• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do demo bindings offer less performance?

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m looking at a used pair of Enforcer 110 with demo bindings on them. Is there any decrease in performance with demo bindings vs bindings drilled for my size boot?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Other than being a little heavier they work for me just fine. Bonus is a easy resell.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Demo bindings are heavier and the stack height is higher. The Attack demo bindings aren’t too large of a weight difference but the demo Markers are quite a bit heavier. Bonus is you don’t have to remount for different boots so resale/sharing skis is easier. The other benefit is that you can try different mount points on the ski-forward a bit for more playful feel that’s easier to pivot and back for a more stable ski that’s more powerful carving.

Worst case leave the demo bindings on to test different mount points and then swap out with a traditional binding if the extra weight bothers you.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I use AAttack demo's all the time. you really wont notice much of a difference especially if you are on soft snow/powder

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
not my first choice but honestly if you are using them on powder days and leftovers I wouldn't change them unless you dont mind spending the $ for a new pair and mounting.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
Also got an ex demo skis with demo Salomon Lithium 10 bindings, and would be interested in the topic.
These are said to be of the lightest bindings.

From what I could read on demo bindings, they are made for easier and faster adjustment, which makes sense for the demo versions. They don't necessary impede the performance.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They are the marker Griffon demo bindings

Unless Marker has changed things recently, the Griffon rental binding toe piece is mounted on a track with everything else the same between rental and retail Griffon bindings.

I replaced my Griffon bindings because like a lot of other skiers, I found Griffons very difficult to step into in deep snow or steep terrain.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m looking at a used pair of Enforcer 110 with demo bindings on them. Is there any decrease in performance with demo bindings vs bindings drilled for my size boot?

They are a little heavier and a tad higher but overall they ski pretty similarly to their non-demo version.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
a Royal pain in the ass for sure.

I think that the whole Royal bindings line from Marker including the Jester and Squire suffer the same difficult step-in problem. It is a shame because I always felt confidence in the performance of the Griffon as to its ability to release AND retain exactly how I liked.

One tip that I got from a heli tail gunner guide who probably had lots of experience helping clients, was to flex the foot (toe) upward after the boot toe is placed in the binding toe piece, just as you are stepping down with the boot heel.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
a Royal pain in the ass for sure.
I see what you did there.
(As I'm currently looking to replace the Squire demos on my Santa Ana 88s, because I LOATHE the heelpiece and dread having to try to step into it in powder or on a steep or something besides a nice, flat area.)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Also got an ex demo skis with demo Salomon Lithium 10 bindings, and would be interested in the topic.
These are said to be of the lightest bindings.

From what I could read on demo bindings, they are made for easier and faster adjustment, which makes sense for the demo versions. They don't necessary impede the performance.

From the pic you posted, your money is best spent on a good tune. Those edges looked like they had been used and put away wet.

Reactions: Ron

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are the marker Griffon demo bindings

For me, the decisive advantage of a demo/rail adjustable binding on a powder ski is the ability to adjust your mount position on the ski. On powder skis this is especially advantageous, including to find your exact "sweet spot or spots" on that particular pair of skis, and to be able to adjust for different conditions; say, for a very heavy snow powder day, by just moving your mount back a bit. (etc.)

One plus side of the older Marker demo bindings is that they are adjustable for boot size and mount point in very small increments by a screw/spring (rather than in larger increments by a tool-less lever). These days, usually only the top of the line race bindings have this type of (in some ways better) adjustment system.

I understand that the new (this year) GW version of the Griffon demos has been re-designed lower and lighter weight, with a new tool-less lever.

The downside to these bindings has been mentioned, but I'm a lighter guy, and have no problems getting them on and off, including in deep snow. There is a basic procedure/preparation to follow if they come off with a fall in deep snow: make sure you have a flat, stable platform cleared out and stomped down a bit in the snow before you put them back on. Then no problems, at least for me. (I do have a very slight difficulty with the stiffer Marker Jesters 16 din, and with Look SPX 15 din race bindings - both just because of the stiffer springs relative to my light weight - c. 150 lbs.)

From shop experience of many friends, the real on-off problem with the Griffons is primarily with very short boots (ladies or child's).

Note: I ski powder with such Marker demo bindings (including similar rail adjustable Schizos) about 30-35 times a year, and have had Marker demo Griffons on a lot of my skis over the years with no problems.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Everyone hates on Look Rockerace 15 step-in too - it's not just your weight/spring ratio.

I'm a 26.0 and outweigh you by a couple of bags of concrete. FWIW I only had a problem with the first-gen Royals.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The new TCX heel is your friend.

Attachments

• _5D43826.JPG
    _5D43826.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 119

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fitted binding just have a tighter feel. My kid's attack 11 demo make his skis heavier than my wife's larger skis with marker 11.

Lilia

Putting on skis
Skier
From the pic you posted, your money is best spent on a good tune. Those edges looked like they had been used and put away wet.

Thanks for your note. The store has said they have tuned them before the sale, and the edges feel sharp enough, but rusty spots? is that what you mean?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for your note. The store has said they have tuned them before the sale, and the edges feel sharp enough, but rusty spots? is that what you mean?

looks like their tuner is a beaver, those ski's need a full tune.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid