• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do demo bindings offer less performance?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Of course. Completely depends on your skiing goals. However, I will offer the idea that if you actually tested the differences you might surprise yourself. Especially in the realm of the delta and mount position changes. My personal opinion is that most skiers just don't yet realize the true and significant impact these variables have even for less skilled skiers.

You may be right. I don't tend to ski a lot of different set ups. When I do ski a different ski than mine they are all demo bindings. My own bindings are old Fritschi Freerides so my heel is up on a rail and there may or may not be a little wiggle in the toes.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Every binding wall I see has the blunt nose offerings from Tyrolia and Marker.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
Demo bindings have a longer mounting interface on the ski. This can mean a longer flat spot, regardless of the length of your boot.

pliny the elder

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm. I hadn't considered the "aerodynamic" properties of a binding's impact on ski performance.
Binding aerodynamic have about as much effect as a pony tail, a buff or a beard.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
My old post from about 4 years ago received a new like. I read back through this thread and thought that there is some value in bumping it again. I had forgotten that I had "quantified" some of the decision making factors for binding selection. I never copied that info into my own notes, so I'm glad someone read it 4 years later... :)

Sponsor

Staff online