• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you take your brand new skis down a green run for the first ever run?

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I posted a semi-joking post in the Arizona/Four Corners thread about my intention to take my brand new RENOUN Atlas's on Snowbowl's beginner green run on their first outing (they're on the way, excitement, excitement, I got the email from RENOUN ogsmileogsmileogsmile). Now while @Cyrus Schenck will probably want to recall the skis from UPS in horror at that thought, it made me wonder - how many take their new skis down a green for their first ever run? My thinking is that I'm expecting RENOUN's to feel different (although likely much better and more stable) but I don't want to hammer them down a steep run and potentially go A upon T on the first run until I have a some sort of feel for what they feel like. Am I a complete woosie? (Ok, I know the real answer to that ....)

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Green run :huh: hell yeah. They are the best runs around my ways , that and the blues at least they have some structure. What better way to feel them out.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wrote at the beginning "I don't want to hammer them down a steep run and potentially go A upon T on the first run until I have a some sort of feel for what they feel like" and perhaps I should add "I DO want to hammer them down a steep run and could even go A upon T on the second run!!!" ;)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be happy to break in your new Atlas’s for you, saving you from the anguish of deciding whIch run to take them out on first. You‘re welcome.

I make no promises about what terrain I will choose (insert bwah ha ha emoji).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously, I do not seek out green runs, ever. I'll ski it if it connects where I am to where I want to go.

New ski, new mountain, new day, usually couple of groomers. Don't usually paid much attention to the rating of a trail. We usually just look up the hill, decide which section we wanted to ski and just roam from there.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm no expert but I'm superstitious and most always do a first run with a green.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I posted a semi-joking post in the Arizona/Four Corners thread about my intention to take my brand new RENOUN Atlas's on Snowbowl's beginner green run on their first outing (they're on the way, excitement, excitement, I got the email from RENOUN ogsmileogsmileogsmile). Now while @Cyrus Schenck will probably want to recall the skis from UPS in horror at that thought, it made me wonder - how many take their new skis down a green for their first ever run? My thinking is that I'm expecting RENOUN's to feel different (although likely much better and more stable) but I don't want to hammer them down a steep run and potentially go A upon T on the first run until I have a some sort of feel for what they feel like. Am I a complete woosie? (Ok, I know the real answer to that ....)

When I am demoing skis I got down this slope first. It really separates the good skis from the bad :roflmao: , really quickly :roflmao: Great place to judge the tune as well.

74886498_10217874492026823_2603921719605329920_o.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Fwiw, the fastest section on the Lauberhorn downhill at Wengen is basically a green run when not racing at 80-90+ mph. (record is 100)

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fwiw, the fastest section on the Lauberhorn downhill at Wengen is basically a green run when not racing at 80-90+ mph. (record is 100)
Well I would imagine I've done that since I've skied Wengen and Kleine Scheidig a few times - but at my age I can't remember the names of last week's runs, let alone some European runs that I haven't skied for 8+ years ...

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seriously, I do not seek out green runs, ever. ......

Never say ever.

I wouldn't necessarily seek out a green, but I definitely wouldn't throw brand new skis at something challenging enough to compromise my ability to easily evaluate the new gear for the first runs. Let's just compromise and say a blue is perfectly acceptable; if the skis are a radical departure from anything I've ever been on before, or superficially seems to be more of a charger that I could have skied blindfolded 20 years ago, I'm not so proud that I wouldn't test it on a green.

Last edited: