• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Several years back I upgraded to a front suspension hydrualic disk brake bike (Giant Talon 3), my nephew got my old bike (Eaton’s) with no suspension and cantilever brakes from the early ‘90s.

What I like on the new is front suspension (getting older), lighter (Al frame, getting older), brakes lighter and even more progressive feel, 6 more gears to choose from (27 vs 21). On the old solid (chrome molly), takes a beating and keeps on ticking (yes I abused it and have the injuries to prove it)

Recently he had it tune up by a friend that has access to a bike shop (and all the newest and best toys) and his comment was the old bike was well built, better than a lot of more expensive stuff out there.

Point is newer and more expensive is not always better.

It really comes down to does it meet your needs, function and last.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Except that Phil is priority over me getting a bike because he doesn't have one. That's what makes the suggestion that I not waste my time or money on anything to improve my riding experience on my current bike is tough for me to chew on.
Maybe @Philpug should get your hand me down bike and you get a new one.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe @Philpug should get your hand me down bike and you get a new one.
Don't laugh..I took her EX8 to Downieville and had a great run on it. Granted it is a bit small but it is doable. I have been riding her Klein Attitude single speed and that has been fun.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Philpug, as they say in the bike fitting world, you can make a small bike bigger but you can't make a big bike smallerogsmile.

Just like ski boot fitting, this is true until it isn't.

You can fix wrong size by adding a longer stem, more spacers on the stem, and a longer seatpost.

But a bike hacked to be the right size will never feel as good as a bike that is the right size.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, as they say in the bike fitting world, you can make a small bike bigger but you can't make a big bike smallerogsmile.

Just like ski boot fitting, this is true until it isn't.

You can fix wrong size by adding a longer stem, more spacers on the stem, and a longer seatpost.

But a bike hacked to be the right size will never feel as good as a bike that is the right size.
This is true.
While he had fun, its time for him to get a new bike, just like its time for me to get the cobwebs out from between my ears when it comes to riding.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Several years back I upgraded to a front suspension hydrualic disk brake bike (Giant Talon 3), my nephew got my old bike (Eaton’s) with no suspension and cantilever brakes from the early ‘90s.

What I like on the new is front suspension (getting older), lighter (Al frame, getting older), brakes lighter and even more progressive feel, 6 more gears to choose from (27 vs 21). On the old solid (chrome molly), takes a beating and keeps on ticking (yes I abused it and have the injuries to prove it)

Recently he had it tune up by a friend that has access to a bike shop (and all the newest and best toys) and his comment was the old bike was well built, better than a lot of more expensive stuff out there.

Point is newer and more expensive is not always better.

It really comes down to does it meet your needs, function and last.
It sounds like the Eaton's bike would do for me, except for the front fork.
A lot of the features of the too expensive (to me) "entry level" bikes are designed to make the experience more enjoyable:
- Lighter so that you don't work as hard going uphill. I don't mind working a bit harder - I'm biking for exercise anyway.
- More gears. I would be happy with 10 (although, the top gear is never tall enough for my wants)
- Fancy rear suspension - I'm sure it helps keep your rear wheel connected for better uphill traction without that annoying squatting instead of propulsion when you power stroke (not sure of the correct terminology here, but you know what I mean). I'll settle for a hard tail.

I'm not racing anyone. I don't care about impressing anyone with my "rad bike". I don't need or want the value-added package; so long as the shifter controls don't involve rotating the handle, I'll be happy.
Maybe I should go buy a Costco or Canadian Tire (eh?) bike. However, I do ride some pretty rough terrain, I like jumps and I am a speed freak - so no, that Wallmart bike won't do.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Must see :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first MTB was a Bridgestone MB-5. Bent the fork in the first week. Replaced the fork rather than upgrade. It got stolen and the shop I was racing for at the time appraised it for enough to buy the owner's Ti VooDoo D-Jab (which I still have).

Yes mine was an MB 5 and the front fork kind of sucked. I considered replacing it with a not shock fork after I upgraded to a Klein. Thought I might use it as a beach vacation/knock around bike but eventually I just scrapped it.

Regarding fsr v hard tail; the rear shock really saves my lower back. Used to hurt after rides longer than an hour and no pain since I went with rear suspension. It was never a handling issue for me just an easier on my fat old aging body issue.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of disturbing bike prices...

Currently researching options for renting or flying my bike to Utah in a couple weeks, and then to CO in September. WHOA, flying a bike is expensive. $150 each way, plus the cost of the bag...another $400.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier

Currently researching options for renting or flying my bike to Utah in a couple weeks, and then to CO in September. WHOA, flying a bike is expensive. $150 each way, plus the cost of the bag...another $400.

I have friends that come to visit me and bring their bikes every once in a while- they usually just go to a bike shop and get a cardboard box from them and then box up their bike in that.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Hmm..used to be able to box it yourself and fly it as sports equipment..nowadays though, you pay $50 to check a kleenex box..sooo...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

It's one reason I bought a bike last year with S&S couplers. So far I've saved $600 on baggage fees with it.

Not that they're really relevant to mtbing unless you're rocking a steel hardtail or rigid bike.

Another option if you have time at either end is to box it yourself in a bike box, then ship it using bikeflights.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Some airlines are better than others with shipping bikes. If I was flying with my bike I would get on elf the $400 (or more) Evoc bags. Cardboard box isn't going to cut it the way that they handle luggage thesis days. Not on an $8000 bike anyway.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
No one has answered the used bike option other than insinuating they retch thinking about it. $500. Can one get something or should they just say screw it?
What type of bikes does say Killington rent?

Rhetorical? Or are you actually looking?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm..used to be able to box it yourself and fly it as sports equipment..nowadays though, you pay $50 to check a kleenex box..sooo...

That's what I thought too. You'd think that a bike would get some kind of deal like skis or golf clubs do. At least, United, Delta and American Airlines all charge $150 if it's over 62 inches (total dimensions).

Some airlines are better than others with shipping bikes. If I was flying with my bike I would get on elf the $400 (or more) Evoc bags. Cardboard box isn't going to cut it the way that they handle luggage thesis days. Not on an $8000 bike anyway.

By no means do I have an $8000 bike. But I'm still pretty attached to it, and don't think I trust a cardboard box enough. The Evoc bags were the ones I was looking at.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Nothing wrong with a box but you have to do it properly..which is the trick I suppose. Looks like $150 is pretty standard these days. Well, tickets are cheaper though! :-p

James

Out There
Instructor
Well the train from Denver airport has bike racks if that's a factor...

Rhetorical? Or are you actually looking?
I was considering this summer but I'm thinking not now. I know nothing though. Even the whole 26er vs 29er means nothing.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

Ship it out using Bikeflights.com. They are a middleman that gives you a substantial discount on Fedex pricing. Used them a bunch from my shop and have had no problems.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Well the train from Denver airport has bike racks if that's a factor...

I was considering this summer but I'm thinking not now. I know nothing though. Even the whole 26er vs 29er means nothing.
You left out 27.5 and 'plus'. Oh, anyone for a fat bike?

So many options and choices. Why? Because we are all different and want to ride 'our' way. Sounds like another sport I like. ;)