• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Do it yourself skin savers

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have these old skins I've been using on my regular skis to get uphill in these post-apocalyptic ski days. I don't have skin savers to put between them when storing them.

Is there something I can use to makeshift? No shops open and don't want to gum up the delivery crews with non-essential stuff.

I have plastic window screening. Will that work? or How about weed barrier fabric?

Any ideas welcome.

TS
Jerez

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sweet! Not in a hurry but perhaps we can arrange a no contact hand off?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
;-)

The skins are out in the shop atm,
I did snag a piece of waxed paper....

manana

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
I've used the heavy duty plastic screen that is sold for sliding screen doors without a problem.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My Skin's glue is far too strong for wax paper. I haven't tried it, but I don't think it is anywhere near slippery or strong enough.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Do you know which glue it is? It might be interesting to try it with silicone paper.
The glue is original glue on BD skins. When they are room temp, they try my shoulder strength.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A little follow-up. I’ve been laughing about the wax paper idea because some skins I had long ago came with wax-papery savers, and after I stored them that way it went completely to shit on me when I pulled them out of storage and tried to take the paper off. The paper shredded and I ended up picking pieces of the paper off/out of the glue with fingernails and my leatherma...at the trailhead. Total nightmare. And FWIW, I’ve seen the mesh savers disintegrate on people after storage, leading to the same scenario.

And while I’m at it here’s an unsolicited tip. Rather than use a full length saver on a skin, I’ve been cutting the saver in half and folding the skin over so that one skin uses both sides of the saver. Saves weight and space.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use half-skin savers, too. If anyone has a single full length skin saver lying around, I'd happily pay postage and handling for it. I got a pair of skins with a pair of skis but they had no skin savers.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I've never used skin savers. Go figure.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My skins are super sticky. It is much easier on my shoulders and hands to use them, even during the tour.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hagan sells them:

Sponsor