• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
if the skis are a radical departure from anything I've ever been on before
That's the issue for me: I really like the idea of the "Shock Stopper" non-Newtonian polymer damping, but as with everyone else other than @Philpug and the other testers of the prototypes, I have taken a leap of faith and have NO idea what they'll feel like underfoot!!!

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nope.

I wouldn't drop into something that's above my normal comfort level on the very first run. But otherwise, I'd just ski them. I don't seek out a green run to warm up on a normal ski day, I see no need to just because I'm on brand new skis. When I go to a demo day, I'm on brand new skis every few runs, but I don't do a single green run all day. That's what works for me, but you do you, right? If you're more comfortable getting to know the skis that way, go for it and have fun.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I honestly do not look at signs. I just look at the snow and terrain and say hey that looks like fun. Yeah, it doesnt always turns out great lol

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It will be a very sad day. Might seriously consider hanging up my skis. Or maybe I'll just start buckling my boots.

Wow! I'm laying down a bet right now that says, assuming you gradually fade into the post-golden years (no acute/catastrophic, paralyzing injury) , that you will continue to ski even if it means green runs only on sunny warm days, focusing on the minutia of technique. I find it rewarding!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! I'm laying down a bet right now that says, assuming you gradually fade into the post-golden years (no acute/catastrophic, paralyzing injury) , that you will continue to ski even if it means green runs only on sunny warm days, focusing on the minutia of technique. I find it rewarding!

Yeah, you are probably right. But I'll bet you my mind will turn to jello before that. So it'll be a moot point anyway. :beercheer:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This time of year,? Ski where there's snow.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington or MRG some of the green slopes are good bump runs. If we talking about fun green trails? Yes

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I'll take them on a green run to get a idea of how they feel. In fact, our home hill has a nice 2 mile green run with decent pitch that, unless it's a very rare powder day, I'll always take as a warmup in the morning.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is a gravity sport- Point them down the hill, the skis sure don't know where they are going and who cares what color the trail is.. JUST SKI and HAVE FUN

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I think everyone is hung up on "green run". I read the op more as do you shake down run new gear or just send it? And absolutely you should shake down new skis, IMO. Run some drills get their feel, push them, get used to them, then go send it.

I got a double whammy today, new boots and new skis. Separately (tried and true skis 1st) then together, new Enforcer 88's. And green is all I got here early season NC so ya take what ya get!

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
When I am skiing new skis, the first run is the one that is my favorite and most familiar to me. (assuming I am at my "home resort".) I know the terrain on the run, the feel of it; therefore I can sense the new skis on the old run , instantly receiving the feedback which I am seeking. My favorite run is not a green one, but one that skis to me as comfortably as the fit of a well-worn tennis shoe.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
No green runs for me with new skis. I'm anxious to try them out on the runs I bought them for. To each their own though.

Sponsor