• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Truly depressing thread. Can't even blame it on Vail.

So...how about used??

Otherwise one might as well get the KTM. As long as it's a four stroke. The very little riding I've done, following someone in the mts with the smell of a 2 stroke is like being forced to follow someone on twin tips all day with the continual spray in the face.
I shared a track with a 70's Kawasaki KH400 vintage race bike one day and every time I went by the guy I had oil splatter everywhere...had to Windex the visor every session so I could see again..friggin oil burner... :eek::D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

So...how about used??

Otherwise one might as well get the KTM. As long as it's a four stroke. The very little riding I've done, following someone in the mts with the smell of a 2 stroke is like being forced to follow someone on twin tips all day with the continual spray in the face.
You couldn't pay me to own a dirt bike.

I'm not saying that I won't get a new bike at some point, but its something I have to plan for and budget.
In our house its always X2.
I can't imagine a family of 4 that all ride.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think it's that bad.

REI has 101 mountain bikes on it's website. The first 30 are $0-1000. The next 30 are $1000-2000. The remainder are $2000-4000.

Yes, they don't have the quality or expertise of a local bike shop, but it's better than Walmart or Costco.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

So...how about used??

Two stroke isn't what it used to be. Oil injection has resulted in just the right amount of oil going into the cylinder. Gone are the days of belching blue smoke. On modern machines, that is. ;)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Or play hockey.. People complain about $1k a month for daycare..but they'll cough up $10k for hockey.. Das ist wahnsinn!!
I don't have any daughters, but I remember talking to some other Dad's that told me hockey is cheap compared to dance studio!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't have any daughters, but I remember talking to some other Dad's that told me hockey is cheap compared to dance studio!
Or gymnastics...or equestrian or..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ski racing ain't cheap. 4 disciplines, race skis and trainers for each discipline, boots, lift tickets, coaching, travel and so on. Oh. And professional tuning. ogsmile

I'm working at the shop tomorrow to tune skis for a U12 (presumably, based on 135 cm skis) going to Mt. Hood. I spent 3 weeks in Argentina as part of my training regimine.

:daffy:

(We could use a racing smilie)

James

Out There
Instructor
Let's sum up.
Don't even bother going to the mt bike shop to get your entry bike with less than $900. Really $1,100.

The bright side- think of how much better off you are not ending up in the Hot Tub Time Machine, then spending $2,500 on a Mac 512k. Because when you get out of The Tub you might as well have burned the money. The Tombstone Mac is useless. The money spent though is now more like $5,000. That's a lot of burning in $20's.

Part Two. A Sadder Tale

Your "friend" has an 8 yr old mt bike in his garage. It needs some work but he'll give it to you.
This isn't good. Unless you have a barn full of X-Screams. (Even @Bill Talbot probably only has 3-4 pair)

It would be better to take say the $225 you'll spend rehabilitating the 8 yr old jike and burn it. Maybe film The Burning in an interesting or stupid way, post on youtube and hope to recoup $1.25 in ads. You're still ahead of the game.

Now I know what these Wise Guys were doing. Contemplating buying an 8 yr old mt bike:

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Let's sum up.
Don't even bother going to the mt bike shop to get your entry bike with less than $900. Really $1,100.

The bright side- think of how much better off you are not ending up in the Hot Tub Time Machine, then spending $2,500 on a Mac 512k. Because when you get out of The Tub you might as well have burned the money. The Tombstone Mac is useless. The money spent though is now more like $5,000. That's a lot of burning in $20's.

Part Two. A Sadder Tale

Your "friend" has an 8 yr old mt bike in his garage. It needs some work but he'll give it to you.
This isn't good. Unless you have a barn full of X-Screams. (Even @Bill Talbot probably only has 3-4 pair)

It would be better to take say the $225 you'll spend rehabilitating the 8 yr old jike and burn it. Maybe film The Burning in an interesting or stupid way, post on youtube and hope to recoup $1.25 in ads. You're still ahead of the game.

Now I know what these Wise Guys were doing. Contemplating buying an 8 yr old mt bike:
The $900 bike comes with pedals so you got that going for you(a lot don't these days)... You can at least ride it home before you need to upgrade

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In any event, I seem to be in the minority in thinking bike prices are a little outrageous...I'll go back to curmudgeon corner and mutter under my breath now.. :D

I feel like we, as sports enthusiasts, grow accustomed to outrageous prices the longer you’re involved. All of a sudden $5k for a carbon framed, 150mm travel, Eagle drivetrain bike is a good deal.

Having worked in a hockey shop in the past, you could pretty quickly tell who’s new to the sport just by witnessing their reaction to prices from across the room.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Honestly, this whole thread is kind of rich coming from a bunch of skiers. It is true, bikes are overly expensive and we did it to ourselves. I'll buy a set of brakes that cost more than an "entry-level" bike.

One of my ski instructor friends was asking about bikes this winter. I told her don't get less than this - https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1922/sCategory/511 so that's what I'd consider entry level. Entry level for a person that wants to ride real trails.

James

Out There
Instructor
One of my ski instructor friends was asking about bikes this winter. I told her don't get less than this - https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1922/sCategory/511 so that's what I'd consider entry level. Entry level for a person that wants to ride real trails.
> JEFFSY® 27 AL
USD 2,299.00

That come with pedals? Assembled?

Dirt bike with an actual motor is looking better and better.

A) What about kid's bikes?
Are they out in the garage burning $20's?
B) Used Bikes

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

One man's entry level is another's major upgrade. Just like many here consider an "entry level" boot to be $500.

I'm a person who rides real trails (last year included Monarch Crest, Whole Enchilada, Georgia-Kenosha-Breck, and multiple bike parks) and keeps up fine with people on 6 and 7k yetis. That YT is an upgrade in every department compared to my bike (sans maybe the fork, Yari vs Fox 34?) and costs $800 more.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Honestly, this whole thread is kind of rich coming from a bunch of skiers. It is true, bikes are overly expensive and we did it to ourselves. I'll buy a set of brakes that cost more than an "entry-level" bike.

lol, that's like our phsical therapist friends who own a $1,000,000 2 bedroom condo in Queens. Imagine having to take a 30 minute ride (on a good day) to get into the city when they could just drop another $2mil and live uptown. They'd have to give up their Giants tickets.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Buy the cheap bike, smash it into oblivion and then buy the real bike. That works too. Or buy the cheap bike, keep "upgrading" it falls apart anyway and then buy the real bike. Your real bike will probably break any some point too. It's not a cheap sport, and I've been in it since the '80's too. I used to own a bike shop in the '90's. At that time, I would have sold my friend a Bianchi Peregrine or maybe a Fischer Hoo Koo E Koo. Those were both around $700, but it's not 1996 anymore.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just dug out my papers on the mountain bikes I've bought over the past 15 years.
The first was a Trek 6700 - Sticker price was 899.00 but I got it for 600.00. I had that bike for 4 years before I bought a used FS bike to compliment it. I think I paid something like 800.00 or 900.00 for it. That thing was a beast.
1934329_45536115017_6407_n.jpg

I sold both of those bikes and bought the bike I currently have, which is a Trek Fuel EX 8 WSD - $2,639.99 plus pedals. By the time I paid for the water bottle cage and pedals and tax, it was 3000.00 out the door.
I'd say my ROI is pretty good.

The fourth bike I have, is the Klein Attitude Comp, that I turned into a SS just for kicks.
13680080_10154190426196138_4714301103333470394_o.jpg

I agree with this.
When I was in Michigan I recall shopping for my mt bike and my ex was furious because my bike cost almost as much as his new dirt bike. And he was a AA Enduro Racer so he didn't scrimp on his gear.
After finding my receipts, I will correct this statement, my bike was almost half the price of his dirt bike, $5,675.00. He was still mad, but the numbers were off.

I'm not sure what my point is, because I really haven't spent that much on bikes, but the cost of any new bike I'm interested in buying is still something I will have to budget for.

Last edited: