• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are planning to rent bikes when we visit UT and CO in September. Cost-wise it's a wash. Convenience factor wins.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We are planning to rent bikes when we visit UT and CO in September. Cost-wise it's a wash. Convenience factor wins.

The more and more I look into it...the more I'm leaning down this road too. I like the idea of shipping my bike, but I'm not too fond of the time it takes to get out there. I'd have to ship it 5 days before arrival, and wait 5 days to get it back (for the cheaper price).

I'm out there for weddings (both trips), so being in a biking centric location was just a nice perk. I liked the idea of having my own bike to be able to go out for a short ride without dedicating the whole day to a rental. But...I guess I gotta pick my battles. The convenience of renting is nice...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
While he had fun, its time for him to get a new bike, just like its time for me to get the cobwebs out from between my ears when it comes to riding.

I'm sure we've talked about it before, but the Mermer Blakeslee book was a huge help to me in getting back into mountain biking after an injury. I especially took to the idea of staying on an "easier" trail when it felt comfortable, rather than immediately moving "up" to a more difficult trail. As a result, I actually became more confident than I'd been before the crash. (Then I let my ego drive and hurt myself again ... gee, I *never* do that kind of thing ... but you can skip that part!)

By no means do I have an $8000 bike. But I'm still pretty attached to it, and don't think I trust a cardboard box enough. The Evoc bags were the ones I was looking at.

There's a local shop here that will pack and ship your bike for you. I think it was $150. But they pack those high end bikes in cardboard, too. It's what's inside the box that keeps the bike safe.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a local shop here that will pack and ship your bike for you. I think it was $150. But they pack those high end bikes in cardboard, too. It's what's inside the box that keeps the bike safe.

Good point...I suppose that is how every bike gets shipped to the shop initially. And some of those boxes are probably more sturdy than some of the bags out there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Good point...I suppose that is how every bike gets shipped to the shop initially. And some of those boxes are probably more sturdy than some of the bags out there.

Yes and no. The bikes come shipped from the factory with quite a bit of padding and some plastic pieces that protect the most sensitive areas. The boxes can be reused once or twice though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On page 5 in less than 24 hrs. :popcorn:

And this is why I put some money into fixing up my 8 year old bike instead of buying a new one.
I should correct the terminology I used in this post.
I didn't "fix up" my bike,
I added a dropper post.
There are reasons I thought this would be the next step for me getting back on the bike, and it worked.

You probably should have just lit that money on fire. An 8 year old my bike is like a Salomon XScream... One does not spend money putting new bindings on an XScream.
I can happily say, you are wrong! :D
I am stoked about the day I had yesterday. For the first time in 7 years, I woke up looking forward to riding again today!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I added a dropper post.
There are reasons I thought this would be the next step for me getting back on the bike, and it worked.

A dropper post really is a game changer. At a quick glance, they're also much more affordable than they once were.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
A dropper post really is a game changer. At a quick glance, they're also much more affordable than they once were.

This season is the first time I have used one and its really awesome. Still getting used to it and the bike. I had not ridden a MTB in almost ten years and back then it was an aluminum 26" wheeled Trek top fuel. Im loving the current gear. Huge improvement! = more fun. Basic techniques still apply but man, rough downhills are much more fun now.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I love my dropper post as well. In addition to downhills it is also helpful when getting started from a dead stop on an uphill. I've often had the issue where I can't get up on my saddle and pedal hard enough to get momentum when dealing with an uphill. By lowering the saddle it takes less time to get up so I can get on, pedal a turn or two, then pop the saddle back up.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Especially if you lack confidence on steep-ish technical stuff!

Some people took the time to open the QR and drop their posts manually back in the day. I found it to be too fiddly, and I hate having my seat height off by even a fraction of an inch. And it locks you into that seat height until you stop and put it back - my knee couldn't handle climbs on a lowered seat. But it's not just about confidence. The switchback technique I learned at the Dirt Series is simply not possible if there's a seat in the way.

I've ridden so low and back that the tire scraped my shorts. That's hard to do - but not impossible - with a full-height seat.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You probably should have just lit that money on fire. An 8 year old my bike is like a Salomon XScream... One does not spend money putting new bindings on an XScream.

You know, given the ubiquity of Neo Retro Velo FB/Google Groups (in separate carbon and steel and alu and even Norba-specific flavours!) I wonder if there could be a venue for Neo Retro - Ski.

'cuz there really needs to be a place for Forzas on Tankers, Pivots on Chubbs, MRs on Volkl 3s. Really, there does. Padding optional :D