• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do we talk about edge release enough?

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of the kids in the program I work for seem to struggle to release/de-edge their skis at the end of the turn without making a gross movement that then rushes the top of the next turn. I'm putting together some things for our coaches to use to develop a smoother, more controlled release.

My question to other coaches or instructors here is; what have you used in this situation? Your go to drills? Terrain based ideas?

Would love to hear from the SkiTalk SuperBrain.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Not sure how this would work but......float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Something from the old straight days. At the end of the turn, lighten up (float), then set the edge (sting)

This comes from our CSIA WIS...At the end of the turn, start to ski across, but with little jumps x 3. After the last jump, edge. We called it Boom, boom Lulu, after one of the ladies. The little jumps make you release, not edge and reset balance. After the last jump, your balance is spot on, you tip the skis and go.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of the kids in the program I work for seem to struggle to release/de-edge their skis at the end of the turn without making a gross movement that then rushes the top of the next turn. I'm putting together some things for our coaches to use to develop a smoother, more controlled release.

My question to other coaches or instructors here is; what have you used in this situation? Your go to drills? Terrain based ideas?

Would love to hear from the SkiTalk SuperBrain.

Have you checked their base bevels?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to utilize first hockey stops, then finessing it so there is less and less of a forceful sudden movement, rather a more gradual engagement and release, to the point of not completely stopping, simply a definite slow side slip to an almost-stop-but-not-quite and back to side slip. Several repeats, switch sides, repeat. What is the least amount of movement and edge angle needed to stop/almost stop? Who can do it the slowest while still moving downhill?

Also pivot slips, on blue terrain is easiest but then alternating between green terrain and black terrain.

"Tokyo Drift" turns, where you're playing with drifting at the start, or middle, or end of turns.

Also also, flexing just a little more at apex and after apex of each turn, which allows more control to reshape or adjust the end of the turn and helps to avoid "locked in" edges.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
There are multiple types of releases. Is there a specific one that has been taught to the kids?

I did a bunch of static release drills for years working on the different releases. In the end what they really were about was learning how to truly balance on skis and not be so dependent on the momentum of the turn (i.e. speed) to keep me upright.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
There are multiple types of releases. Is there a specific one that has been taught to the kids?

I did a bunch of static release drills for years working on the different releases. In the end what they really were about was learning how to truly balance on skis and not be so dependent on the momentum of the turn (i.e. speed) to keep me upright.
I am learning that truly balancing on skis is hard!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am learning that truly balancing on skis is hard!

Here is an example of working on a one-footed release from a static start. I post this only to show one drill that can be used to help learn how to release this skis using this method. This is from quite some time ago and nSkier does not execute it perfectly correctly, but it's good to show just how challenging it is to perform a release without the benefit of momentum in a ski turn. This seriously challenges your balance.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here is an example of working on a one-footed release from a static start. I post this only to show one drill that can be used to help learn how to release this skis using this method. This is from quite some time ago and nSkier does not execute it perfectly correctly, but it's good to show just how challenging it is to perform a release without the benefit of momentum in a ski turn. This seriously challenges your balance.

I am assuming the goal is to travel straight down the fall line rather than travel across the hill?

Got more videos of static releases? This is great stuff.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am assuming the goal is to travel straight down the fall line rather than travel across the hill?

Got more videos of static releases? This is great stuff.

The goal is to initiate the release by using the new "inside" ski, via lift and tip (in these static drills it is the downhill ski, aka the old outside ski). You must maintain balance and NOT fall to the inside immediately or you will fail. The main assessment criteria is whether the release and subsequent turn is initiated and followed by tipping (and more tipping) rather than a "flat pivot". It's really easy to get stuck and "juice" the turn by using pelvis rotation to get the skis to come around. That is also a fail for this exercise. You can see in that first video where nSkier does get a stuck a few times and juices them to get the skis into the fall line.

Here he is doing a two-footed release:

This was over 5 years ago. He really stuck with the drills practice and documented his entire progression on his channel. Here is what can happen if you have great coaching with lots of video feedback:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sideslips. Amazing how many people are unable to do this well.

Static releases.
Yes. I had a class last weekend, and none of them could let go of their edges and sideslip down the hill. It took quite a bit of work to get them to a point they could slide sideways easily

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kids as in <10-12? Racing or all mountain? Older kids, you can do pivot slips, but if they are on the younger side, static movements suggested about will be very difficult.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For children, how about falling leaves in bumps...make a game of aiming for a particular hollow, or over a bump crest? To make static two-footed releases interesting, have students partner up. In mild bumps, one goes below the other, and draws a target in the snow. The game for the other is to release into one turn, and stop right on the target. Accuracy.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
- side slipping and then edge set
- straight run down and side slipping and then edge set
- straight run down and hockey stop with edge set
- garland
- outside ski turn
- lots of j turn after straight run down about 1~2 ski length to develop patience in turn initiation

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Garland can be a nice way to get some softer edge releases. Can also be a good way to play with fore and aft leverage on the skis too.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Luke, feel the force....I mean feet. Good ole pole drag drill

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I think it's important to understand the difference between drills that only have a release of the edges versus those that have the full RTE (release, transfer, engage). Just learning to release the edges isn't the hard part. It's the transfer and engage, and the balance that is required to do it properly, that really teaches you how to link turns together. Only the one and two-footed releases I posted are full RTE drills.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think it's important to understand the difference between drills that only have a release of the edges versus those that have the full RTE (release, transfer, engage). Just learning to release the edges isn't the hard part. It's the transfer and engage, and the balance that is required to do it properly, that really teaches you how to link turns together. Only the one and two-footed releases I posted are full RTE drills.
So I'm glad you mention this; we're at a very elementary stage of fine motor skills development with a lot of the athletes in the program I have immediate effect over. As much as I would love to be able to go in to a full on RTE progression, we need to get them to just understand the idea of a progressive/"flowy" release first. This does give me an idea for coach skiing development though. Thank you!

Lots of good ideas here, please keep them coming!
(I'm intentionally being a bit vague to hopefully get a broader discussion going)

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Have you checked their base bevels?

The thought had occurred to me.
Yes ogwink
Sideslips. Amazing how many people are unable to do this well.

Static releases.
Oh, mygod. It's UNBELIEVABLE how few people actually understand this task. Or how valuable it is.
Yes. I had a class last weekend, and none of them could let go of their edges and sideslip down the hill. It took quite a bit of work to get them to a point they could slide sideways easily
Wild how many components go in to something as simple as slipping sideways.
For children, how about falling leaves in bumps...make a game of aiming for a particular hollow, or over a bump crest? To make static two-footed releases interesting, have students partner up. In mild bumps, one goes below the other, and draws a target in the snow. The game for the other is to release into one turn, and stop right on the target. Accuracy.
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to play with that a bit

Again, thank you all for your ideas and discussion! This is giving me a lot of ideas.

Sponsor