• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do I need to get this P-Tex fix redone?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I noticed some pinprick holes in a base repair. Do I need to get this redone, or can I safely ignore it? Yes, I know there are plenty of scratches . in the base proper, but I'm not too worried about those - just the holes in the repair job.

I think I've asked a similar question before, in which case, oops ...

20181122_173029.jpg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks, guys! /end of thread

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Not the end yet! As long as the core is sealed up, you will be fine. Then again because it's hard to see in those "holes" if moisture could get in there........to the core.
Small scratches are never a worry.
Anyway those can be filled in just the same anytime. They are a bit large and deep.
As said above, you probably never know the difference in performance & glide.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not the end yet! As long as the core is sealed up, you will be fine. Then again because it's hard to see in those "holes" if moisture could get in there........to the core.
Small scratches are never a worry.
Anyway those can be filled in just the same anytime. They are a bit large and deep.
As said above, you probably never know the difference in performance & glide.

These are 113s ... I certainly won't :)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Those are some nice looking bases, let's see how they look after kissing some MT talus on your Big Sky trip ogwink

Oh, you should see the rest of the bases, LOL. But I'm not going to Big Sky. Maybe they can kiss some Crested Butte talus.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of curiosity, how old is the patch? I've had some that seemed to erode away differentially.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Out of curiosity, how old is the patch? I've had some that seemed to erode away differentially.

Excellent question! I do not recall, but it's quite possible it's old. They were my daily drivers until I blew out my knee - knee's been too cranky for them since then. My knee has been doing great, so I've been planning to ski them tomorrow - but this morning, I walked out of the shower, realized the shower door was going to close loudly, tried to turn to snag it, started to slide - I recovered, but my knee is pissed. Low grade, but definitely pissed. Because, why should I get to ski on my favorite skis, or at all, on a powder day?

Meh. It was satisfying waxing them, at least. Fingers crossed that my knee will magically be better in the morning.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^ Meaning they were my daily drivers back in the spring of 2016. Tempus fugits, my dad says (pronounced "fudge-its", because dad humor).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If those were my skis, I would light up a P-Tex candle, drop a few blobs of P-Tex in each hole, scrape flat with a metal scraper. Less than 5 minutes work and ready to ski.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If those were my skis, I would light up a P-Tex candle, drop a few blobs of P-Tex in each hole, scrape flat with a metal scraper. Less than 5 minutes work and ready to ski.

I'm not going to do my own P-Tex work, but of course a person could do that.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm not going to do my own P-Tex work, but of course a person could do that.

I don't know why you wouldn't do your own P-Tex work as it is easier and has less steps to it than waxing a ski.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't know why you wouldn't do your own P-Tex work as it is easier and has less steps to it than waxing a ski.

Okay.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, you should see the rest of the bases, LOL. But I'm not going to Big Sky. Maybe they can kiss some Crested Butte talus.
I would wax and ski on them. Early season "scrow" (scree + snow) does a number of on the bases and the repair of those tiny blemishes can happen once base depth build (assuming you aren't racing).

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Honestly DanoT is right. Doing your our Ptex is fun. It is so easy that even the novice can do it and it will give you confidence. I went on a trip where all our skis where getting big rock dings. I showed everyone how to do there own skis with a PTex stick, lighter and scraper and they all loved it. The repair doesn't need to be perfect to work. Its like melting toy soldiers and scraping the excess off. That's it and a little wax.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly DanoT is right. Doing your our Ptex is fun. It is so easy that even the novice can do it and it will give you confidence. I went on a trip where all our skis where getting big rock dings. I showed everyone how to do there own skis with a PTex stick, lighter and scraper and they all loved it. The repair doesn't need to be perfect to work. Its like melting toy soldiers and scraping the excess off. That's it and a little wax.

This true unless you have core shots or p-tex damage along the edges where more effort is required to weld metal grip in place to get the p-tex to stick. Some of the early season repairs here require levering chunks of Andestte (the local talus) out of the bases. I don't describe these repairs as "fun", but as tedious.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
True Talisman. I was just referring to simple little dings from poor ground cover. No metal work, edges etc. Just typical New England skiing...lots of rocks, dirt, sticks and ice.

Sponsor