• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do Moose Chase People

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We have had moose, for years, walk up and down our driveway, accessing out land through a path that they use in the summer. In the winter it's the path we ski back to the house from. We get all sizes, both genders, Mom and kids, Dad. Sometimes the amble right along. Sometimes they get up and go, sometimes they just stand there. I've pulled up the driveway, seen their legs in my headlights and turned off the car. Turned in back on in five minutes and they have been all gone.......or still there. Repeat. I've turned the lights off, and they have all walked down the drive right next to my car. Have also seen so many over the years when hiking, or fishing. I was bought as a kid to just be still, and not be threatening. Have, knock on wood, never been charged. Our dogs are little, have Napoleon complexes, and would be of no help. So we are careful with them.

You don't want to hit one in a car. And, the whole "Moose Lottery" to get a tag to hunt them in Maine is interesting. Well, the hunting, not the process. They aren't terribly smart animals, and they are probably used to humans being non threatening. The hunting doesn't sound like much sport. Kind of sad to me.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As @SBrown mentioned, growing up in Alaska we had a neighborhood moose. She returned year after year and we would feed her apples and lettuce and marshmallows. I hadn't seen any moose since I left Alaska until a few years ago here in Colorado when I had a streak of moose encounters one summer. The first was just seeing one in cross the Peak to Peak highway in front of me. Then there was waking up between 2 moose while camping with @SBrown and @SkiNurse. Then camping near a meadow with 6 moose and then one of them wandering by my camp the next morning. Then another sighting that fall near Eldora after hiking from the 4th of July trailhead. I've seen some in Steamboat since then but not as frequent as that one summer.

After that first camping encounter I refreshed my knowledge of what to do in case of a moose attack and the substance is you will not outrun one but if you can put a large tree/boulder/car etc between you and it they are not nimble and you can keep circling to stay separated.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Not all moose are the same. Yes, they will chase people. A cow moose is the #1 cause of animal deaths in Alaska, a lot higher than bears.
Mis-spent a lot of my youth in Alaska, we had to watch moose safety films in school.

Recently read a news clipping from one of the Anchorage papers it went something like this:
Daughter gets off the bus and is walking home, she is treed by a bull moose. Son comes home a little later and is laughing at sister, he is treed by the same moose. Mom wonders why the kids aren't home yet and goes looking for them, she gets treed too. (You have to understand the typical Anchorage trees to really appreciate this tale) Dad gets home from work and wonders why the house is dark and empty, he grabs his rifle and goes looking for everybody; moose charges Dad, Dad shoots moose. A happy ending, family eats the moose all winter.

A bull moose in rut is just like every other very horney young male, agressive and short on common sense. This combination can cause real problems.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A bull moose in rut is just like every other very horney young male, agressive and short on common sense. This combination can cause real problems.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes The wøndërful telephøne system And mäni interesting furry animals.

Including the majestik møøse A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink."

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti..

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
More people are probably killed by tree branches than most wild animals. On the camping trip which spurred this thread a pine tree split in half on Saturday night and landed where we had considering setting up our tent. It also just missed my fishing pole and our bikes. My neighbor's niece was killed by a tree branch, so he is always worried about my kids in the backyard.
IMG_20180527_145330.jpg

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
??? No movie? Empty? Not sure how this relates to moose.

I've got acres of them. It makes the place smell great.
sorry, bit of a monty python hijack based on Mr. Chaus post right out of the opening credits to Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Just cracked me up this am over first cup of coffee.

Sponsor

Staff online