• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
My deepest powder day at Steamboat now probably 25 years ago I skied on Olin DX's (the red ones) I think they were like 68-69 underfoot ,205 cm. Came down Storm Peak in what was reported as 22 inches and had snow billowing up over my shoulders.

It was an unbelievable experience I never have forgotten and unfortunately never repeated. About 8-10 years ago I bought a pair of 131 waisted powder skis from an Indy mfg out of Utah. Forgot the name now their popular ski was named Maestro. Anyway my skis were great in powder but complete banana peel saucers out of powder.

When I would stop it felt like I was standing on a carpet somebody was pulling out from underneath me.

Took them to a tuner to get ground flat but they were too wide for the machine. Have a pair of 107 Chams but unfortunately have probably only skied them 20 days and 10 of those I could have been on my "regular skis". Powder for the vacationing skier is unfortunately too seldom.

Bluehouse. I'm pretty sure @Freaq had a pair of Bluehouse that worked pretty well; I had a pair of MR2 that were...too soft for much of anything outside the park.

Heh, too funny. Not only did I have a pair of Bluehouse (I've had five) but I still have the very pair that @Roundturns :wave: sold me many years ago. They're called Mavens and they're 138 under foot I think. I've had some super good days on 'em and a couple of days I took 'em back to the car right quick. They still have that banana peel saucer feel.... it's fun! They make CO chowder ski so dang smooth:yahoo:

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heh, too funny. Not only did I have a pair of Bluehouse (I've had five) but I still have the very pair that @Roundturns :wave: sold me many years ago. They're called Mavens and they're 138 under foot I think. I've had some super good days on 'em and a couple of days I took 'em back to the car right quick. They still have that banana peel saucer feel.... it's fun! They make CO chowder ski so dang smooth:yahoo:
That's right Bump Freaq took them off my hands. Blue house even had a video of a guy waterskiing on the Mavens. They definitely were scary squirrely out of the powder . Glad you had some fun times on those skis.
I still watch in awe skiing the front side of Vail and see somebody arcing high speed gs turns down Riva- Tourst Trap with the tip flapping super wide rockered skis. All about the pilot for sure.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After 223 posts on "do you really need a wide ski for powder" is it time to start a new thread titled "do you really need powder for a wide ski"?

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

I like where this is going... :D

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My old powder skis - Dynamic VR27 Geant 210 - also my old GS racing skis;)
View attachment 56409
I had the same skis in a 201 or 203???

I was working for a ski tour bus company at the time, and skied Mt Snow, and Stratton in VT every weekend.

Anyway, somehow, I actually bent them (best the the first 1/3 somehow) and Dynamic refused to replace them. I don't recall hitting anything, just remember a sudden sharp turn... I fought with Dynamic for a few months and in the end the only options they gave me was:

1. We will send you a used ski to replace the bent one.

2. Keep the bent ski, and hang it over your fireplace for all we care..

... was the last Dynamic purchase I ever made.

Sponsor