have to most varying terrain in the northeast.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My very first "new" pair of skis that I bought with my own money, Pre 1200 SP from The Warming Hut in Allentown Pa. I still remember my first day early season first run on them at Big Boulder. BAM, there goes the sidewall.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Do you take your new car to an empty parking lot to test it out? Probably not

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow-you must be a stud skier. No greens, don’t buckle your boots. Do you click into the bindings or do you just balance on the top-sheets? Lol

I don't need no stinking binding. A few bugle head dry wall screw through the ski base works every time. Just make sure the heads are driven flush to maximize glide. Extra bonus points for waxing over the screw heads.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you take your new car to an empty parking lot to test it out? Probably not

Actually, that's not a bad idea: to get things all adjusted (seats and mirrors), and familiarize yourself with all the new tech and software - darn cars are getting more complicated every day. Then you can smear rubber all over the place as your leaving the lot.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
On demo days, my preference is to try new skis on the same run. Especially if there are several pairs to test, like on a big public demo days.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Whaaaat? What kind of question is that? It implies you even let your skis touch a green run at all.

I don't let my skis get within sniffing distance of a green run. If the only access to where I need to get is a green run, I take off my skis and walk it.

Once when I was at an unfamiliar resort, I found I had accidentally skied part of a green run. Thought about giving away that pair of skis at that point, but ended up deciding to just give them a thorough base grind instead. They still haven't skied the same way since though.