• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Curious if y'all have a specific watch that you use for skiing that actually helps you in ways other than just telling you the time.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Samsung smart watch. Does everything my phone does. I also run the rossignol ski app from my watch. I use the hell out of it when i'm skiing because rather than grab my phone, I just peek at all notifications on my watch. I also control my music playing through my skii helmet from it.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vertech Altimiter watch. Tracks vertical and gives max vertical/minute between resets.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I used to have a Timex "Skiathlom" (yes, that's how It was spelled) digital watch, the most notable thing about that IMO was the large buttons on the face that you could push with ski gloves on. They still pop-up on eBay from time to time (no pun intended)… I also had a Suunto altimeter watch, but the band gave out and I never could find a replacement. Now it's the phone with "Winter Sports Tracker" in my Windows Phone days, and some app for my new Google phone that I haven't used yet... Plus, the EpicSki app on the phone when I'm at a Vail-owned resort.

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
I have a Suunto Ambit 3 that has a tonne of info/data you can get from it. Eg. Vert distance, actual physical distance travelled on runs, distance on lifts, total distance, number of runs, Max & average speeds for individual runs or over the whole day, ascending /descending time, heart rate, avg heart rate per run or whole day. And a heap of sport science training info like EPOC, Vo2 Max, etc.

You can download "apps" to it that other users have created that give you basically any data you want. Or you can easily create them yourself on their website if you could be bothered.

AT the end of the day I don't really have any use for the info other than my own geeky self interest. Mostly the distance I cover in a day.

I actually find some of the free apps for your phone of more use, eg. Snowzat. They give me info on Vert, distance and runs as well as showing me where all my friends and family are on the mountain in real time. Handy with kids and a way to get me jealous when I'm stuck in the office and they're on the mountain.

I wouldn't bother getting a watch just for skiing, unless you're using it for multiple sports.

Give the phone apps a try and save yourself a few hundred $$$.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I use my Polar V800 for skiing the way I use it for every other sport I do (except for ice hockey where I like it too much to let it crash :D), just setting skiing (one for alpine, one for skating xc, one for classic xc and one for ski touring) profile and all the data I need, or actually are nice to have but could easily live without, are there :)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I must need a new watch; mine doesn't tell me anything I have to read it!

Me too!! Freestyle stainless steel with a face, not digital! I had a Timex ski watch too. It's in a drawer, not sure if it works. I remember having a problem after a battery change. It was great when I was teaching, as you could wear it on the outside of your jacket. Had to be back at the bell on the hour!!

pjs32000

Booting up
Skier
I've actually just been wanting a cheap, simple watch for telling time, that I can access without having to reach into a pocket or pulling off a glove. I'm yet to find a good solution. My initial idea was to find something with a clip that I could clip to a zipper pull or backpack strap for easy access, but I couldn't find any that looked like they'd work well.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use a Fitbit Ionic and record my skiing using the bike excecise which is then auto uploaded to Strava and then I go change the name and type manually. Primarily because I want a GPS track and it needs to upload to Strava, the fitbit app store ski tracking app Alpine Snow does not produce a GPS track or upload to Strava. I've been using a fitbit for a couple of years and don't really want to leave their little eco system. Also there was a pretty good price difference between the Ionic and the Garmin Fenix 5 I was also considering.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I just press the buttons on my odt chips in my earpads and ask Google what time it is, or to send a message, or to make a call. I haven't owned a watch since I started carrying a phone full time

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Garmin Vivoactive w/ the Ski Tracker app.......pretty much just use it to tell me my top speed at the end of the day :ogcool:

Yeah, I use a Vivoactive as well, I use the built-in ski tracking though, it all uploads to Garmin Connect or Strava, and I use the live tracking too.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've actually just been wanting a cheap, simple watch for telling time, that I can access without having to reach into a pocket or pulling off a glove. I'm yet to find a good solution. My initial idea was to find something with a clip that I could clip to a zipper pull or backpack strap for easy access, but I couldn't find any that looked like they'd work well.

I used to pick up one of these each year before I started wearing an Apple watch. I clipped it to my belt loop and it worked great when coaching and I needed to keep track of time but didn't want to pull out my phone constantly.

18767bd1cff81a35c0305ae21b9cea87--container-store-the-container.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor

Staff online