• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
No the last couple times I took new skis that I had bought, out for skiing, :ogcool: it was just like it was before, maybe from the beginning. No not green, not blue, not black, nor red, nor brown, nor purple, or orange...da..di.da di da. No from the beginning I always took my new skies out into WHITE. And now that you mention it, green was always areas where green conifers are growing that are immobile so the creature brain quickly stayed away instead enjoying the happiness within white crystalline water.

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Most times I like to take new skis in the 65-100 mm range out on a smooth groomed slope for the first run in order to assess the tune and turn shape, before heading off into the wilds for fun.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes.
My last , probably 5 new pairs , l go right down Main Street at Mammoth, hug the netting guarding the half pipe and make as many short radius slalom turns , no matter the waist or type, stop halfway down and think about’em.
Every time.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
The first run on my new skis will most definitely be on a green run, and before I've gone very far down the run, I will do a javelin spin or some such free-dogger nonsense, 'cause that's sorta what I bought them for in the first place.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Almost every run I make is a fresh green run on new skis or old. Green up on the way up.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
70663081_10217458504286358_6229613839646720_n.jpg

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't pay any attention to blue or green. I don't even know what they mean.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I generally start out on a groomed intermediate terrain. I do the same thing when I am at a demo day.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, so I received my RENOUN Atlas' last night and got the bindings mounted this morning, which gave me enough time to do about 5 runs before I had to come back home for an appointment. As you will see from the photo, they are the 90cm Atlas' (actually really they're the 170's, but the foreshortening of the selfie makes them look like 90's), attached to moi in my retro one-piece (eat your heart out @Wasatchman :).

So I did take them down the green run to the blue lifts on their first outing, and didn't much like them. I then took them up on @kimberlin's old tennis shoe run, her
favorite run is not a green one, but one that skis to me as comfortably as the fit of a well-worn tennis shoe
and since I often ski with her, I knew what that was - a long easy groomed blue with only a couple of steep pitches. I was a bit underwhelmed but admittedly I skied it a bit more conservatively than we usually do. Well, this wasn't too magic although @KingGrump had predicted accurately what they would feel like
I betcha they feel like skis. :ogbiggrin:

It was at this juncture that I spotted a potential major problem with the skis: the top skin graphics didn't line up: if I switched the skis around, the fancy flashes of red lines would seem to flow from right ski to left ski as per the later photo. Had I offended the RENOUN gods? I switched them anyway, so that I would look a fraction more cool, notwithstanding my retro one piece, and my Dynastar poles from 1982 (BTW, contrary to what you might believe from the photo, I am not in fact pregnant, but I did stuff a hat into said suit 'cos it was too warm to wear.)
IMG_0894.JPG

With an apology to the aforesaid gods, I took them to the top of the mountain, and pointed them down the steep groomers up there, engaged the afterburners, and skied the fall line. WHOO-(beeping)-HOO!!!! - together with various NSFW exclamations - now we're talking! I transitioned from underwhelmed to an absolute minimum of whelmed ... I managed to do a couple more runs at speed but then, wouldn't you know it, I had to foreshorten my day and go back home to meet the HVAC guy. Methinks these skies are made to be hammered down the runs, and I promise the RENOUN Gods that I will not mistreat them again by skiing them anything other than they deserve :D .

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No the last couple times I took new skis that I had bought, out for skiing, :ogcool: it was just like it was before, maybe from the beginning. No not green, not blue, not black, nor red, nor brown, nor purple, or orange...da..di.da di da. No from the beginning I always took my new skies out into WHITE. And now that you mention it, green was always areas where green conifers are growing that are immobile so the creature brain quickly stayed away instead enjoying the happiness within white crystalline water.

That was my answer as well, sort of..

I'd probably wait until there was enough snow on it so it was white instead of green. I have skied hills where the grass blades were still sticking up above the 2"-3" of snow on the hill.. but not with new skis.

On the serious side some places require skiing a green trail or connector to get to the lift that goes up to steeper terrain.. So, you may have no choice but to ski a green trail or part of one first at some resorts..

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Fwiw, the fastest section on the Lauberhorn downhill at Wengen is basically a green run when not racing at 80-90+ mph. (record is 100)
Exactly! It's also nice and green in the summer and a very nice stroll in the mountains....;)

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I posted a semi-joking post in the Arizona/Four Corners thread about my intention to take my brand new RENOUN Atlas's on Snowbowl's beginner green run on their first outing (they're on the way, excitement, excitement, I got the email from RENOUN ogsmileogsmileogsmile). Now while @Cyrus Schenck will probably want to recall the skis from UPS in horror at that thought, it made me wonder - how many take their new skis down a green for their first ever run? My thinking is that I'm expecting RENOUN's to feel different (although likely much better and more stable) but I don't want to hammer them down a steep run and potentially go A upon T on the first run until I have a some sort of feel for what they feel like. Am I a complete woosie? (Ok, I know the real answer to that ....)
I mostly approach it the same way but depending on the skis, sometimes you just gotta get ' em up to a speed were they really work!

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
sometimes you just gotta get ' em up to a speed were they really work!
Yep, clearly I should have paid more attention to the Renoun website and @Cyrus Schenck's descriptions - the Atlas's clearly come into their own when pushed down the slopes - at low speeds they just seemed "blah" or more accurately nothing special. Can't wait to give them a full day's skiing after doing those last high speed runs! :)

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Ok, so I received my RENOUN Atlas' last night and got the bindings mounted this morning, which gave me enough time to do about 5 runs before I had to come back home for an appointment. As you will see from the photo, they are the 90cm Atlas' (actually really they're the 170's, but the foreshortening of the selfie makes them look like 90's), attached to moi in my retro one-piece (eat your heart out @Wasatchman :).

So I did take them down the green run to the blue lifts on their first outing, and didn't much like them. I then took them up on @kimberlin's old tennis shoe run, her

and since I often ski with her, I knew what that was - a long easy groomed blue with only a couple of steep pitches. I was a bit underwhelmed but admittedly I skied it a bit more conservatively than we usually do. Well, this wasn't too magic although @KingGrump had predicted accurately what they would feel like

It was at this juncture that I spotted a potential major problem with the skis: the top skin graphics didn't line up: if I switched the skis around, the fancy flashes of red lines would seem to flow from right ski to left ski as per the later photo. Had I offended the RENOUN gods? I switched them anyway, so that I would look a fraction more cool, notwithstanding my retro one piece, and my Dynastar poles from 1982 (BTW, contrary to what you might believe from the photo, I am not in fact pregnant, but I did stuff a hat into said suit 'cos it was too warm to wear.) View attachment 87242 .

With an apology to the aforesaid gods, I took them to the top of the mountain, and pointed them down the steep groomers up there, engaged the afterburners, and skied the fall line. WHOO-(beeping)-HOO!!!! - together with various NSFW exclamations - now we're talking! I transitioned from underwhelmed to an absolute minimum of whelmed ... I managed to do a couple more runs at speed but then, wouldn't you know it, I had to foreshorten my day and go back home to meet the HVAC guy. Methinks these skies are made to be hammered down the runs, and I promise the RENOUN Gods that I will not mistreat them again by skiing them anything other than they deserve :D .
Buahaha Love it!!!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow-you must be a stud skier. No greens, don’t buckle your boots. Do you click into the bindings or do you just balance on the top-sheets? Lol
At the top of a lift at JHMR-
Me: Don't forget to buckle your boots.
@KingGrump: Why? I'm skiing with you guys.
Me:

Sponsor

Staff online