• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buy the cheap bike, smash it into oblivion and then buy the real bike. That works too. Or buy the cheap bike, keep "upgrading" it falls apart anyway and then buy the real bike. Your real bike will probably break any some point too. It's not a cheap sport, and I've been in it since the '80's too. I used to own a bike shop in the '90's. At that time, I would have sold my friend a Bianchi Peregrine or maybe a Fischer Hoo Koo E Koo. Those were both around $700, but it's not 1996 anymore.
The point that some are making is that a $700 bike now is light years better than a $700 bike was in 1996 let alone taking into the adjustment for inflation. I don't think anyone is saying that the sub $1,000 bike today is going to make you (Pro Mountain Biker's name here). A Cannondale Catalyst 3 is so much better than whatever Headshock H400 was in that time. These "entry level" are/were also not serious mountain bikes, the entry point for them has always commanded a four digit price point.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
sold both of those bikes and bought the bike I currently have, which is a Trek Fuel EX 8 WSD - $2,639.99 plus pedals. By the time I paid for the water bottle cage and pedals and tax, it was 3000.00 out the door.
I'd say my ROI is pretty good.

That's a useful data point. $2640 for alu framed, 120mm, slx/deore level bike in 2009. Based on that, I wouldn't say the last 9 years have been unfriendly to cyclists. For a slightly lower price today, you get a bike that is significantly better in every dimension, from geometry, to suspension, to wheels, to components, to having a dropper. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ex/fuel-ex-7-29/p/21522/?colorCode=black_blue

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least Plato would appreciate the bliss of ignorance is alive and well though the light now shines about, or does it?

I am patiently waiting another 8 years so I can buy a beat fat bike for for a few hundred. Should be a nice 50th birthday present.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a useful data point. $2640 for alu framed, 120mm, slx/deore level bike in 2009. Based on that, I wouldn't say the last 9 years have been unfriendly to cyclists. For a slightly lower price today, you get a bike that is significantly better in every dimension, from geometry, to suspension, to wheels, to components, to having a dropper. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ex/fuel-ex-7-29/p/21522/?colorCode=black_blue
Add in the cost of inflation..even better. Now...what is said bike worth on resale? $800-1,000? New one is $2,500. Will she get more than double the enjoyment out of the new bike? I know, you, me or even @Tricia might not be able to answer that question but lets take into accout that she has a serious bike accident a few years back (11 rib breaks in 8 ribs plus a broken collar bone) so she has some significant head issues still. Doing this mod, is the first baby step to get her more comfortable. Plus take into account that I am bike less at that point. So, I also need a bike, so add her $1500 on top of the $2500 (minimum) I would have to spend, we are up to $4-5K. Not an inconsequential amount when we are running a website. So, for those who think we need better bikes...there is the donate button ;)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer Hoo Koo E Koo
this was my first mountain bike. Bought around 1990 for $550 on sale. That was a big purchase for me back then. I loved that bike.
My new mountain bike: Marin Hawk Hill, bought last year. I think I paid $1300. This bike is also considered "entry-level." I'm still figuring out the full-suspension, but I can see keeping this bike a while; maybe upgrading the gearing (need a bigger cog on the cassette) and getting lighter wheels, better tires.

For my road bike, I had a Trek 2.1 for years. It has an aluminum frame, carbon fiber seat stays and fork. I paid $1100 in 2010ish. I changed the groupset to a SRAM Apex compact double with a 15 (or 16)-32 cassette, and upgraded the wheels, so I probably spent about $1000 upgrading, but not all at once. I've done all kinds of great and tough rides on that bike. The only reason I have a new road bike (Specialized Amira) is that when I was shopping for a mountain bike, I spotted the Amira in the front of the shop and asked the salesperson about it. It is bright orange and someone bought it for his wife and returned it because she didn't like the color. I tried it, it fit perfectly, and I got an almost $1000 discount.

Last summer was "new bike summer." Now I need to get riding and figure out how to ride a full-suspension bike.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your "friend" has an 8 yr old mt bike in his garage. It needs some work but he'll give it to you.
This isn't good.
I think it's great if someone wants to give you an 8-year-old bike. Unless it's destroyed, it probably won't take much to make it serviceable.

I think the point is not to try to upgrade it to bring it to current standards. That's cost prohibitive. Ride it as it is.

There are plenty of us riding on bikes that old. My newest bike is 9 years old. We've gone through 7 (!) bikes for our six-year-old twins. Daddy is surviving fine.

Unlike skis, bikes last forever. I still have my 1984 steel Miyata and ride it around town.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In our house its always X2.

It doesn't *have* to be. At least, not in the short term. I'm not saying that always doing x2 is wrong, but it isn't the only paradigm.

Honestly, this whole thread is kind of rich coming from a bunch of skiers. It is true, bikes are overly expensive and we did it to ourselves. I'll buy a set of brakes that cost more than an "entry-level" bike.

One of my ski instructor friends was asking about bikes this winter. I told her don't get less than this - https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1922/sCategory/511 so that's what I'd consider entry level. Entry level for a person that wants to ride real trails.

I have a friend interested in mountain biking. Hasn't been on a bike in years. He's talking about buying a garage sale bike. I wince. Eric's bike is sitting there unused - in fact, I doubt it's been ridden 10 times since we bought it several years ago, and it's a $4.5k Trek Fuel something or other - carbon frame. It's a 26er, so unlikely to pull much if I sell it. Thinking of just letting my friend ride it for a while because I cannot even conceive of allowing my friend to ride a garage sale bike.

Add in the cost of inflation..even better. Now...what is said bike worth on resale? $800-1,000?

Not by my experience. No one with any cash wants 26ers. I wasn't able to sell a $5k bike, newer than that, until I dropped the price to $600.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Another thought on replacing bikes: When I bought my Yeti last year, I was 100% sure that I would keep my old, shorter travel bike around for less technical rides with lots of climbing. But the modern suspension designs are so good, and everything else about the bike was so much better, that I quickly realized I would never actually choose the older bike over the newer.

James

Out There
Instructor
No one has answered the used bike option other than insinuating they retch thinking about it. $500. Can one get something or should they just say screw it?
What type of bikes does say Killington rent?

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
No one has answered the used bike option other than insinuating they retch thinking about it. $500. Can one get something or should they just say screw it?

Quick google search looks like Kton rents Scott bikes. Would guess genius which is $2500-4000msrp

Alpine bike works giant trance 3 which is around $2,500

I'm always weary of used bikes because like has been said here a few times newer bikes are expensive because they have so many moving parts. Say you buy a used FS that seems fine but the front fork is 90% through its life cycle. After 10 rides your looking at a rebuild $$ or a new fork $$$$. You have probably 6-8 components allong those lines.

If you know someone that is a serious Mt biker I would go through them. I have one neighbor who works at a local bike/ski shop and another that is an DH instructor at northstar. Those are the types of people to talk to about used bikes because they are full on bro down/semi sponsored and cycle through bikes quickly but take care of the necessary daily maintenance.

LBS sell their rental fleet at the end of every season so some deals to be had there and usually they will gurantee the maintence at least for a bit.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My friend is a bike guy and ex mechanic. Got an unused used specialized whatever on ebay for $1,500, half of retail. I'd spring for that deal. He beat me up the hills even though I'm probably in a little better shape, but he's a good rider. The 29s probably helped him on the roots. But I have a 16 year old upgraded pos. The surfer beat us all up the hills on his pos.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

If you don't mind 26ers, you can get a lot of bike on the used market. 27.5 and 29ers demand more, even though 26 is a great wheel size esp for smaller riders. Thing is, it is way harder to buy a mtb in good repair than a road bike. A lot more knowledge goes into understanding whether suspension parts are in good shape, whether brakes will need to be rebled, whether pivots (if a FS) are in good repair.

I road a Ti hard tail 3x9 with XT/XTR and v-brakes for both 2014 and 2015 season all around Colorado. Bought for $350 and added $120 Reba fork. Including some big rides like Monarch Crest, Curt Gowdy epic, and Doctors Park in CB. I didn't know what I was missing, everything worked (except for exhausted hands from braking on long descents), and I had a great time.

Most bike parks rent big downhill or enduro specific bikes. I don't know about killington, but at least here in CO.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you don't mind 26ers, you can get a lot of bike on the used market. 27.5 and 29ers demand more, even though 26 is a great wheel size esp for smaller riders.

There's a company locally that buys high end used bikes to sell. They won't even buy a 26er anymore. There just isn't demand, and they sell for very little. Buyer's market for sure.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mammoth is renting Trek and I noticed a good amount of E-Bikes in thier fleet too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Plus take into account that I am bike less at that point.

It doesn't *have* to be. At least, not in the short term. I'm not saying that always doing x2 is wrong, but it isn't the only paradigm.
Except that Phil is priority over me getting a bike because he doesn't have one. That's what makes the suggestion that I not waste my time or money on anything to improve my riding experience on my current bike is tough for me to chew on.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Except that Phil is priority over me getting a bike because he doesn't have one. That's what makes the suggestion that I not waste my time or money on anything to improve my riding experience on my current bike is tough for me to chew on.

Oooooh. I did not realize that was the case. Now I get it. Yeah, keep your current bike running and get Phil a bike, stat!

(I hope I didn't say you should buy a new bike. I don't have any opinion on that - I do think that resale value on your current bike would, unfortunately, not be a big help.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
(I hope I didn't say you should buy a new bike. I don't have any opinion on that - I do think that resale value on your current bike would, unfortunately, not be a big help.)
Yeah, I got that.
The investment I put into the bike this year is a dropper post. I really like it for the little I've used it thus far.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, I got that.
The investment I put into the bike this year is a dropper post. I really like it for the little I've used it thus far.

It's taken me a while to "take" to the dropper, but yeah - game changer. I learned a technique for switchbacks that pretty much requires the seat to be down, but it makes a big difference in confidence.

Sponsor

Staff online