• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

James

Out There
Instructor
What you're saying is one can't walk into a bike shop and get a mt bike for $500 that's decent? And then, forget upgrading it as parts will cost much more?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Entry level into and beginner are different IMO. Walk into any bike shop around here and say your a beginner and they will put you on a hard tail or full suspension xc bike for $750-1500. If you get seriously into it you are going to want to get onto a decent (by industry standards) full suspension enduro style bike they are going to start at $2500 and up. I'm not defending it. It just seems the way of the mountain bike world these days

Sure, entry level enduro-style bikes are ~$2500.

The thing is, the category of enduro didn't even really exist 5-10 years ago. Nor did bikes like what you're getting for that price now complete with well damped 130-150mm suspensions, reliable drivetrains, droppers (standard on most 2500 bikes) and the like.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Our concept of "minimum acceptable quality" is different than that of people who have fewer resources and/or are younger and thus more resilient.

Yeah, reminds me of another thread where an Outback isn't enough, wherein other countries, you get this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Or even this:
cowasaki.jpg

I'm not knocking anyone in the other thread, it's just an example of Monique's post.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Entry level into and beginner are different IMO. Walk into any bike shop around here and say your a beginner and they will put you on a hard tail or full suspension xc bike for $750-1500. If you get seriously into it you are going to want to get onto a decent (by industry standards) full suspension enduro style bike they are going to start at $2500 and up. I'm not defending it. It just seems the way of the mountain bike world these days

Right, but if I'm on a limited budget, I don't see why I need a full suspension enduro style bike. Again - people were riding gnarly stuff on a lot less bike not too long ago. Hell, *I* was riding somewhat gnarly stuff on a 100mm XC bike not long ago, and I am by far not an exceptionally skilled or gutsy rider.

The thing is, the category of enduro didn't even really exist 5-10 years ago. Nor did bikes like what you're getting for that price now complete with well damped 130-150mm suspensions, reliable drivetrains, droppers (standard on most 2500 bikes) and the like.

Exactly!

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I feel like someone might dial up trekbikes.com, look at MTB's and say, wow, I can't afford to mountain bike..I need $3.5k to actually buy a bike, then another $1k in gear..I might as well buy a CR450 and have some fun!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 disturbed by MTB prices.....

Yes, I'm an avid skier. Yes, I'm looking for entry-mid level enthusiast stuff. Yes, I "can" afford what I like. But, that doesn't mean the current trends irk me.

My pain point seems to be around $1K (for most recreational stuff: skis and bikes). Less is always more in my book.

For example, my bikes are found used, because I don't like the depreciation.
Carbon road bikes 2-4 yrs old can be found for 1/3 of retail. Most people don't ride them that much, so they're basically may be 1/3 into the life of the chain/cassette when I find them.

But not so with MTBs. I started off with a 15+ yr old aluminum frame hard tail for a couple of Benjamins and quickly learned to appreciate the newer geometries, larger wheels/tires, better suspension, etc. Used 5-10yr FS aluminum XC bikes are in the low-2k (40-60% retail) range, really? It didn't take long to recognize and jump on new 150mm FS carbon XC clearance at $3K (50% off retail). Did it feel good to part with the cash? No. Did it change my life? no much -- still ride road more than mtb. Would I do it again? Grudgingly, yes. Because when I do ride MTB, it's switch backs and technical stuff in our area.

Yes, there's more tech in MTB bikes. Yes, the parts where out faster. For me, I'm still (a relative beginner) figuring out why I want to do it. When the emotional value of the sport is more than cash value, this (mostly) internal dialogue will (hopefully) disappear.

Looking forward to the day when my pain point is much higher (either: more cash on hand, or more emotion invested).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Used 5-10yr FS aluminum XC bikes are in the low-2k (40-60% retail) range,

Me thinks you need to get better at online shopping perhaps. That is way too high unless you're looking at race bikes.

I bought a new alu fs trail bike, 150/130 travel, yari fork, monarch shock, gx drivetrain, 27.5", thru axles, boost, etc for $1550 two years ago. This year my buddy bought the same bike but with a 1x11 NX drivetrain for <$1600.

Hell, Canyon's FS Spectral AL 6.0 is only $2400 new, with a pike, dropper, gx eagle, and great tires.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me thinks you need to get better at online shopping perhaps. That is way too high unless you're looking at race bikes.

I bought a new alu fs trail bike, 150/130 travel, yari fork, monarch shock, gx drivetrain, 27.5", thru axles, boost, etc for $1550 two years ago. This year my buddy bought the same bike but with a 1x11 NX drivetrain for <$1600.

I'm willing to learn....but, usually I stick to well know brands (sorry, don't know enough to risk bikesdirect and other direct sellers).

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

Totally agree!
I'm not trying to argue that that style bike existed or its components. @Monique i used to ride my trek hard tail all over the same trails as I do now on my full suspension, definitely the Indian not the arrow. The bike I'm on now is a 2013 Santa Cruz heckler which was mid range at around 2500$ msp. Now SC low end full suspension is that much

I'm just saying the industry has changed and now what's considered a standard bike around here in Tahoe (guessing Colorado also) is full suspension enduro.

I've been a mountain biker magazine subscriber for probably 10 years and they usually review about 3 bikes per issue. Over the years I have watched what the industry considers a "value" or "entry level" bike change completely.

Right or wrong it is what it is!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought...are there actually less options for entry-level bikes, or just more options for high-end bikes?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Can I just say I find the price of bikes, and the lack of lower cost options, disturbing?? :eek:

Totally, but

You can still get really good deals on new bikes and there are tons on the used market at great prices.

But yes, the price range is huge.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Right, but if I'm on a limited budget, I don't see why I need a full suspension enduro style bike. Again - people were riding gnarly stuff on a lot less bike not too long ago. Hell, *I* was riding somewhat gnarly stuff on a 100mm XC bike not long ago, and I am by far not an exceptionally skilled or gutsy rider.
Exactly!

I was riding pretty gnarly stuff on my cross bike...then I demoed longer travel full susp bikes...well you know what happened next :doh::huh::cool:

The key obviously is to get the best bike you can for where, what and how you are going to ride or want to ride. There just so many amazing trails in Colorado and a lot of times there are optional lines so you dont have to get on the gnarly stuff. Many trails are smooth singletrack which are hella fun on even on a cross bike.

...now where should I ride this afternoon?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If people think they need to spend thousands on an entry level bike I think they might be disturbed.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
What you're saying is one can't walk into a bike shop and get a mt bike for $500 that's decent? And then, forget upgrading it as parts will cost much more?
Pretty much. If one of my friends came to me as a complete beginner and said they want to get into mt biking and wanted a "new" bike I would recommend going something like this to start.

A fork upgrade that comes on the build kit might add $100 over the standard but costs $300 to buy on its own. Likely if you are an enthusiast type person your going to justify to yourself spending $2500 within a few years to get on something nicer rather than upgrading parts on a $900 bike.

image.jpeg

But like @Ken_R said it depends on where you live also. If you live in ohio that bike may be all you ever really need

Last edited:

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Just as an example, if you go to Trekbikes.com and select all Men's Road bikes, it returns 82 results. 4 are under $2k. Granted some of those 82 results are frame-only. I could buy a custom frame for $1200, a 105 gruppo for $400 and still have money left over from $2k. Wow.

No you couldn't. (I'm going cheap here on the "other" stuff) Wheels, at least $400, tires, another $100, Handlebar, $75, tape $25, Cables, $50, Stem $50, Seatpost, $50, Saddle, $100, playing cards to make a cool noise in your spokes $5. That's almost a grand and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I've build many bikes over the years and it is never cheaper. You get exactly what you want, but you pay for it.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
No you couldn't. (I'm going cheap here on the "other" stuff) Wheels, at least $400, tires, another $100, Handlebar, $75, tape $25, Cables, $50, Stem $50, Seatpost, $50, Saddle, $100, playing cards to make a cool noise in your spokes $5. That's almost a grand and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I've build many bikes over the years and it is never cheaper. You get exactly what you want, but you pay for it.
I meant you still have money leftover to buy the rest of the stuff and you're getting a custom frame. I hear ya..I was in the biz for 10 years..

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I just want to know where you get a well made custom frame these days for $1200. Most builders I've seen are charging twice that. At least.

Local guy that I've met a few times around town. Not a big name in the custom bike world, but solid builder. His frames start at $3k with fork.

Sponsor

Staff online