• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you own two similar skis that are completely different?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We define categorize skis by the numbers but while the numbers are a reference they can no way define the ski. We can have two skis that have very similar dimensions yet are so completely different that they can actually coexist in the same quiver. Example: A Blizzard Latigo and Head Rally are both 76-78mm underfoot yet feel so different on the snow that we could make an argument that they could be next to each other on our ski rack in the garage. Another example, Rossignol Experience 100 next to an Enforcer or Mantra. Anyone have a quiver like this?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yep - one's my left ski and one's my right ski. The tip bashing marks make them obviously different plus my sweet stickering scheme.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think people focus to much on waist width when building quivers. I have a head Magnum (80) and a Stockli AX (78). I also have a Stockli SX 23m (68) and a Fischer GS 23m (65). I refuse to apologize. They ski differently.

I'll probably extend my defiance to adding a less slalomy 100 to my Mantras (100).

My quiver 's a little like the buddy system. I want my skis to have friends.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I don't, yet.

But I'm sorely tempted to pick up one of the last pairs of 2014 Nordica Wildfires in 178 for touring skis to match my 2014 El Capo in 178 for inbounds chop.

Are the Wildfires noticeably softer than the Vagabonds? I know they use a slightly different core to keep weight down. I'm not against skiing "women's" skis.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have 170cm 63mm waisted slalom skis and 178cm 80mm waisted "all-mountain" skis. The reality is, I mostly ski eastern stuff and even when I go west, I haven't had huge powder days very often. So I went with what works for my skiing. I have no idea what the newish 110mm skis are like or even if they're worthwhile for groomed stuff. I personally love the 63mm skis..they're rocketships when carving hard..it's so easy to get edge to edge and have so much power in them when they release their energy.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
The Monster 88 and the Ikonic 85. Some days I like to charge a little, other days be more playful.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Kästle 173 FX85 and 173 MX83.

I used to own a Blizzard Crush and Blizzard Bonafide at the same time, both 98 underfoot, but otherwise...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bump ski versus a GS or SL ski.. Similar dimensions, even similar turning radius, but the bump ski has a softer shovel, not as much hold on a high G larger radius turn, but lighter and more nimble in the ruts..

Andy Carey

3,000 feet below Paradise, Mt. Rainier
Skier
177 cm Movement Shift (137-98-125, 6 lbs 12 oz) and 180 cm Voile Vector BC (121-96-110, 7 lbs, waxless base); both nice, totally different. I replaced my Volkl Nanuqs with the Shifts, dimension almost exactly the same, but the Nanuq was a hard charger, long radius, stiff ski and the Shifts more versatile.

Sponsor

Staff online